cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winegard Travler DirectTV HD Model-SK-SWM3

karensmuzk
Explorer
Explorer
New to using the Winegard Travler DirectTV HD Model-SK-SWM3, which gives us 3 satellite's and HD. Would like to say we are going full time again with our 5th after a 7 year break and technology has changed a lot since then. Also, we are a directv customer so Camping World suggested the Winegard Directv traveler slim line traveler.

DH installed the dish and connected the power box and new Directv receiver, wich was recommended by Directv, with some assistance from both Winegard and Directv. Everything works great. The only problem no one once mentioned we would not be able to record our favorite shows. We only have a receiver.
Now Directv tells us we need to also purchase a dvr from them. Long story... but we purchased the directv HD genie receiver from them this year. When we first started changing our service to the 5th wheel one of their contracted installers came out and told us our reciever wouldn't work in our rv so he took it. Now we wonder is that true and are there other options other than purchasing a dvr from Directv. We've spent a lot already and just want to record our shows. Can we buy a dvr at Wal-mart to connect with our receiver? You're ideas and thoughts are appreciated. Thank you!
11 REPLIES 11

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good news.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

karensmuzk
Explorer
Explorer
Yes,it's the Genie.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
:B I hope you mean the Genie. You'll love it!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

karensmuzk
Explorer
Explorer
Directv is sending us our receiver back. Thank you all for your help and ideas.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The HR44 is $110 on Amazon. Also posted is this: Also required to be activated as a "Leased Receiver" as per DirecTV policy change

Perhaps go to Amazon and read the comments would help.

Bob

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
karensmuzk wrote:
CA Traveler,yes hindsight we know what we did was not best but trusting Directv and their tech/installer guy and Winegard was our first mistake. We know how things work in general and thought they could come out just like our house and do an installation into our 5th wheel. The first contact at Directv told us no problem. He comes out and said our receiver wouldn't work in the rv. Had to buy one specifically for rv's from them. We didn't know any different so got the receiver from Camping World and ordered the Winegard Directv traveler slim line too. We weren't aware that our house receiver would work. It was useless to us at the time so we let him take it. Big mistake.
I just want to know at this point will any dvr work to add to our setup. If not what do we need to get recorded programs. Don't want to pay more for one of their dvr or tech to install.

You can't just add a DVR, you need a receiver like the Genie (or exactly a Genie in my opinion). The Genie will work in the RV exactly as one would work at home as the Trav'ler antenna is exactly the same as an antenna on a home. If you would like to be able to watch 2 different channels on 2 different TV's at the same time you will also need a client (wireless makes it really easy).
If you don't, can't or won't get a Genie then any of the DTV receivers that start with HR (High def. Recorder) will work with the Trav'ler as well.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you know someone with a SWM receiver perhaps they would let you test your SWM dish in the RV so you would know that it works, just a thought.

The locals (ie national programs) are spot beamed and when you drive several hundred miles you lose them. You can call and get the locals for whatever new area you're in. You may want to get Distant Network Services (DNS) for about $7/mth and then you can receive the nations anywhere in the US.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
FYI DTV receivers are leased not purchased. Regardless of what CW said or charged you leased the receiver and perhaps any charges were the CW profit. With an older receiver DTV may not want it back. There are some older and likely obsolete receivers that some folks may own.

Most DTV installers and phone contact know little about RVs. You should get a SWM receiver like the HR24, HR44 and HR54 (4K) for your RV SWM dish. There may be equipment to convert the SWM signal for a non SWM receiver, not sure.

We really like the HR44 which can record 5 shows at once. We very rarely watch live TV but rather watch a hour show in about 30 minutes. A tree site for the RV is not a problem as we have lots of recorded shows. We don't have or want a Genie client but it's always a option. The remote is RF so the receiver can go anywhere. Ours is mounted vertically in the back of a cabinet, no need to see it.

Bob

karensmuzk
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler,yes hindsight we know what we did was not best but trusting Directv and their tech/installer guy and Winegard was our first mistake. We know how things work in general and thought they could come out just like our house and do an installation into our 5th wheel. The first contact at Directv told us no problem. He comes out and said our receiver wouldn't work in the rv. Had to buy one specifically for rv's from them. We didn't know any different so got the receiver from Camping World and ordered the Winegard Directv traveler slim line too. We weren't aware that our house receiver would work. It was useless to us at the time so we let him take it. Big mistake.
I just want to know at this point will any dvr work to add to our setup. If not what do we need to get recorded programs. Don't want to pay more for one of their dvr or tech to install.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, the Genie would have worked. The dish assembly you have is SWM, so it would have been a simple plug and play. Get rid of the receiver you have, get a Genie system back. Remember you will want the Genie, and a mini Genie for each TV you want to use beyond the main one. If you go with the wireless system you will also need the video bridge. Been using the Genie in our fiver for several years with no problems. Except the crappy Winegard Travler and the horrible customer service from Winegard.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have the HR44 Genie DVR receiver which is SWM only. It works equally well at home and the RV since both have SWM dishes.

Can't read the installers mind or even know why he came out. Didn't you try the receiver in the rig?

Bob