cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1st RV Purchase

darrenlaiche
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I will be empty nesters in the Summer of 2017. Will mostly be us 2 RVing across the country working and playing, but will occasionally have 1-3 of our college aged kids. We are leaning towards a 5th Wheel due to more room, but open to a driving RV. What do you recommend and why? Particular brands with alot of storage, King Bed, recliners?
18 REPLIES 18

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The how it is intended to be used will dictate what the choices will be. If the intention is to do some serious traveling a unit best suited for weekending or the once a year vacation trip is not going to cut it.

If it is full or extended traveling it needs a workable galley, which means lots of working counter space otherwise there will be one unhappy cook in no time at all. It will mean a large fridge to eliminate frequent trips to the grocery, when a store may not be near by.

If doing things like bluegrass festivals, or other events where dry camping is often what it is, a unit with decent water capacity is needed. 60gal freshwater capacity is barely good for a few days.

Storage. Storage is needed for all that essential 'stuff' that needs to be onhand when things go wrong. There is no dashing home to get something for the fulltimer or extended traveler.

Defining the 'must haves' narrows the choices real fast.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
garmp1 wrote:
Pardon me, I must have missed something. What's the 6,4,2 rule?

It was stated in the second reply: Max for a RV - 6 for cocktails; 4 for dinner; 2 for sleeping
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pardon me, I must have missed something. What's the 6,4,2 rule?
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

darrenlaiche
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for the great info. We are bouncing between a 5th wheel and a Class C, but have made 2 decisions based on the info that all of you provided. We are purchasing something that fits us and any guest will have to make due (6/4/2)! Secondly, we are going to slow down a little and make sure we look at everything before making a firm decision.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Follow the 6,4,2 rule. No need to be concerned about sleeping accomodation for any more than 2. They can sleep in a tent, in the recliner rockers, the pull out sofa not pulled out or, as one of mine did, in the truck.

It is your retirement home on wheels, not theirs.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have to figure out just what it is you want to do. I've had RVs I've towed, RVs I've driven, and now considering going back, or one of each, for different uses.

Are you going to be moving everyday? A smallish motorized RV has worked well for two of us, 30,000 miles of travel over five years.

Are you going to be going places to stay for a week, a month, several months? A towed RV, or a motorized RV towing a smaller vehicle, works better, because you can leave your house set up and still get around.

I go along with the idea of sizing the RV for your needs. Unless your solution turns out to be very tiny, there is usually extra space for guests, but you end up converting living space to sleeping space, and having folks double up who might be accustomed to sleeping solo.

Can't recommend brands without some idea of what you will be doing, what size you are thinking of, what is your budget.

For motorized RVs, if you are thinking about a 45 foot motorcoach and can spend $2,000,000 there are half a dozen custom builders who can create exactly what suits you. If you are budgeting $200,000 to $500,000 there are as just many manufacturers building standardized Class A RVs with a variety of floor plans and optional features, with not much difference among them. Some of the same manufacturers are in the $50,000 to $200,000 Class A and Class C market, with a few more at the low end.

In towable RVs, there are about a dozen manufacturers making almost 200 different brands or nameplates, and at any given price point, they are pretty much interchangable. To pick one, you need to look at a lot of RVs just to see what they are and how they might be used, figure out how you want to use the RV, then buy what is the closest fit to your intentions, within your budget.

For my wife and I, this was a 15 month process. For the first year, a lot of RV shows to look at hundreds of different RVs, figuring out what we wanted. Last three months of it we knew we wanted a Class C motorhome 28-30 feet, so I was about looking at those until we found the one that said "this is it."

Don't rush the process, or you may be in the group that starts shopping again after 3-6 months in the RV, because you've learned what you don't like and you need to find something else that takes care of that particular problem. We have folks in our RV club that get into that cycle, but usually find what they need with their 3rd or 4th purchase. So start looking now, RV shows particularly for variety, always thinking "how will I use this, what will it be like living in this?"
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing you need to think about is the kind of camping you plan to do to determine which is the best for you. If you plan to mostly stay at high end RV resorts you might want to consider one kind, but if your dream is parked in the woods in the middle of nowhere, another kind might be best.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Someone in a campground said "I don't care how big a Class A motor home is, it's for 2 people." Some C's are better.
Jayco-noslide

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
OP,

Keep in mind there are drawbacks to every form of RV so find what works best in your situation.

