cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying a Motorhome not a mechanic

jmcmack
Explorer
Explorer
What are good reasonably priced motor home?
17 REPLIES 17

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
One with no water leaks that is about five years old.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
For most motorhomes it's entertain 6, feed 4, sleep 2. and you would need a toad for side trips. Would you be better off with a 4 door pickup or a full size van and pull a bunk bed travel trailer. Have you rented a TT or Motorhome to see which would work best for your family. Ever camped before? Are you sure this is what the family wants to do.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you should first figure out how you are going to use it. I mean going out for a weekend or 3 or 4 days or going on a 4 week road trip. Driving to a place and plopping down or moving about every 3 or 4 days. These are all considerations as to how comfortable the coach for that activity. Sitting for a couple of hours or for days. And the same for sleeping. Making up the beds every night or time you move or having it ready.
That's where I'd start. Then get a floor plan and go from there.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
In the long term one could buy a mechanic for about the same cost as a motor home. It all depends on age of both and the condition they are in.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Strange cryptic posts from the OP...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
New or used? Size? Class? Used is recommended because they depreciate huge. We bought an Itasca, Made by Winnebago, 7 years ago and it is now 17 years old for $24000. It's a 30 ft. Class C. We think the quality is about as good as it gets yet we have spent thousands to repair and upgrade which is just what you do with a MH. If I replace we will stick with used Winnebago.
Jayco-noslide

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you say "not a mecahic," do you mean not a vehicle mechanic, or not at all handy? There's a difference; being handy with typical household repairs and maintenance--things like caulking or adjusting cabinet hinges or minor appliance repairs--is very useful for keeping an RV in shape, even if one is somewhat clueless about the details of transmissions and engines and whatnot. Even better is being willing to tackle something you didn't previously understand based on YouTube videos, forum posts, etc.

Anyhow, for a class C motorhome (and probably a class A as well), the actual chassis bits are perhaps the simplest to keep working; it's basically a slightly overgrown van chassis, and for the most part they're pretty straightforward to work on and pretty reliable, though of course there are various parts that wear out with use and time. Basic work like topping up tires, changing oil, etc. is about the same as on any car, and sometimes easier because there's more room to access many parts and more space underneath the vehicle to worm one's way around.

Keeping the rest of the RV in shape is a more or less constant series of little things, such as resealing/recaulking holes and seams, keeping propane appliances clean, replacing the odd compartment door holdback that snaps off, finding and tightening a loose wire, and any number of other odds and ends.

In terms of economy, a used motorhome often offers the best value as the initial depreciation is significant and presumably on a used motorhome any build problems from the factory have been fixed. When buying used, how thorough the previous owner(s) were with their maintenance and upkeep is quite important to consider, possibly more so than age or mileage or brand. Of course, finding a layout that works for your family and systems that meet your needs (things like tank sizes) is also very important.

I would suggest giving some thought to how whatever unit you're looking at would work as your children grow. Many RV bunks, for example, are pretty short, and might be fine for an eight year old but in four years when they're a lanky twelve year old and a foot or two taller would be quite inadequate.

Almost certainly the most cost-effective RV for six people, though not the most convenient or luxurious, would be a pop-up camper.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome to the Forum,hopefully you will get some good input on your quest for that RV,

Mine would be that the one you are looking at may be very well suited for your family.

As a plus it is built on a Chevy Chassis that will give you more comfort all around.

Good luck in your search.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tight budgets and motor homes aren't a good pairing. Unless these are your children and grand children stay out of it.
Puma 30RKSS

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
what ever you do, STOP,THINK, what your doing before you buy, don,t let a sales person talk you into dept. you can,t afford. thers some great used rv,s out there just keep looking.

jmcmack
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I have had 7 motorhomes over the years and only 1 was new. If you decide you want a different one (larger)you will take a big financial beating. There are many 1-2 year old units out there that somebody is selling because it was the wrong size or something else. Many of these are overpriced because people financed them and can't afford to sell them because they owe more than they are worth. I
started in 1969 with a TT and have campers, and 7 motorhomes from a 21' class C to 38' Mountain Aire.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

jmcmack
Explorer
Explorer
young family of 6 on tight budget. They are currently looking at a NEW Jayco 27N class C. Chevy. I like the class C because of the built in Sun Visor.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look for one your wife wants. This will save you tens of thousands of dollars in alimony payments.