Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best place and time of year to get deals on new RV

RVHanna
Explorer
Explorer
Hello!

We are new to RVing and looking to make our first purchase. When is the best time of year to get good deals on RVs? I have heard that the RV shows offer good deals. Can anyone validate this?

Thanks!
16 REPLIES 16

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Always consider 25 - 35 % off new. Up north the fall is a good time to push harder particularly last year models. Dealers don't want them on the books as they will have new models coming in. Also here in the late spring to move those left over. Not too many people buying in the winters here.

If your from the south it is probably always a good selling season. But I would imagine when the new models arrive the old ones would like to be sold before the year is over, late fall or early winter months.

Rancher_Will
Explorer
Explorer
I always pay cash and I always have negotiated the price to about 20 percent below MSRP for each of the five RV's that I have purchased. My experience is that I start at about 25 percent below the the listed MSRP and I am willing to walk away if I don't get my final bid price. Twice I have walked away, telling the dealer that "That is my final cash offer and it is good only for a week before I buy from another dealer." I did walk away and both times got a phone call the next day telling me that my offer is accepted. The other three times the deal was offered and accepted without a walk away.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
When you get a great price at the dealer, depreciation isn't as much of a issue. Our three year old trailers NADA is less than a grand less than what we paid for it.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago I would say the shows are the best place and right after camping season ends is the best time. But to be honest, I've looked...i've bartered....and we got the best deal on our Class C at the dealership in the month May. I think there are different cirumstances that play into it of when you will get the best deal. Shop around...barter....if you feel it's a good deal, then it is. If you are not happy with it, walk away. Because if you go with it, you will be second guessing it every day you use it. You won't like it as much as you would if you were happy about the deal....
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
tsetsaf wrote:
Buy used between Halloween and the end of January.

X2 on late fall and winter. We pay cash and don't buy new as I'd rather not take the depreciation hit. It's a buyers' market at that time of year as folks tend to use their cash for the holidays, and typically aren't ready to purchase a rig that they can't use for several months (in the cold north, that is). And on the sellers' side, they frequently have inventory that they are selling on consignment that they received at the end of the season, and are looking to generate some cash flow during their slow season. In our case, we got ridiculous deals on both our first and current fivers by buying in December.
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new left over 2013 at this years RV show in Feb. and got 51% off MSRP which of course is over inflated.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
JMO but we are just getting into the best buying season which is the worst selling season. How many want a summer toy at the end of summer? How many want to pay for winter storage if they don't plan to keep it next year?

Do the research now. Determine what you want. Get your money ready. Be ready to pounce when 'your' rig shows up online. If it is a common model, don't be rushed. More will come along.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
We bought at this time of year and the lot was really dropping their prices as to not have any hold overs with the new rigs coming. They had just dropped the price on our trailer $500 and I took them down another $500. Then they gave us 6 options for financing including a 5 1/2 year loan with interest so low the payments were the same as other lots 12 year loans. I could have bought two trailers with what I could have paid in the end at the wholesalers and their financing. (not to mention the 2600 mile round trip to get it)
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We go to many RV shows and they do lower their prices but I've have seen better prices online. You may be able to find better prices off season and that can vary depending on when that occurs in your neck of the woods. I am a believer that a great deal can be had anytime of the year once you have a floorplan that you really like. The more research you have under your belt, the more savvy you are when it's time to deal. Have fun shopping and enjoy your new rig!!!

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
if you are new to rving I'd suggest you look at purchasing a used rv...lots out there.
and what kind of rv are you looking for????

if you want a good price on a trailer/5th wheel, the best in the country i found is in michigan. lakeshore rv.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought our Hybrid TT, we bought it at a show. The dealer was selling it at wholesale pricing. The MSRP of the trailer was a little over $21k and got the trailer for $15k. After getting the price at the show, we went home and compared that to RV Wholesalers online and found the show dealer's price to be within $500 of the RV Wholesalers' price. So we bought it at the show. The dealer told us they only sale at Wholesale price at shows.

We went to the Tampa RV show this past January and did not see the same steep discounts. We looked at a lot of RVs and we were not impressed with the discounts. For example, we looked at the current version of our Greyhawk 31FS. Ours is a 2009 and bought it new in 2009 off a dealer's lot. The MSRP was just over $91k, we paid just under $68k. On the 2014 Greyhawk 31FS, MSRP was about $115k and the show price was $102k. Not much of a discount and there wasn't even that much upgrades in 5 years to warrant the $24k increase in price.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I got 33% off MSRP on my custom order TT in peak season. When I visit RV shows, I do not think the listed sales prices are better than any other time of the year. People at RV shows buy on emotion and generally pay a little more than those carefully planning and researching. Visit RV shows to learn about floorplans and what brands offer the quality and features you want. Once you narrow it down to a floorplan or two, you'll find about 10 brands offering a similar one with varied quality, materials, and features. Get quote from the so called wholesale RV dealers in the mid west and compare to your local dealers. Very few people beat the prices at a handful of dealers in the nation. Those wholesale dealers sell more custom orders than dealer lot RVs and people pay the least. Win Win, if you re close.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
You can get 2014's cheaper when the 2015's start shipping. Just like with cars, manufacturers offer dealers rebates to get rid of their old stock. For example, Fleetwood is now shipping 2015s and so they are closing out the 2014s. We got an amazing deal on our 2014 Bounder recently. A few years ago, we got a great deal on a Jayco tt (More than 35% off MSRP on both).
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Buy used between Halloween and the end of January.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"