Driveable RV - once set-up, you will not want to break down camp to drive for tourist activities or those items you forgot and need to run to the store for. Required in my mind is the added cost of a suitable toad and it's tow connection. Another downside is the ability to bring a toy like an ATV/SxS and also a toad? Doesn't work out so well unless you find a driveable toy hauler RV and can still tow a toad.

5th Wheel - You will require having a suitable truck to pull it and many will conclude that having too much truck is not an issue versus the opposite. 5ths are generally larger trailers and possibly more cost associated with the original purchase. Bed of truck is generally used up with the 5th hitch so if you have toys (kayaks, bikes, motorcycle/ATV) you will need to find an appropriate 5th to take them along --> toy hauler.

Travel trailer - Can use truck or SUV for towing completely dependent on the size/weight of the trailer. Again, don't assume any SUV can tow any trailer as there are many trailers, usually the more quality built also for more seasons, that are plenty heavy and I would not consider going with less than a 1-ton SRW truck or equal van for those heavy TTs. You will have the bed of the truck for usage but be very careful how much you are loading in the truck and truck bed as that counts against your available payload... this is the same for both TT and 5th. Less storage and difficulty fine-tuning the hitch is generally accepted as a downside to a TT. There are smaller, lightweight TTs that can be pulled with smaller SUVs/trucks and then there are teardrops too.

Truck Camper (TC) - Generally need a 1-ton and possibly dually as a lot of the nicer TCs with slideouts are VERY heavy campers. Less space inside so a little more cramped and would not be something I would consider with more than me and my wife. There are families that do TCs, but it is not my preference of camper style for my family of four. However, once the kids leave the nest, I'm selling my TT and buying a nice TC which also means I will need to upgrade to a DRW truck. Advantages are you can go into more remote areas and tow an additional trailer with toys and still have the ability to back up the trailer.

Certainly, these are not all the pluses/minuses of each general type and these are generalities to give you an idea of the downsides of each. Keep reading on this forum to give you better ideas of what those who own RVs are doing. It may become confusing at first, but over time you will start to get better ideas of what might be best for you.

I know there are many who believe buying your first RV will be short term until you want to go bigger and that does happen a lot. I, however, have a 30 foot point-to-bumper TT and tow it with a 1-ton modern diesel in the CO mountains. My TT is GVWR at 9500 lbs and many will say my 1-ton diesel is not needed. But, I like to load my 800 lbs ATV into my truck bed and tow my trailer out further into the CO mountains or Moab so a 1-ton makes perfect sense. But, I would like to get into more remote areas of CO where towing my TT is just too big. I will be downsizing to a TC once the kids go off to college. Point is, think through what you ultimately would like to do in your RV excursions and then start planning from there.
I love me some land yachting

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
I love to ask sales people one question "How many nights did you spend in your RV in the last 12 months." You will find that they no nothing about RVing,just how to point things out like the awning is electric. and the fridge runs on propane. I suggest learn on here from all of us and go in some what knowledgeable.
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
We had the same 31' TT for 18 yrs, 12 were in retirement. We've now had a 31' 5er for going on 5yrs.

The TT had a small slide for the sofa. Dinette and kitchen were in the front. Claim was to sleep 6 but 4 was more like it for adults anyway. A week in one spot was the longest sitting time. Used it a lot and loved it.

The 5er we've spent 3 months on one site every winter. Sleeps 2, has a inflatable mattress for the fold out couch and have used it on occasion but it gets crowded quick. Has a table and 4 chairs instead of the dinette but we mostly sit in the recliners with a small table between us. Like the 5er best, more room with 2-14' slides and a small one in the bedroom. Easier to hook up, tow and back at least for me.

Before we bought out first TT we went to several RV shows and made notes of what we liked and didn't. We didn't settle or deviate from our list, which is probably why we kept it for so long.

Don't believe what some salesman tells you. They will have you towing a behemoth with a Chevy Volt and your 1st experience will not be a good one. Figure out what you want and then figure out what you need to tow it. Get it right the first time, life is to short. Even with a MH you'll need a toad.

Good luck and happy travels.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
The 6-4-2 rule works well for us. With a motor in front, and a gennie underneath. Four jacks or leveling. 7-day tanks.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
JWRoberts wrote:
stickdog wrote:
A tent for the young ones. The perfect RV has room for Cocktails for 6, dinner for four and sleeps two.

+1

+1
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

JWRoberts
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:
A tent for the young ones. The perfect RV has room for Cocktails for 6, dinner for four and sleeps two.

+1