cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

World of Tanks?

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I have no idea where it came from, but every night at about the same time my Internet Explorer opens up and "World of Tanks". I only have to shut IE down but I have no idea how to stop this. I almost never use IE as a browser. This is especially annoying when I am watching a Netflix or Amazon movie. I have run Malwarebytes and Spyhunter but they don't see the problem.

Am I the only one who experiences this? Does anyone know how to stop it. I, last night, tried a trial version of a Parental Control program to see it this has an effect. I will see tonight if it works but don't plan to pay $39.95 to buy the registered version.

Any solution would be appreciated. I can't stand it when something tries to make unwanted changes to my computer.
8 REPLIES 8

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
This was not a popup. It actually opens IE with the World of Tanks page. I am not a gamer. It's just an annoyance to me.

RFW63050
Explorer
Explorer
I actually play W.O.T. and the popup has never been part of anything I've seen.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Camperpaul. That was it. Found and disabled it in "task scheduler".

There is nothing installed on my computer to cause this. That is something I check regularly by "date installed". No newly installed programs get by without being noticed.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of programs will bundle******with them. Either they will have a checkbox, or a spurious "accept/deny" button. Some download sites will package software with a "wrapper" that brings things in addition to the requested program.

If you are Windows-savvy, there is a tool called Autoruns that is useful for seeing what is running and putting the kibosh on unwanted programs starting up.

It might not hurt to check your installed programs. You might have something in there called something similar to "game-saver" or "super-saver" that adds add-ons to Web browsers.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe they're simply saying "Tanks" for using their program.....:B

Sorry, the devil made me type it.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is a common problem.. I went to download a program I have used in the past and it installed some adware on my machine.. Took quite a bit to slap it down (Finally succeeded).

If all else fails google: How do I get rid of __________ (fill in the blank with the program that is bothering you) some solutions are harder than others, but usually they are the ones that work best.

I really think when jerks do that (I kind of wish I'd have done a bit more research on the one that bit me) Folks would send them a thank you note.

SUBPOENA
You are to appear in the ## circuit court
State of ____ located at ___address___
to show cause why you should not pay
__your name__ 1 million dollars as penality
for installing your mal-ware on his computer.

That kind of a "Thank you" note.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look in your "scheduled tasks". You may find WoT in there.

If so, just delete the task.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might try googling 'world of tanks popup'.. if that's what's happening. Some discussion on it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman