cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1990 Elandan Help Needed

Jwalli22
Explorer
Explorer
We ran the vehicle to get propane and fuel. We then parked it to load up, and now it won't turn over. We got a new starter and battery. It still won't turn over... Any ideas?
15 REPLIES 15

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear you got it fixed! I had a similar problem on an 87 Itasca Windcruiser. It turned out to be a bad ground at the chassis where the ground from the battery attached. Can be tricky to find as it was intermittent.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Jwalli22
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! I think we've found the problem. I jumped the ground wire from the batt with a new one... Fired right up!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The solenoid on top of the starter could be failing. You can get parts for many to repair them. Or the other option while you have it out is to have it bench tested at your local auto parts store.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Jwalli22
Explorer
Explorer
Chevy chassis 37rq Elandan

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What chassis is your rig on?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Jwalli22
Explorer
Explorer
2 cylinoids side by side. They're far from new, so that could be a possibility. We tried charging the old battery, and have tried 2 new ones. I'm going to pull the starter again and try cleaning connections there a little better. Could testing the generator have anything to do with it? We tried before the problem arose with the failed start.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's the neutral control/safety switch, try starting it in neutral instead of park. Sometimes that works for awhile.

Jwalli22
Explorer
Explorer
We tried holding the aux switch too, while turning the key. Same thing. We've been cleaning connections and checking wires, but no luck so far. Havnt found an emergency start switch.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Does your rig have an auxiliary start switch on the dash? It sounds like low battery amperage to start system. Using the aux. start will supply more amperage to the starter.
Check your ground connection on the chassis battery on both ends.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it chugs once, that's "turning over'โ€”i.e. the engine is rotating. Sounds as though the starter isn't getting full power for some reason, which could be a bad battery (even though it's newโ€”it isn't too common, but it does happen sometimes that they have manufacturing defects), a discharged battery, or a bad connection somewhere. Check the battery cables and ground connections. Included in these checks are making sure that the wires themselves are firmly attached to the battery clamps and are not broken or chafed there; I've seen at least one case where the wire looked fine but was actually not attached to the battery clamp internally due to corrosion etc.

Do you have an "emergency start" button that connects in the house battery?

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have a solenoid like this?

Could it be bad?
Find the switch press it and see if you hear clicking at solenoid?

Solenoid should be replaced BUT can be carefully removed taken apart and the big inside washer and terminals cleaned. It will probably work for a while
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Jwalli22 wrote:
Ill give that a shot. when you turn the key it chugs once then just clicks...

One click or a bunch of them that just keep going?

Jwalli22
Explorer
Explorer
Ill give that a shot. when you turn the key it chugs once then just clicks...

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Does the lights on the dash light up when the ignition switch is in the run position?
No could indicate that the fuse link has burnt out. GM chassis fuse link is down by starter, Ford chassis the fuse link is near the starter solenoid on firewall area.
If the lights come on, it could be the neutral safety switch. Apply parking brake and try to start in neutral rather then park. Wiggle the shift lever while holding in start position.
Could also be connector on the ignition switch if GM. It is mounted at base of steering column

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow