cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

drinking water

parentals
Explorer
Explorer
What do most of you do for drinking water in your RV's? We don't like the idea of drinking the water that has been sitting around in our fresh water tank, so we've kept containers of drinking water in the sinks while we travel and on the counter when we're parked. That's getting to be a nuisance, though. We've seen lots of filters for the water coming in, but then it would still sit in the tank.
84 REPLIES 84

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
I don't hook up shore water unless I am going to stay AT LEAST 3 nights.

I hate the sound of the water pump and if I don't have to use it, then I won't...lol
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't hook up shore water unless I am going to stay AT LEAST 3 nights.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

et2
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know why people drink from their tanks if hooked to a water supply. I can't stand the taste of well water or city water. We have a reverse osmosis system at home - zero taste. While traveling we also bring a couple gallons of distilled and bottled water from Costco. Just my preference and the cost doesn't enter our mind. We don't drink alcohol so I guess we are ahead on the beverage costs.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
WoodGlue wrote:
wbwood wrote:
I know many people carry around a small bottle of bleach water and spray the water connections at RV Parks. But most people do not. I've never ever seen anyone do it while they are setting up (and neither do I). Not once. No telling what hose was connected to the spigot or where that hose was. Perhaps down a sewer hose rinsing it out? It doesn't take much.

I always do. A quick spritz of the handle and spigot work well!

WoodGlue

...and if you use a high quality water filter at the inlet it will destroy any of your concerns.

Check out this site - lots of good information. Filters are use-specific. A cheap WalMart filter won't do it:

RV WATER FILTER STORE
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
I know many people carry around a small bottle of bleach water and spray the water connections at RV Parks. But most people do not. I've never ever seen anyone do it while they are setting up (and neither do I). Not once. No telling what hose was connected to the spigot or where that hose was. Perhaps down a sewer hose rinsing it out? It doesn't take much.

I always do. A quick spritz of the handle and spigot work well!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Talking about water, anyone drink the water from Camp Lejeune??? If you have, you better read the following: Veterans and family members who served on active duty or resided at Camp Lejeune for 30 days or more...
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:

my goodness, the FW tank is designed to keep water clean and fresh. FW tanks have been safely used in the RV industry for decades.

I have no problems with the tank it goes in. It is the unknown source that I have a problem with. And sometimes the known source. And it is hard to know when traveling. Just how often have you asked at the campground office for their water test certification, or stopped in at the town hall for a copy of it?

bikendan wrote:
by the way, there are numerous scientific taste test studies that have been done that show that most testees choose city water over bottled water.:S
It isn't the taste that is a problem. Problem is where did it come from. And I admit that there are certain bottled waters I will not drink because it comes from a municipal water system. One has to be informed!!!

bikendan wrote:

in fact, we pay more for bottled water than we do for gasoline.

Just where do you buy your gasoline??? I get gallons of spring water at my local Walmart for 99 cents a gallon. And that isn't tap water. I know the spring source and have seen the testing certification. More pure that what I get out of my tap, supplied by a municipal water supply!!! Never have seen water for any more that $1.50 a gallon in any Walmart. Would love to buy gasoline at that price. Can't even get it on the indian reservation for that price.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
Others have said it. There is the I drink from it all the time, and the never drink from their tanks. Depending on my trip/use I bring 1-2 5 gallon water cooler jugs of water for drinking and the dogs. There is usually a case of bottled water for quick convience of grab and go, and that case lasts several trips.

I do this for one reason only, my dogs. When I first started RVing, I drank the local water or from my tank all the time. I figured as long as I ran the water after hooking up and kept my tank/lines clean I would be fine. But then it seemed like every trip my two dogs where getting sick, I replaced filters, my hoses, sanitized everything. And the next trip, same thing for the first 3 of 5 days. Moved to our next location, started all over again. Since moving to the water cooler jugs, I no longer have that issue with the dogs and I have noticed less issues myself in the change in water. Otherwise, I use the local water or my tank for everything else.

I am sure if I where full timing and spending long runs in each location, it would be less of an issue. But right now its random weekends and a 2 week trip every winter and that seems to make a difference.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted; blame it on "over 70 CRS", forgot that I already said that!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
On a similar note, we stayed in a cabin in the Gatlinburg area this past weekend. The cabin was on well water, but the water stunk. One reason why we do not trust any water wherever we go, for drinking. We have well water as well, but it doesn't smell like it did there. Even previous stayers mentioned the stinky water in the log at the cabin.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
K3

I thought there was some kind of forum rule against logic.

FE said so.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

escottd
Explorer
Explorer
Frequently allowing your potable water tank to empty completely, and occasionally sanitizing it will keep bacteria levels down. Filling your tank with city water actually helps sanitize it due to the treatment that the cities are required to give potable water. That being said, I personally do not use hook-up or tank water for drinking. We always carry an ample supply of filtered water from our house in empty gallon orange juice containers. IMHO you can't make a good pot of coffee with tank or hook up water.

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
crabbin cabin wrote:
Wow - in 20 years of using our several different fivers and more lately a MH we almost always have used the cg water as it comes from the faucet - assuming we have a water hookup. If not we drink/use the water as it comes from our storage tank! Nope - never been sick while Rving!! Some folks are paranoid and I guess some are lucky??

Yeah. Us, too.

X3, including many years of tent camping when younger.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500