cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driver's License Q

Ricebug
Explorer
Explorer
I plan on doing the Escapees mail thing when we go full-time. I understand that Texas, e.g., allows you to claim residency in that state without ever living there.

How does that affect an out-of-state DL? My wife wants to maintain a Washington State DL. So, can I be a (stealth) resident in Texas and hold a Washington DL?

Never mind. Found my answer.
Terry DeLaney
USAF, Retired
8 REPLIES 8

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
Ricebug wrote:
So, can I be a (stealth) resident in Texas and hold a Washington DL?

Of course not. Everyone knows a real Texan wouldn't be carrying a Washington DL. 🙂
’19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We changed everything when we established our new residency. Vehicle registrations, license plates, drivers licenses, insurance - everything matches our new address including banking, credit cards, income tax returns, everything.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
Only the Active duty Military folks oculd get a break back in the day...

Roy Ken

Somewhere around here is an old DL of mine issued by PA, with a KY address and the words PHOTO NOT REQUIRED where the photo should be.

Legally I did not have to renew it, it was valid as long as I had a valid military ID, but I renewed it, ended up with a DL that confused LEO's when I got pulled over....didn't happen that often, but I was young and had a 360 under the hood of that old Chrysler :B

Sorry OP, I know my little story has nothing to do with your post. RoyB just brought back 30 yr old memories.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Let Escapees guide you, they're good at that. Generally no, you can't pick and choose which state to do what.

^^ X2. Escapees has a wealth of information on legal domicile. We pulled the rig to Livingston, got the vehicles inspected on the way in and, the next day had vehicles registered and new drivers' licenses. If you don't do vehicles and drivers' licenses (and probably register to vote), you're not legally domiciled in the state. In addition to the aforementioned issues with law enforcement, your insurance company may cancel or not issue you a new policy.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
What RoyB said. A roadside conversation with the fine patrol person will take much longer and cost more that otherwise would.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your tags and Drivers licenses should be from same state. Otherwise Law Enforcement gets really bent out of shape... That is the way it used to be at any rate... Only the Active duty Military folks oculd get a break back in the day...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let Escapees guide you, they're good at that. Generally no, you can't pick and choose which state to do what.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

EV2
Explorer
Explorer
Not going to work that way, it will cause you problems.