Before pulling out...

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I read this tip somewhere and it really works. You need:
A suitable sized Ziploc bag.
A package of spring loaded cloths pins.
A felt tip marker.

Its easy to forget to do something or unhook something before leaving a CG. Especially if you stop to talk. Make a list of everything you need to do before pulling out. Examples: "Unhook and stow the electric cord", "Roll up and store the water hose", "Retract the jacks". Then write a short reminder of each item on a clothes pin. "Jacks", "Power", "Water", "Slinky", etc.
When setting up, fold the sun visor down. Then take the appropriate cloths pin and attach it to the sun visor as you complete each step. Reverse the process before leaving. What you haven't done yet is right in your face as soon as you get behind the wheel.
I've seen posts on here of people driving away with something still connected. That can be very expensive or at least messy.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.
36 REPLIES 36

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the last three posts. It's not that difficult. When you think you're done do it again or have someone else take a lap.

If you can't get through a series of walk arounds without getting everything right, you probably can't keep the clothespins or steering wheel tabs squared away either. Or you'll lose your checklist.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We do not have a checklist either. I do inside and DH does outside. When we think we are ready, we both walk around checking everything and then I stay outside for jacks up and visually verify that they are indeed up before we proceed. If someone were to stop by to say goodbye - no problem, we will chat for a bit and then continue where ever we left off. We don't find it difficult to remember to unhook everything because it's all done at 1 time and they are all right next to each other.

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
Veebyes wrote:
It is not like a countdown & blasting off into space. Really. It is not that complex.

One does the inside stuff. The other does the outside stuff. If somebody tops by to say goodbye/hello, fine. Carry on wherever the routine stopped.

x2.

We both do a walk around before finally pulling out, including a look under, look on top.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is not like a countdown & blasting off into space. Really. It is not that complex.

One does the inside stuff. The other does the outside stuff. If somebody tops by to say goodbye/hello, fine. Carry on wherever the routine stopped.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Micro Soft Excel;

List of actions in order on left

Columns of boxes on right

Clipboard and felt tip pen

Date at top; check in every box before the trailer moves.

I have one for inside the unit (Shower door secure; Counter clear; etc) and one on the back of the sheet for outside (Water hose; Antenna; etc)

Since it is on a spread sheet it is easy to edit to reorder the steps or add an item.

I print 4 or 5 sheets front and back before each trip and hang the clipboard on the coat hooks by the door.

If I had to walk back to the truck to check the steering wheel or sun visor to see what needed to be done, it ain't gonna happen.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
For for "Before pulling out..." I can't help but admit, the inner 13 year old in me is giggling.

:B

When I get to the point I think we are ready to leave. IE everything hooked up and all passengers seat belted, in I do one last walk around. Since I have a normal routing/habit of doing this in my big truck, it's just become a normal routine. Like doing a "tug test" when you couple. Certain checks become habit.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
GF does a complete walk around.........then I do one.
When done we pull wheel chocks and go.

If both of us miss something.......then we deserve it.

We do the same.
You need to look when you walk around, some people don't do the look part.

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
What works for us is that we do not allow anything, or anyone to distract us. If a friendly neighbor comes around everything stops until they leave and then we start over.

As other have said we each have our own job and we kind of check each other. We do it the same every time and we take our time.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
ncrowley wrote:
I use these:

http://www.rvminders.com/

I love them. They come with common reminders and some you can write on yourself. They wrap around the steering wheel so you are definitely reminded before you pull out.

A cheap alternative to these are snap bracelets. It's the exact same concept.

For for "Before pulling out..." I can't help but admit, the inner 13 year old in me is giggling.

I always do a walk around and my wife oversees the hitching up to ensure that all happens. I'd like a checklist, but I'm not certain that I'd use it even if I had it.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
So far we have not used a checklist nor had a failure due to not having one. We have forgotten the steps in the past but that is all. Knock on wood that we will continue to be ok!

sail2liv
Explorer
Explorer
We are human and no matter what system we have it will fail....hopefully with no damage.....Two things for me, do not talk when setting up or taking down...and follow the checklist. Distraction is always the culprit last year in tx had to tell young ranger to standby till I was finished hooking up....he understood....one time a man was a pest when I was setting up and told him to chat with DW until I was done and got cold shoulder from him for two weeks. Most campers understand not to disrupt. But again we are human and any system we design is designed to fail.....good luck on keeping it all to a minimum...

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
We have a check list made up of each thing we must remember to do before leaving a CG. Most of the items on the list were put there after we forgot to do something!!!! LOL It really is helpful. I have it posted on the wall by the door and see it every time we go in or out of the RV! I do the inside, DH the outside, then, as others have said, we both do a walk around inside and out just to make sure. Seems the hardest to remember are those dammed steps!!!
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

rjshiflet
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
One thing we have found is we each have our own jobs...don't try to help the other one out as that leads to mistakes.

Precisely!!
Robert & Estha Shiflet
'17 Cardinal 3456RL - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015 & 2016: 587 ~ Nights Camping 2017: 75 So Far

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
One thing we have found is we each have our own jobs...don't try to help the other one out as that leads to mistakes.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

rjshiflet
Explorer
Explorer
NanciL wrote:
I have never had a problem forgetting any thing since I always do a walk around, and then another walk around and then one last walk around.
My biggest fear is forgetting to hook up the cable between the trailer and the truck, so I always put some sort of item in the middle of the drivers seat, and that is my reminder.

My wife does all the inside stuff and does a great job of it.

I think the name of the game is go slow and methodical

Jack L

My wife handles the inside (and also does a great job) - then I do a walk-thru the inside with her. I do the outside, then she does a walk-around with me before we leave. It's worked for 12 years and the "slow and methodical" is the ONLY way to go.
Robert & Estha Shiflet
'17 Cardinal 3456RL - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015 & 2016: 587 ~ Nights Camping 2017: 75 So Far