cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding Tow Package for Toad

jerryc1976
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new jeep Cherokee and want to add the appropriate tow package (to the front) so it can be towed.

Is it best to have the dealer do it?

I'm handy but not willing to take it on.

If the dealer isn't ideal, are there other places to talk to? I'm in Va Beach, VA.
Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

olygene
Explorer
Explorer
I think WildToad is right when he says to use CW. I have had independent shops repair/work on my RV but when I was on the road and the repair did not hold, I had to find another local shop and pay for another repair to the repair. I then used CW to do repair and installation on my RV and the work was professional and the price reasonable (a bit on the higher side though). BUT, if the repair or installation was incorrect or did not hold, I went to the nearest CW and the problem was corrected with no charge (except for new parts however I got credit for the original parts). As an example, I had work done on my Black Water valve in TX because it leaked. The new valve worked until I reached Las Vegas and then started leaking again. I took it into the local CW and they repaired the valve without charge. If I had taken it to an independent in TX, I would have had to pay a new repair bill in Las Vegas. I take my 3 cars to a local independent garage but when it comes to the RV, I take it to CW.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
X2
Give your 'local' RV dealership the work. It will pay you back 10 fold down the line when you need some work done and need it done right away. You will then be an established customer and yes it will give you a better status service wise over others.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I had the hookups for my Jeep Wrangler toad installed at the same dealer where I bought my 'C'. They did a great job and continue to service my 'C' even though they stopped servicing MHs from people that didn't buy them there. The MH manufacturers required them to keep too many on their lot on spec, so they only sell trailers and 5ers now. They also have an on site store for add-on accessories. About a half mile from home.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had CW install the Roadmaster bracket on my sonic and they did a good job. They frequently run specials for the bracket, tow bar, wiring, and accessories. They did a good job.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you want to get it done, check for a Roadmaster supplier/resource in the area: an RV dealer who installs, hitch installers often sell them and mobile RV mechanics who have experience doing this. Just some starting points. Of course Camping World sells and installs them................... effectiveness of their service areas seems to be very location dependent. Over the years we have had good and bad experiences at CW. Remember you need the base plates, actual tow bar and then electrical added. Don;t forget to consider a Toad Brake which I think is essential. GOOD LUCK!

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO this is the one time I would use a shop that does a lot of RV's.
The base plate is not that easy to put on and hope you got it on correctly. A lot is riding on that base plate being installed correctly. Then you have to go out and buy the correct tow bar for it figure out the lighting/braking wiring for diodes etc.

When I first went to my local repair shop their eyes glazed over when I started talking- base plate - towing four down - RV!

So I took my toad to a dealership and they put it all on for me. Diodes for the lights, wiring, base plate, tow bar. It was ready to hook up to the MH when I picked it up.

For me it just seemed a whole lot easier and had piece of mind it was done correctly.
And I am REAL GLAD I did bring it there. The base plate the manual said my car needed did not fit.

When the service guys in the back got it they knew right away why it would not fit my toad and they ordered the correct one which actually was for another model 'because they had done so many of them'. Sometimes experiences trumps saving a few bucks on someone that does not have the experience of doing a lot of them.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

jerryc1976
Explorer
Explorer
Many thanks. I'll look around some more.

Cheers

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
jerryc1976 wrote:
I have a new jeep Cherokee and want to add the appropriate tow package (to the front) so it can be towed.

Is it best to have the dealer do it?

I'm handy but not willing to take it on.

If the dealer isn't ideal, are there other places to talk to? I'm in Va Beach, VA.
Thanks

I did my Vitara myself. Got a few bruised knuckles but I found the process to be very doable. There are several youtube videos that are very helpful, several are model specific. Back to your question, in my neck of the woods the larger RV dealers do it, hitch outfits like Uhaul, and a buddy of mine had a local body shop install his. You will find the price to be all over the map, anywhere from a few hundred bucks to over a grand just for the install.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd