cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

clue me in

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, I posted a similar question before but have found out a little bit more now so I'm curious about the warnings I got. We are leaving from the east coast in Spring ultimately headed to Montana to hopefully find out retirement home. We do not own a home presently. It was suggested to us since we are leaving within a few months to open an LLC and register the truck and trailer there. Just let me reiterate something I read somewhere. Tax evasion is illegal,tax avoidance is not! Why on earth would I buy a vehicle now and register it in a state I am pulling out of in a few months and never coming back to? I am NOT a homeowner here either. We are headed to Montana so I dont see why it is so wrong to legally tag my truck and trailer in the state I'm hoping to purchase a house in and live. I totally understand if I had this rig parked in my driveway for months in another state and was living there and a homeowner that that state would require me to tag the vehicles there. I get that. But if I'm going cross country to find a place to live where the vehicles are already going to be registered, how can that be wrong? How can a cop stop me or a state go after me doing this? Please fill me in, I just dont get it.
37 REPLIES 37

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
PS: If you have a driver's license it lists a residence. If you don't have a driver's license you can get arrested for that.

This is not correct. A Driver's License lists a domicile address. That is a BIG difference from a residence address.

Think: Full Timing

It sounds like the OP does not own property in CT. The OP could set up his domicile in Montana (not using a LLC) right now, then he could legally register his vehicles in Montana. After he finds the house he wants, just make a change to the new address.

It's no different really, then for anyone who wants to go 'fulltime'. He just wants to fulltime for a short period of time. Nothing illegal about that.

Tim

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:

Why not just register there in advance of the move? At the residence you are moving to.. Work it out with the current occupants there as to mail and such.

Well, the OP claims to have left the thread, but he also mentioned early on that he has not picked out a house in MT yet.
You don't have to Own a house to be a resident, he can rent.

Do you expect him to rent a place he can't check out before he gets there? There are other options of course, that would give him an address to use until he gets settled in.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
I am confused about one thing. Back in December you said you already had your TT registered in an LLC. is this another LLC? One local and now you want to switch it to a MT LLC? That might be easier (provided there is no lein/loan against it). Pay the transfer fees etc.
2013 ACE 29.2

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest to follow the law. Most people don't know the law. Some misinterpret the law.

Just follow the law and you will be fine. If you don't know the law find a good lawyer that knows the laws of your state. Search around for a good one because some of those don't even know the law.

BTW it's perfectly legal to own and set up an LLC in Montana.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OP just seems to be trying to get others to justify something that he knows in his little black heart that he should not be doing.

PS: If you have a driver's license it lists a residence. If you don't have a driver's license you can get arrested for that.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dutch_12078 wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
Let me see if I understand....

YOu live in CT now, you are going to get the motor home and almost immed move to MT...

Why not just register at the new address? Then you can finish up the transfer of citizenship when you get there?

Why spend the money to set up an LLC?

NOTE: the LLC tax dodge can come back to bite you .. But if you are moving there, WITHIN THE NEXT SIX MONTHS (you said a few),

Why not just register there in advance of the move? At the residence you are moving to.. Work it out with the current occupants there as to mail and such.

Well, the OP claims to have left the thread, but he also mentioned early on that he has not picked out a house in MT yet.
You don't have to Own a house to be a resident, he can rent.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

YOu live in CT now, you are going to get the motor home and almost immed move to MT...

Why not just register at the new address? Then you can finish up the transfer of citizenship when you get there?

NOTE: the LLC tax dodge can come back to bite you .. But if you are moving there, WITHIN THE NEXT SIX MONTHS (you said a few),

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently, dogs didn't get the answer he wanted. Imagine that.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
It's all in the delivery Effy. I didnt expect such "holier than thou" attitudes. I'm pretty much done with this thread. It's the attitudes I resent. No need for anymore replies, I wont be reading anymore from this thread. I have to say I joined an rv group I found online and they are much much less judgemental than some on here. No chips on any shoulders when i talk to them and no one pounding there chests. Thank you to those of you who didnt judge without knowing all the facts.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
So let me see if I got this right. You're buying a house in Montana, and you have or are getting an LLC that has a legitimate purpose, and your LLC's legitimate purpose requires a Truck and RV (even though you will have a house). Did I get that right? Then you're all set; otherwise not so much.

You forgot - the LLC will be in MT, although OP doesn't live in MT and not sure when they will be. Further they live in another state but don't want to pay the taxes in that state because they will be moving to MT. Just not exactly sure when.

To the OP - I think someone hit the nail on the head earlier. You don't really want to hear what people have to say on the subject, you want to hear them agree with you. Unfortunately, many don't.

But back to the facts - Yes you can get a MT LLC. Anyone can. But there are a few things problematic. For starters you don't live in MT. You live in another state. The state you currently live in expects taxes to be paid there. If you register your vehicles/RV in MT, then expect that your current state may have a law that states whether you can park your RV/Truck in your current state with another state's tags for a certain length of time. But it can be done legally, just know the laws in your state.
2013 ACE 29.2

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
The tricky thing about laws are oftentimes the dates. That appears to be your concern. Time, place and date are important in complying with the law.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
So let me see if I got this right. You're buying a house in Montana, and you have or are getting an LLC that has a legitimate purpose, and your LLC's legitimate purpose requires a Truck and RV (even though you will have a house). Did I get that right? Then you're all set; otherwise not so much.

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to the few who were fairly civil and constructive. I PAY LOTS OF TAXES to those who imply I dont. Do I go out looking for a way to pay more and not try to avoid it, HEC YES, and if your loaded enough not to, more power to you. My LLC is a company and does have a purpose, but of course no one thought that. I truely didnt understand all the hoopla of doing something legally and being told "they'll come after you". So I was just trying to find out more. I certainly didnt need the hostility I found from some of you and as senior RV'ers would have thought to excercise some understanding. NOT! So thank to those who didt sit in judgement and voiced there opinion. I also am a supporter of avoiding taxes whenever possible as long as its legal.