cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DIESEL FUEL

Rocky71
Explorer
Explorer
We fuel up at flying J pilot and get money off a gallon.
That is great. But there isn't that many Flying J and Pilot around?
I am happy but were can we go if there isn't any?
TA truck stops are all over maybe they will give RV the same thing????
JUST ASKING......
29 REPLIES 29

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
PAAK wrote:
When traveling, I fill up my secondary fuel that is carried in the bed, it holds 100 gallons. I have founf this is cheaper when going through Canada and BC.

Anything is cheaper than fueling in Canada, eh

PAAK
Explorer
Explorer
When traveling, I fill up my secondary fuel that is carried in the bed, it holds 100 gallons. I have founf this is cheaper when going through Canada and BC.
2011 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel
2011 Creek Side 23RKS

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Rocky71 wrote:
TA truck stops are all over maybe they will give RV the same thing????

No. I asked them.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Johnny_H wrote:
If you have to worry about $0.03/gal then you probably can't afford to be on the road in the first place. With my rig being almost 65' long I want a place with plenty of room to get around. I would hate to save $1.80 on fuel and damage my trailer trying to get in or out of the place.

Most flying J's I have seen are the easiest in and out with their specific rv lanes. With our TT and truck, we were at close to 60' ourselves and found it the best place to get in and out. But we were not diesel either, we were gas and still are with our motorhome.

With that said, we like the flying J's. And they are plentiful (except where we live). Drove about 1200 miles round trip last week. From above Charlotte, NC down I-77 to I-26 to I-95 to I-10 to destin, Florida. On way back came back up to I-65 to I-85 to home. We get about 8mpg. We get a little over 400 miles to the tank. We never had trouble finding a flying j every 200 miles. Many times even a lot closer. The prices appeared no more expensive than the other truck stops. Used our rv plus card without issue. We get 7 cents off a gallon. Spent close to $600 in gas and save about $10. Not so much about the savings, but to have a continuously clean, easy, standard place to pull into. Also nice to have rv specific spaces to pull into without sitting amongst the rigs in the back.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Johnny_H
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Raymon wrote:
After we got back one lady asked me how much a I spent on fuel. I told her I did not know; the money was already gone, so why worry?
I'm with you there.

After showing an acquaintance my truck, his question (isn't it always?) was 'what kind of mileage you get?' My answer of 7.5 almost floored him.

There's really nothing you can say.. except "Yeah, it's nice to be able to afford that truck - AND the fuel to run it." But I never do.

I have one of those friends as well, does not matter what it is, if it has an engine he wants to know the mileage it gets and will then proceed, without prompting I might add, to explain to me how he managed to get an addition 1/2 mpg out of his daily driver. I am glad to do my part in keeping oilfield workers working.
Johnny & Cindy
Missie - Yellow Lab
Bubba - Rescued pup
Bopper -Rescued pup

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Raymon wrote:
After we got back one lady asked me how much a I spent on fuel. I told her I did not know; the money was already gone, so why worry?
I'm with you there.

After showing an acquaintance my truck, his question (isn't it always?) was 'what kind of mileage you get?' My answer of 7.5 almost floored him.

There's really nothing you can say.. except "Yeah, it's nice to be able to afford that truck - AND the fuel to run it." But I never do.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Johnny_H
Explorer
Explorer
If you have to worry about $0.03/gal then you probably can't afford to be on the road in the first place. With my rig being almost 65' long I want a place with plenty of room to get around. I would hate to save $1.80 on fuel and damage my trailer trying to get in or out of the place.
Johnny & Cindy
Missie - Yellow Lab
Bubba - Rescued pup
Bopper -Rescued pup

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gas Buddy is worse than useless around here. The prices are obviously listed by the retailer and invariably are the "Club price, Price with Carwash" or some other price that is generally not available to the stranger just pulling in!

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP hasn't been back for a week.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Between FJ, Pilot, and Pacific Pride, I don't worry about it.

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
The cetane rating is actually the opposite of the octane rating. Cetane measures how fast a fuel will burn and start to produce pressure in the cylinder. Octane measures the degree of pre-combustion of a fuel. A higher octane fuel does not have more btu of energy per unit but it allows for a higher compression ratio and for less spark timing delay and this produces more power. Want high cetane rated diesel you need to go to Europe.

The day I start to see people driving at the speed limit on the highway is the day I know that the price of gas and diesel is high enough to discourage wasteful behavior. Until that day all whining about fuel prices shows a disconnect with reality.

My diesel truck averages 13 MPG but my daily driver averages 45 MPG and burns regular gasoline that is on average 80 cents cheaper per gallon than diesel. When I am traveling I am happy if a station pumps diesel - at any price.

DRTDEVL
Explorer
Explorer
3-4 cents per mile? Not worth it.

But if I fill up to the top before I pull out of town and come back on 1/4 tank, I know I pretty much go the most bang for my buck fuel-wise. I fill up on-base with the Military Star Card. Today, diesel is $3.629, or $3.579 with the Star Card. The local truck stops are $3.789. When I am purchasing 85 gallons to start the trip, saving 21 cents per gallon adds up to nearly $18 saved on that tank.

There's also something to be said for common sense. If I were taking a trip from Kalispell, MT to Banff and back, I would fill up in Whitefish, MT before crossing the border. Its currently $4.059, yet its north of $5.00 up there, a savings of about $1.20/gallon (about $120 less per tank).
Resurrecting an inherited 1980 Minnie Winnie 20RG from the dead after sitting since 1998..

Mike_Tassinari
Explorer
Explorer
Afternoon Everyone.

Flying J has the crappiest diesel fuel, at least on the east coast. They are running a Bio Diesel blend and that equates to less MPG. My 2002 Ford F350 diesel with the 7.3 motor dropped down to under 10mpg using Flying******fuel.
My normal mpg carrying a 4500 pound Lance Truck Camper is 13 to 14 at 60 miles MPH.

Buying diesel - it is all about the cetane value posted at the pumps. Higher the cetane, better MPG. Cetane is to diesel fuel as is octane is to gassers.

I use "gas buddy" to find the best prices and I am not talking about a few cents here. With my 60 gallon mid-ship tank, I can pick and choose where I need to fill up. I usually average 10 cents per gallon LESS - more often more, and coupled with my 4% discount fuel card that is a considerable savings.

The best cetane places to fill up are B/P and Sunoco. They are 40 cetane.

Mikeeeeeeee
P/S - do you know that any diesel vehicle brought from over seas would probably only run a week or two because over there it is mandated that diesel fuel be a minimum of 50 cetane
2002 Ford-4x4-Extended Cab-Dually-Lariet-Powerstroke Diesel--4.10 gears--Ranchero Adjustable Shocks-55 Gallon Extended Fuel Tank--4 Extra Main Leaf Springs-1 Extra Helper Spring..Independant Second Altinator(100AMP)to Charge MY Twin 275 AH. Deep Cycle Battery Bank tucked under the truck bed....

2001 Lance-11&1/2 Ft.-Model 1121/slide/out with all the Toys&2000 Watt Inverter

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hear that the pilot flying j discount cards will end at the end of the year. I too pull in at half a tank. If you have a motorhome the tank will get hot and more fuel helps cool it. Trucks have air going by the saddle tanks but ours are inside. I have a fuel cooler on my motorhome but it is still warm to the touch. So extra fuel is good and it us a nice break.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts