cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping in Black Hills SD

Rvtraveler2015
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have a suggestion for a really nice campground with full hook up and a wonderful view?
26 REPLIES 26

lantanatx
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Big Pine in July and would go back. Lots of space between sites, clean, quiet and really nice owners.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seventh Calvary just west of the park entrance on 16 toward town of Custer. Nice people, great little restaurant with fantastic breakfasts. Views are great and French Creek is within a stones throw (but you have to throw really hard ๐Ÿ˜‰ )
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed at the Rushmore KOA. Slightly closer to Mt. Rushmore than Rafter J. Lots of amenities. My spot had a paved patio and picnic table, but there were tent sites as well. Also, a restaurant on site and a row of shops that teens seemed to like. Free bus ride to Mt. Rushmore.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
DeanRIowa wrote:
I have heard good things about Big Pine Campground in Custer, SD and we will be there in 2 weeks.

Dean

After stay comments:

We had a great stay at Big Pine. Super clean bathrooms, good site spacing, really nice owners, and a fair price.
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard good things about Big Pine Campground in Custer, SD and we will be there in 2 weeks.

Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie

dougford
Explorer
Explorer
Mystic Hills Hideaway. I didn't camp there, but spent June 7 1- 13 there in a cabin. They have full hookups, and the folks running the place are great. About 10 miles south of Deadwood.
2008 Ford F350 CC 4X4
2012 Jacyo Octane T29A
2006 Yamaha Blaster
2007 Honda Recon
2006 TTR50
2012 YZ250F
2013 WR250R
2013 XT250

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We also like the KOA.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Hidden Valley RV outside of Deadwood at the end of May. It was a very nice campground. We had one of the sites next to the creek with a deck outside our door. Very clean facilities and the hosts were great.

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed at the Mount Rushmore KOA right in the middle of the Black Hills when we were there in 2013. I picked it because it had so many things for my daughter to do who was 4 at the time. It was alright but it was also large and crowded and none too cheap. I've heard many good things about Rafter J as well.
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
X7 on Rafter J - great place. Get a spot on the 'Island' ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
marquette wrote:
I'd second Custer's Gulch for privacy and quiet. View is Ok but not spectacular. Nice owner. Custer State park has campgrounds with great views and wildlife passing through camp but I'm not sure about full hook ups. I've only tented in the park.
I would have been highly recommended Custer State Park, however, there are no full hook-up sites in any of the campgrounds. We return to Custer S.P. every Fall for two weeks. Started tenting there years ago, then with a pop-up and then after retirement with a 24' TT. This year it is going to be busier than ever with their 50th anniversary celebration coming up.

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
x6 on Rafter J Bar.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just a FYI, concerning the Black Hills.

It is really wet there right now, causing many problems for campground owners. Many areas have standing water, where you can normally park your RV. I was just there, and had to skip two of my favorite CGs, due to soft grounds. I did find a small CG, in the area I wanted, with full hookups, and level concrete pads to park on.

It stormed most evenings, night time, so did not hinder my activities. It rained about 5 inches while there, and has continued since. Many areas had large hail.

The Black Hills area is beautiful, enjoy your trip, but ask about soft ground, when making reservations.

Jerry

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
Lots of CGs in the Black Hills because its very popular. Just be aware that the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally (75th Anniversary) will take place August 3 - 9. If you're going around that time, you may want to call first to make sure that your choice has empty spots available.

Not only during those dates but at least a week before and a week after as well if you want some piece and quiet. I myself rode for 30 yrs but when I'm camping the last thing I want to hear are open pipes on a Harley so the further away your campsite is from the main highway that passes by Rafter J the happier you'll be.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380