Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brand new, need advice on buying new vs used

Dynalmadman
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys

Been lurking here for a while sucking up all the info I can. My wife and I are ready to pull the trigger and buy out first 5th wheel. One of local dealers has been in business for 50 years here, family owned and very easy going and friendly. No pressures at all.

So we have narrowed our choices to 2 units. I live in Vegas but I work in the oil fields of west Texas and east NM. I work 4 weeks on and 2 off. My wife and I will be living in the RV for the 4 weeks at a time, then driving back to Vegas on our off time. We own a home in Vegas.

Out 2 choices came down to one 2014 and one 2011.

The new model is the Heartland Elkridge 32TSRE, 'priced to move' at right at 45k.

The used model is the 2011 Forest River Cardinal 3150RL. Priced at 44k, already reduced to 'under 40k' in initial conversations.

My wife likes the idea of new and the accompanying warranty. I like the looks of the cardinal. Lots of upgrades over the Elkridge, seems to be a higher end model. Lots of little bells and whistles she doesn't really notice or care about. Biggest selling point for me is probably the insulation and heated tanks. Just like the idea of good weatherproofing.

With this sparse information, can you guys make any recommendations? The dealer offers 1 year warranty on the new, 30 days gaurantee on the appliances on the used model. I suppose I can get an extended warranty on the used, but not sure they are worthwhile or cost effective.

Thank you for your attention and I look forward to your responses,
Michael
13 REPLIES 13

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
Check the posts on warranty service problems and you will likely decide that a used RV where the prior owner has had to resolve them and lose the time taking it to a dealer or having a trip delayed due to problems.

A given 2012 RV sold new for less than the same model does now in 2014. Discount the 2012 by 25% and you should be able to save at least 30% at a bare minimum. Check NADA.com for the dollar amounts at which similar models and model year trailers have been selling over the last 12 months. It will give you a low and high figure for your area. If the NADA shows the used trailer as having been selling for $35,000 to $40,000 then you have a good bargaining tool to use with the seller.

There is no reason not to request that the seller of a used RV in that price range include at their expense an extended warranty.

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
The warranty means you may have help with problems that arise. With the used trailer the prior owner already took care of the problems for you.
There are third party RV insurance outfits that will gladly take your money and pay for repairs for a set number of years. These are a much better deal than buying a new RV.

With a used trailer you also can examine it for any structural problems that are going to be visible, unlike a new trailer that was carried to the dealer's lot on a flat bed trailer.

This is very much a buyers' market and I would be looking to pay 80% of book value (NADA.com)for a used RV of any type.

Two sets of friends recently sold their 28 and 35 ft 5th wheel trailers and went to class B motorhomes towing a small car behind. They sold them for less than they paid for them and these trailers were used 3 weeks out of the year.

Dynalmadman
Explorer
Explorer
Well, thanks to all that replied. We are going into the dealership to try and close the deal on the Cardinal. My wife decided the upgrades on the used were more desirable than the new model.

Thanks everyone, wish us luck!
Michael

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
While I have only owned one used camper, have friends that buy new RVs every few years it seems.
1 year warranty is not very long and IMO mostly fixes the bugs and defects from the factory. After that is taken care of they are pretty reliable and the warranty is gone anyways.

With the prices being very similar buy the one that best suits you.
Only justification I could see for new over used is that the new one spent 3 less years out cooking in the sun and will not oxidize and deteriorate as quickly.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
And yet on any of the Forest River forums customer service is about the bottom in complaints. My cedar creek has been fantastic and their customer service has been fantastic

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about forest river being second to one for customer service. I know I will never buy another forest river product mainly because of their customer support

Dynalmadman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys.

Yah, I knew very quickly that the Cardinal was the nicer choice. I guess I should have titled the thread 'How to convince that wife that the used one is better than the new one'.

Heh heh

Michael

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
I have bought two used and two new 5th wheels. Not a problem with the two used, both new ones were lemons. It takes a few years to get all the problems fixed. I would go with the Cardinal without a doubt.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

samandtheduck
Explorer
Explorer
We got a used higher end (Carriage) 5th wheel when we retired. It was the right decision for us because it was 2 years old and had all the bugs worked out but was still in great shape. Higher quality will pay off if you are in it for a month at a time.
Brian

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Choose what the wife wants otherwise if anything goes wrong with the Cardinal you'll hear it from her for the rest of your life.

However, if you choose the Elkridge and something goes wrong you'll still hear it from her for the rest of your life...."Why didn't you try harder to convince me to go with the Cardinal ?"...

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
I think you will find the Cardinal the better choice. ......

Agree with the Cardinal which is upper level in the Forest River line up but a very nice upper midlevel in overall market. I'm betting better insulation and many additional features.

The Elkridge is in the upper entry level class.

I went to NADA and did not add any options and got this Result.

End of the day you need to be very comfortable with your choice as you will spend a lot of time in the unit. Randu
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you will find the Cardinal the better choice. And the support you can get from Forest River is second to none.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
"If the wife ain't happy nobody is."

Apart from making her happy, the depreciation on a new unit is considerably greater than a pre-owned one. If value and depreciation are important to you I would look at pre-owned. If new is important go in understanding how much depreciation you will suffer in the first five years. Most RV's are worth about half in five years from their new price.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.