cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on handheld electric drill for jacks

TheTichenors
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to buy a dedicated handheld electric drill for raising and lowering my stabilizer jacks on my 30' Surveyor TT. I am also wanting to use it on the jacks of my ProPride hitch.

Should I get the type that has an 'impact wrench' function or just stick to the basic high-torque drill/driver models? I was thinking the impact wrench function would be handy for getting the jacks started but I don't want to damage anything.

Thoughts?
40 REPLIES 40

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
bukhrn wrote:
"Don’t worry about the geezers who are annoyed with 30 seconds of “noise”. Get the tool that is the most useful.
Having both is a good combination for most household, mechanics and light building work"
I agree with Grit dog, Except, that all the annoyance may Not be from us Geezers a little short term low level noise doesn't bother me, but a leaf blower running for 30 minutes in a fully wooded CG does.

Haha, I thought the leaf blower thing was tongue in cheek! Lol!
Ya I’d wonder wth that guy was smoking too if he was running his own leaf blower at someone else’s campground!
Takes all types I suppose and I agree that would be annoying but humorous at the same time. Guarantee I’d slam a couple crown n cokes and go over and ask him to landscape my site when he was done. Just to see the reaction!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
I take great care to boondock as isolated as I can unless it's for work. I prefer solitude and have no issues taking 4x4 trails to get it. So while I will never chose to take a spot where I can see or hear others or they me, it doesn't keep others from deciding they need to be uncomfortably close. So if you decide to park on top of someone and they made a noise from time to time I would hope that you would accept responsibility for the decision you made and not blame them.

When I am around others I treat them with the same respect that I would hope that they would treat me.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
JiminDenver wrote:
I use a impact wrench but as usual if you can hear me, you parked too close.

What? Like in the same state?
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Get the loudest, most annoying impact driver you can find and run that sucker full blast at seven in the morning when breaking camp. I believe this is the norm.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will want a drill with at least 18V and a hi/Lo setting. No impact, as that can potentially damage the jacks, as well as being annoying, especially if you leave early in the a.m. Be careful when you put it on low you can potentially break a wrist! Came close to that once!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ya don’t get visiting with the set up supervisor and run the jack to the stop with a driver at git er done speed...

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Battery operated? Just about any of them will do.

I like the Porter drills 18W

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
X2

2manytoyz wrote:
I've used an 18V Dewalt (non-impact) drill for the jacks on our previous travel trailer for years. Worked perfectly.

We recently sold the trailer to our niece. We met them for their maiden voyage, and they didn't bring a drill. I only had my Milwaukee 12V (M12 series) drill with me. It did deploy the jacks, but lacked enough power to lift the corner of the camper to make the jacks really effective.

So... I'd say get an 18V or more non-impact type drill. Keep in mind, these drills have enough torque to damage your wrist if not careful. I use two hands, and keep the palm of the hand not holding the drill, against the bottom of the grip to prevent the drill from moving.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a 24 volt DeWaLT 450 INCH pounds of torque. I had to have one that strong to raise the popup roof. Now I use it for the TT stabs, among other things.

It is a hammer drill, BUT you turn off the hammer when not needed, and it is not needed for the TT, or the pup. It is stronger than a impact wrench, and make no noise at all.

When you pull the trigger on this drill. Something turns, weather it is you or the trailer. Something turns. Best drill I have ever had. It is now 19 years old, and on it's 3rd battery.
Wouldn't be with out it.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Don’t worry about the geezers who are annoyed with 30 seconds of “noise”. Get the tool that is the most useful.
Having both is a good combination for most household, mechanics and light building work"
I agree with Grit dog, Except, that all the annoyance may Not be from us Geezers a little short term low level noise doesn't bother me, but a leaf blower running for 30 minutes in a fully wooded CG does.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Wow, some of y’all are easily triggered!
Regarding the drill, or impact, if you do not already have one then presuming you need one for not just the jacks, but for other purposes too? Unless you don’t tinker or work on stuff or do home improvement, auto repair etc.
If you do much of the above mentioned activities, a cordless impact driver is generally of greater use and flexibility than a drill. Small easy stuff can be drilled with the impact and the impact IMO is more useful for a wider range of activities.
Fwiw, I probably use the impact 5x as much as the drill, but I wrench on my own vehicles, equipment and toys and do my own home repairs and construction.
Don’t worry about the geezers who are annoyed with 30 seconds of “noise”. Get the tool that is the most useful.
Having both is a good combination for most household, mechanics and light building work
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Just use the hand crank that came with the camper. The exercise will be good for you!

TheTichenors
Explorer
Explorer
Great advice everyone! I'll swing by Home Depot later and pick up the Ridgid 18-volt brushless model.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
If you’ve just gotta have an impact drill to use for your jacks, be sure to get one that uses the same battery pack as your cordless leaf blower. The impact drill guys always seem to have both. :B

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
schlep1967 wrote:
No impact. Lubricate your jacks regularly and use either a regular drill or the hand crank that came with the trailer.
There are two sounds that grate on me in the campground. The sound of the car alarm going off for several minutes and the sound of somebody two rows over using their impact drill. If I wanted to hear impact drivers I would camp at a garage or race track.

Besides an impact driver will eat the internal jack gears up. Impacts are made for loosening stuck bolts, nit for raising or lowering jacks.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB