cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awnings

billseal
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone waterproofed their awnings; if so, what did you use?
10 REPLIES 10

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
bikendan wrote:
bukhrn wrote:
billseal wrote:
I'm assuming that this is a rather old RV, as I haven't seen a "canvas" awning in a lot of years, if indeed it is canvas, you may want to consider replacing the fabric,most newer, (maybe all) RV's come with a vinyl awning fabric.

The OP's profile shows a 2005 Holiday Rambler, which would have the modern vinylized canvas.

Maybe the OP thinks you have to waterproof it for maintenance.
True, I just didn't look far enough. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
billseal wrote:
I'm assuming that this is a rather old RV, as I haven't seen a "canvas" awning in a lot of years, if indeed it is canvas, you may want to consider replacing the fabric,most newer, (maybe all) RV's come with a vinyl awning fabric.

The OP's profile shows a 2005 Holiday Rambler, which would have the modern vinylized canvas.

Maybe the OP thinks you have to waterproof it for maintenance.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
billseal wrote:
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
Dont waterproof mine either due to the fact that its vinyl.

When Im ready to put it away, and after cleaning the awning after a trip, I do apply a generous amount of Aerospace 303 protectant to the entire length of the awning after its rolled up, as well as the tires and any other plastic that is exposed. Same goes for vents/ac covers on the roof.
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV awnings are usually a vinyl coated fabric, which is waterproof, or a woven sunshade that allows some air circulation. The latter, usually a premium fabric, cannot be waterproofed but can be replaced with the cheaper impermeable fabric.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
My awning was plastic/vinil, lasted 14 years, replaced with same.

navegator

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Mine also came water proof.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
On a previous boat I had a heavy marine type canvas awning which really took a beating from the sun, the salt, the rain & the hosing off. I got many extra years out of it by using Thompsons Water Seal. Brushed it on. Soaked it. Took quite some time to dry & it did have an odor till it dried but it sure worked.

Current trailer awning is also a marine type canvas but a lighter grade. 7 years & still in real good shape but we don't leave it out for days at a time.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If your awning is the vinyl-plastic type, you don't have to do anything. If it is the old-style canvas type, then any spray on tent sealer will work.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has always been water proof. What material are we walking about here?
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)