cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wireless networks while camping

Bellpr
Explorer
Explorer
How do you solve the Wireless computer network issue for all your wireless devices (Cell Phone, Computers, Tablets, etc) when camping? Most of the Campgrounds I have been to lately have had poor to none wireless service at the campsite. The main buildings are ok. Unless you are parked near a main buildings, you are SOL. How do you acquire Internet service and share it between your devices? Maybe you are Truly off the grid and don't....
39 REPLIES 39

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
laknox wrote:
One thing I've not figured out is why CGs that are renovating or being built from scratch, don't simply run hard lines to the pedestal, just as they do for cable TV. Could have a small wireless router in the pedestal itself OR, have a CAT connection to plug in to.

Lyle

Cost is why they don't do it. Running wires and the supporting infrastructure is far more costly than doing Wireless.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Ubiquity antenna listed below works extremely well. I am in a campground where the signal in the RV "exists" but only if I sit in the front seat and it will not stay connected. I added the NanoStation plus the air gateway and I have a -40dB (very good) instead of a -99dB (very bad) connection. You don't have to do the wireless part but since I use multiple devices it's very nice and the entire setup cost me less than $80.

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-NanoStation-locoM2-2-4GHz-Outdoor/dp/B004EGI3CI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qi...
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
ken burke wrote:
taken wrote:
To boost cell phone signal for use as a wireless hotspot, use this:

RV Cell Signal Booster

To boost campground WIFI signal use this:

WIFI Booster

Do these boosters really work where there is a weak incoming signal? I haven't seen a booster that really works given a weak incoming signal.

my wilson amp works with a weak signal, and often when my phone won't get any connection I can get 3 bars with the wilson amp and external 1/2 wave antenna.

Hint. there are places we go were CDMA reception is zilch (Verizon etc.) or where GMS signal is zilch (ATT etc.) However, often 1 is good.. Our phones are CDMA (verizon) if I can't get a signal, I try our truck onstar which is GSM for the phone and internet. Often that works.

So, I know many folks that travel a lot and have two phones, wife has one carrier, husband another. just make sure one carrier is GSM and one is CDMA.

but there are still places w/o any coverage. we also have a spot connect that lets us send text messages to a list of contacts via satelite connection. Unforetunetly, the system is half duplex and can't recieve messages.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

MrWizard
data uses minutes ONLY on pre-paid phones

wifi hotspot from the phone uses from your phone data allotment , which is on cellular NOT wifi, the wifi is the connection between your phone and your PC/laptop/ipad etc..
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
just another comment, repeat i am sorry but am understand the phone use for wifi works but also may use up minutes on phone and wifi megabytes. i use the wifi and the phone, inexpensive with our plan, only $20 for the wifi. Also double check; if yo are retired, like me, i used to have a discount through my employer and guess what, my state retirement pension qualified me for a 15% discount which enables me to offset the cost of the wifi, Verizon is my service. I am not endorsing this company but have been with them since inception and have had basically no issues, only the actual phone or device which had been resolved. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
Please Read New Satellite System on the Way. which works with the Gen 4
" First of all, please check out our โ€œgood-bye to StarBand pageโ€: http://www.mobileinternetsatellite.com/

Then, just click โ€œHOMEโ€ to enter the site, which has been updated with information about the new HughesNet service we will begin offering soon.

Things are still on hold while all the โ€œtโ€s get crossed ... Not much besides the web site update happened this week, but hopefully we will soon have our system.

Iโ€™ll let you know when we get our system. Once we have it, we can begin learning what is different about the new Jupiter system and creating our documentation for it.

We will have to travel to visit a friend in Prescott Valley, in order to test the Spaceway system and learn about it. Itโ€™s a lower priority, because it is going away next year.

Please check the services page and the map shown there to determine if you MIGHT need the older Spaceway system AND you would want to get it and upgrade next year! Or, if you would likely just wait until the Jupiter coverage is available everywhere you want it.

If no one plans to get a Spaceway system, we may just skip learning about that system entirely. So let me know, please! It will save us a lot of time, energy and expense.

Check out the new info, primarily in the Equipment & Service menu, but all over the site there are some changes.

Let me know if you have any questions and/or corrections to note.

And, please let us know when you plan to get a HughesNet system, so we can start planning for that.

We hope to be ready for Tucson installs and training in early October at the latest and remote installs a month or so after that.

Take care,
Barb
http://www.MobileInternetSatellite.com
"
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkane wrote:
Bellpr wrote:
Has anyone found a product like HugheNet Gen4 for Home Satellite Internet Service that is portable and could be used for RVing?

Did some preliminary research. The antenna for mobile use were like $2500!

The automatic RV DataSAT 840 system is $5995, but the new RTC tripod based system is just $995. Expect to spend at least an hour or so aiming it. Both require a monthly data subscription of course.

Another New RV Satellite Option
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
derh20 wrote:
I don't understand the advantage of the MiFI or the Verizon JetPack. I have Verizon and there is an app that is bundled in the phone called "mobile hotspot" I just turn it on and my wife and i use it. It works great as long as you have a decent signal.

How well does that work when you receive a phone call or take the phone with you leaving the other person with no Internet service? Our Verizon MiFi handles our 7 devices with no concerns about where our phones are.
Dutch

mkane
Explorer
Explorer
Bellpr wrote:
Has anyone found a product like HugheNet Gen4 for Home Satellite Internet Service that is portable and could be used for RVing?

Did some preliminary research. The antenna for mobile use were like $2500!

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bellpr wrote:

Hughes Gen4 is a spot beamed service that is not practical for mobile RV'ers since there are no provisions for easily changing locations like there is for satellite TV local station reception. There are a couple of companies though, that offer equipment and services that are suitable for mobile RV'ers if you have a spare thousand or so lying around to get started.
Dutch

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
I don't understand the advantage of the MiFI or the Verizon JetPack. I have Verizon and there is an app that is bundled in the phone called "mobile hotspot" I just turn it on and my wife and i use it. It works great as long as you have a decent signal.

MrWizard
i usse the hotspot on my verizon cell phone, or tether the phone to the PC via usb cable

i use a wilson sleek amplifier to improve the cell tower signal
not the strongest or the most expensive system, in fact very likely the least expensive, but it works for me 'Most of the time'

i have ordered a MiFi hot spot extend my capabilities
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
We have Verizon MIFI and it works very well. There are times that we don't have a signal, that's ok, we find a spot and let the family know where we are if needed. We have actually had a signal with MIFI in places where i did not have cell phone signal. Onstar does not always have a signal either, as we found out when close to the Mexico border southern Arizona, in parts of the mountain / valley areas. It is hit and miss. But i do agree with others, i don't use campground hot spots or the ones at coffee shops etc. a simple $20 per month as part of my phone plan, i have internet service. You can also go onto the verizon website and find out the service in the area you travel. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
We spend a month in FL on an Air Force Base Fam Camp.

They have cable in the CG. Manager worked out an arrangement with the cable provider to allow campers to pick up a modem from the phone company and hook it up in the CG.

Worked great last winter and we only had to pay for the amount of days we used the modem.