cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th wheel or MH ? help

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Ok we were thinking of a 29ft or under MH so we didn't need a toad...now wife says maybe a 5th wheel would be better than we have a truck to drive..
I liked the MH idea so everything was there ie: generator etc also just being able to pull over and not having to go outside etc...
Do fifth wheels have generators ?? Also I was going to buy a truck anyway as a third vehicle so maybe id just buy a bigger truck...
Our plan was fall camping after the crowds were gone, just wife me and dog...
And bringing bikes etc...
Guess we could just get a small toad...UGGGG !!!
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE
40 REPLIES 40

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
luberhill wrote:
Well I guess that's one way to look at it but not the intended way, my point that seemed to have gone over your head is IF im buying a truck to pull a 5th with, everything ive read says 1/2 ton truck is minimal for pulling...so IF im buying a truck anyway and there is always a chance of getting a bigger trailer why not just get the 3/4 ton to start with, in pulling its always better to error on the safe side and I never hear anyone saying " jeez this pulls too easy and gets too much fuel mileage, I should have bought a smaller truck" 🙂
Kapish ?

If you are thinking of getting a large 5th wheel eventually, bump right up to the 1 ton dually diesel (seriously) but that wasn't what you asked.

If you get a 3/4ton, you will still have limitations on what you can pull assuming common production 5th wheels. We've got our F250 pretty much maxed out pulling a 34' rig now. If we wanted to bump up any more, I would want to upgrade the truck.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
im looking at used,,,2103 or 14 when bodies were still steel...also I watched the reviews on the new ones towing a fifth...the Ford towed easier, was quieter, fuel mileage went to GM, and interior went to Dodge...
I know maintenance on the diesel is higher costs,,,and IF I don't end up with a TT or 5th driving around in a f250 diesel probably wouldn't be the best,,,

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
luberhill wrote:
so a 25 ft trailer, would that be a 5th or travel ??
And would a 3/4 ton Ford diesel be best to tow or gas or ???

It’s the best for those that like Ford the most....
All are of about equal capabilities. Ford and GM diesels are whisper quiet now. Ram is the only one that still sounds like a truck, barely.
Seriously, you should go look at some trucks.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Guess im thinking IF im going to buy a truck anyway, should I get an f250 instead of an F150 IF I might buy a TT or 5th...we are still leaning towards a small (under 30ft) motorhome...but im still going to buy a pickup...is the fuel mileage that much worse on a 250 than a 150 ??
Then diesel or gas question IF im not going to be towing....UGGG !!

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
luberhill wrote:

Has to mean Travel Trailer.
A 25' 5th wheel is rarer and way less room than a 25' TT. The 5th wheel is measured from nose to bumper, while a TT is measured from tongue to bumper.
The nose of a 5th wheel is longer than the TT tongue.

??? A fifth wheel is usually measured from pin to rear. A 25 ft 5th wheel has more room then a 25 ft travel trailer as it is measured from ball to rear giving approx 21-22 ft of living space compared to 25 ft for the 5th wheel.
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
The prior truck we had was a 3/4 ton, V10, 6.8L and it had problems pulling the FW we currently have. No problems whatsoever with the 1 ton we now have.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Well I guess that's one way to look at it but not the intended way, my point that seemed to have gone over your head is IF im buying a truck to pull a 5th with, everything ive read says 1/2 ton truck is minimal for pulling...so IF im buying a truck anyway and there is always a chance of getting a bigger trailer why not just get the 3/4 ton to start with, in pulling its always better to error on the safe side and I never hear anyone saying " jeez this pulls too easy and gets too much fuel mileage, I should have bought a smaller truck" 🙂
Kapish ?

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
luberhill wrote:
Id rather have overkill than underkill 🙂 Question, Ive always liked Ford, are they the truck of choice with most for pulling 5th wheels ?? And it looks like all the F250's have diesels, don't they use the V10 anymore ??
Isnt the diesel noisy going down the road ?? That constant roar...

Then by all means go out and get a class 8 semi-tractor and get lots of overkill. 😉

Our last truck was a diesel F250 (1992 vintage) and wasn't particularly noisy.

Our current truck is a V10 F250. Also not particularly noisy, with the exception of climbing a grade. Gas engines need lots of RPM to put out max HP and that can be a bit noisy. We aren't constantly climbing grades so not really an issue.

Both work fine but we are pulling a bigger trailer than a little 25'.

It won't hurt to bump up to a 3/4 ton but for a 25' trailer, you don't need it.

Ford/GM/Dodge...them's fighting words.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
.... regarding not being able to back up with a toad. We never got into a position to do so. If needed, you just take 5 minutes and unhook the car but rarely would there be a need. Yes, we could unhook in 5 minutes. 🙂
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
luberhill wrote:
Id rather have overkill than underkill 🙂 Question, Ive always liked Ford, are they the truck of choice with most for pulling 5th wheels ?? And it looks like all the F250's have diesels, don't they use the V10 anymore ??

Newer diesels are quiet unlike those of the past and they don't stink.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
I figured that it was easier to unhook a toad from a motor home that it was to unhook a 5er from a truck.

It's about a wash to hook up.

With a 5th wheel, you just back the pickup onto the pin and it snaps in place. Lock it and pull the landing gear and you are done.

With a TOAD, not greatly different. Pull up to the back of the MH, go around attach the links, lock in place and you still have to pull up the MH stabilizers.

A TT is a little more as you have the torsion bars and sway control and you have to be more precise backing up to the trailer but even that is only maybe 2-3 minutes more effort once you get the hang of it.

Where a MH starts to be advantageous for moving frequently is if you get into the sub 25' units with no slides, no toad and you don't set up much at the campsite. There you can unplug and be on your way a little quicker but are you really under that much time pressure to save 10 minutes?

You forgot to mention that with the toad hooked up, you can't back up. You have to unhook the toad to back up.

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
luberhill wrote:

A 3/4 ton diesel would tow very nicely but is probably overkill for either.

A basic gas V8 1/2 ton will likely be enough. Check the ratings as they can vary quite a bit but the more capable 1/2 ton trucks could handle a 25' from either.

If you get up around 28-30', you probably want to consider a 3/4ton if you go 5th wheel. The key consideration is typically the pin weight for a 5th wheel. A gas engine is still very reasonable in this size range. This will typically have much more living space compared to a 29' MH where the cockpit eats up 4-5' of living space.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
jplante4 wrote:
I figured that it was easier to unhook a toad from a motor home that it was to unhook a 5er from a truck.

It's about a wash to hook up.

With a 5th wheel, you just back the pickup onto the pin and it snaps in place. Lock it and pull the landing gear and you are done.

With a TOAD, not greatly different. Pull up to the back of the MH, go around attach the links, lock in place and you still have to pull up the MH stabilizers.

A TT is a little more as you have the torsion bars and sway control and you have to be more precise backing up to the trailer but even that is only maybe 2-3 minutes more effort once you get the hang of it.

Where a MH starts to be advantageous for moving frequently is if you get into the sub 25' units with no slides, no toad and you don't set up much at the campsite. There you can unplug and be on your way a little quicker but are you really under that much time pressure to save 10 minutes?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'