cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brand new

mdd0006
Explorer
Explorer
About to purchase first small travel trailer. 16ft Starcraft. Do I need to purchase sway bars?
12 REPLIES 12

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
double post
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
My opinion is YES. Also, I presume you are actually asking about the weight distributing bars. The sway control is a different animal. I would have a decent weight distributing hitch with a friction sway control.

In a perfect world with a perfectly balanced trailer, a sway control should not be needed. But, we do not live in a perfect world. If you happen to get the wind from a passing truck or at a road pass, the trailer could sway and you could not recover from it.

A W/D hitch and sway control is a cheap insurance policy for safer towing.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Tom_Diane
Explorer
Explorer
mdd0006 wrote:
About to purchase first small travel trailer. 16ft Starcraft. Do I need to purchase sway bars?
I was going with a no and would have replied to the post until I saw the post about wind and passing semis or meeting large vehicles! My first experience years ago was with out a sway bar on, although I had one but didn't know what it was, much less how to use it then. I pulled with an old Chevy van. You will know the first time you hit highway speeds and on flat ground or going down a hill! You will feel the sway!
I didn't even have a brake controller so the only way I could straighten out the swaying was to speed up and every time you do that the sway come back when you let off the gas! I found myself traveling at higher than desired speeds trying to stay ahead of the sway until I got to a hill to hold the trailer back!
Better safe than sorry! What's it going to hurt if you have one and not needing it as a opposed to not having it and getting into a hairy situation? When the neighbor showed me what that sway bar was for, a whole new world of towing opened up for me!

Schlat_11
Explorer
Explorer
New to the RV world as well. Had the RV (Keystone Challenger) delivered and picking the truck up this weekend (2014 Ram 2500). I was going to get an Andersen Hitch but does in matter if I get the aluminum or the steel with an offset. What does the offset do?

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to change your sign in name. You won't be "brand new" very long. Welcome to our forums.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

mdd0006
Explorer
Explorer
Great info. Can u recommend one. I'm going to go on side of caution.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Too little info to give a good answer.
Need tow vehicle's specs, TT's specs
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Receiver on your tow vehicle is rated with two weights. One for using a weight distribution system (many come with built in anti sway systems) and a second for load carying only (which is a smaller number). Your fully loaded tongue weight and your tow vehicles specifications determine if you MUST have a weight distribution hitch. IF it is determined that you need a weight distribution hitch, you would be best served to purchase one that has integrated anti sway. It'll be a lot more fun towing with one than without.
Good luck / Skip
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you NEED to have one...? Maybe, tow it and find out.

Does it hurt anything to have one...? Not at all. If it was mine, I would invest $400 and get an Equalizer WDH. It won't make the ride worse and you can easily remove it and install it on your next RV too.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum!!

Are you talking about Friction sway control or a weight distribution hitch. If your tow vehicle is big enough where you don't need a weight distribution hit, I would put on a friction sway control just to help in the wind and the wake of passing trucks. If you need a Weight Distribution Hitch, I would get one with integrated sway control. Just my 2 cents.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd pull it for a couple of short trips first to see how it handles. You might even have someone else drive your TV pulling the trailer with you following behind so you had see what it's doing.

From some TTs I've seen going down the road, either people can't tell looking in their mirrors that their trailer is swaying badly or they never look in their mirrors. You have to either speed-up or slow down to get further from them in case they cause an accident.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
What are you pulling it with and what is the tongue weight?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)