cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice on long-term plan

RVTravel
Explorer
Explorer
- I am very unfamiliar with RVs. Never spent a night in one.
- Never spent a night in a campground.
- Have done some tent camping in my youth.
- I am very active and in good shape for physical activities.
- As owner of Conversion vans, I am familiar with vans (like E-series vans for example.)
- Have driven large box trucks (moving or commercial) a few times.
- I am handy with Mechanical, Electrical, and Electronic repairs / upgrades on vehicles.
- Can do some plumbing and electrical for my home, but I do shine in demolition / wrecking things.

In a few / several years I plan to go into early-retirement, and so far think that 6-months at home, and 6-months traveling US + Canada is what I will like to do.

Regarding staying at home -- I want to either buy another home in cool / mountainous region to spend summers, and travel in the winter, or buy a home in Florida / Arizona for the winter, and travel in the summer.

As born, raised, and long-time resident in NYC, I will want to get away from traffic, congestion and people. I also dislike hot + humid.

So I am leaning stay home somewhere cool and fresh in the Summer, and travel in the winter (Nov-April) out West and South.

Currently live in Manhattan with wife and kids, and it has been excellent training how to live in a "cubicle."

50% chance wife will be with me when I travel -- she don't like RVs. Kids will be out of the house by then.

I think I will like to travel place-to-place, stay 3-4 nights in one place, and bike, hike, run, kayak in the area. So the RV will be like a base camp, and I will want a smaller vehicle to run around. Either MH + toad, or SUV + small-to-medium TT.

When I travel, I think I will stay in a combination of places -- CGs, truck rests, boondocking.

I know I have plenty of time to try out RVs in the next few years, but I would like to start planning now for my future home. Maybe buy this home in a year or two.

This is what I am thinking now, so please tell me when I am wrong, or bring something up that I didn't.
48 REPLIES 48

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not to get personal, but with what you've thrown out here, it really sounds like you need to have a sitdown with your wife and discuss it with her.

You mention moving, but don't indicate your wife's preferences (or even that she has an opinion).
You mention a 50% chance she'll go with you, but that she doesn't like RVs. But you seem set on going for 6 months at a stretch without her. How does she feel about that?
You mention the kids will be "out of the house by then". If your wife does not go with you for the 6 months, is she OK with moving to one of these two "places" and potentially being far away from the kids AND having you gone for 6 months?

There is a lot of "I want" in your post, but it doesn't sound like you've put any thought into what your wife wants. That's a red flag to me suggesting you perhaps aren't happy in your current situation. If that's the case, I would recommend figuring out what you really want (do you really want to travel, or are you using this to push things with your wife to a head?) before you start making plans for your RVing life.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
You live in a cubicle in Manhattan with your wife and children yet can do/are aware of van conversions?
Interesting life history :).

Currently on the UWS, formerly of the South Bronx, downtown Bklyn and Park Slope. Born and raised here as well. Given my past I only go to Queens for airports, visiting elderly relatives and cemeteries; SI is for ferry rides......oops.

After surveying my surroundings and taking into account my ability to make more less I'll be buying an Alto Safari Condo. Parks well here.

I do camp nowadays and have rented an RV to better understand what I can/cannot do without.

I suggest you do the same;).

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
It can get pretty lonely if you are out traveling alone from place to place and changing every 3-4 days.

Is there a firm reason why you and your wife won't be going together; does she just not want to be in a camper? or does she just not want to be with you?

You asked about a MH or a TT. A 5 yr old MH will cost you about 70K, but a 5 yr old TT will cost you less than 10K. It all depends on how much you want to expend to follow your dream. I would also suggest you check out fifth wheels since you get a little more luxury, plus they are more open and provide better full-time living than MOST travel trailers.

You will have to have an extra vehicle, most likely a pickup truck if you choose a TT or 5'er or a smaller vehicle if you choose a motorhome.

To purchase a new residence to stay in, check out AARP's best places to live. They compare cost of living to availability of services, activities, etc.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

blackeyed1
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe start out renting an RV for a week and take it out to campgrounds locally and see how your wife reacts. You need to do alot of research first.