cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expectations of a Newbie

MikeV99
Explorer
Explorer
My wife & I are in our 70s; we travel with a dog; I am retired military; it has been 40+- years since our popup days; trips in the past have usually been long stays in condos to unwind; our current thinking would be trips to the beach, mountains, just little get away road trips.

We are thinking about a 25' Class C without a toad.

I know I have a large learning curve, but would appreciate input as to my expectations and whether my thinking is just a pipe dream.

We are in pretty good shape; however, I have read the horror stories about big trucks blowing RVs off the road, limited sites with hookups, reservations needed months in advance, and so on. We'd like to have fun not have nightmares.

How difficult is it to find over night parks?

Let's say we want to stay at a beach RV park for 3 or 4 nights. Would it be unreasonable to unhook everything to go to a restaurant or maybe go sightseeing and then hook back up upon return?

How long can one expect to last without a hookup in this type MH?

Please share your experiences with us.

Thank you.
18 REPLIES 18

PaisleyDale
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 25 foot Class C and we have never needed or even wanted a tow. We can drive it anywhere, park it anywhere and most times it can be backed in over a grassy area which only takes one parking space.

At a RV park we only hookup electric and water. It takes 5 minutes to unhook and go somewhere. We have went 5 days traveling without filling up water or dumping tanks. We do take Navy showers and use paper plates.

We are more travelers than campers. We use our MH more like a large car. We take it to medical appointments, since we live 130 miles from anything.

For us a good thing is the permanent bed and we don't have to crawl over one other either.

We have had everything, Truck Camper, Travel Trailer, 5th Wheel and even a Class B and this is the best for us.
2014 Winnebago View Profile 24v
2021 VW Atlas Cross Sport 2.0 4motion
1998 Honda CR-V toad

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We could never RV without a vehicle for siteseeing. Renting is out for the places we like to explore.

If you plan to go to a tourist area and basically stay in the RV park for most of your stay then, yes, you can do it without a vehicle and probably rent.

If you want to explore an area thoroughly, especially mountain areas and backroads, a vehicle is the way to go.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Class A but were looking into purchasing a 26 foot class C. We feel that a toad is a necessity. When we go somewhere, we like to stay and see the sights. We have been on many roads where a 26 foot Class C would not be able to go. We would not want to restrict our exploring when we get somewhere by not having a toad. We love seeing new places which is why we RV, and is also why we want the toad. As you can see, each person has different needs.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We also currently have a B and am looking for a B+/C like the Phoenix Cruiser 2100. Age and ailments are a large part of the choice. The slide makes all the difference and the size is much larger than our B. No toad for us as we move about and tour to much. And that's another reason for the shorter length. But that's us.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
From a year into retirement 2005, until she died early 2012, my wife and I used a 30-foot C as you describe.

Getting around, parking, there is not much difference 22 to 32 feet in length, because the greater problem parking is the width, 8 to 8 1/2 feet vs maximum standard vehicle width of 80 inches. Beyond 19-20 feet you are already spilling into a second space with respect to length, or sticking out into an aisle. One thing that sometimes works with a C, because of long rear overhangs, is backing into a space at the edge of a parking lot, to put the overhang off the edge.

Getting around, and parking, also depends on how crowded a place is. Small towns, rural areas, even some suburbs are not too bad. Getting into the center of large cities is a different issue, there are places like Houston and Chicago where even my standard length van is a problem because parking spaces are tighter, other drivers more aggressive about taking position in traffic, tightly filled traffic lanes make wide swings more difficult, open parking lots tend to be full and have narrow aisles, and much of the parking is in ramps with low clearance.

But most of our RV travel was in places where a 30 foot RV fit fine, we did our shopping and sightseeing enroute, seldom had to leave a campsite once hooked up. Most of the time if I plan to leave for a while I can hook up only power (needed for air conditioning 6-8 months here in the middle of the country) so the only problem left getting in and out was putting interior stuff away (including grandchildren) so slideouts could be pulled in and the C safely moved. I didn't want slides, wife wanted the space, so we dealt with the extra trouble. If I buy another motorhome, it will not have slides, I prefer greater mobility over a little extra interior space.

I have 42 gallon fresh water capacity, 25 gallon black waste, 31 gallon gray waste, 18 gallons (~ 60 pounds) LPG, two Group 24 house batteries. Wife and I could go 3-4 days between having to dump waste tanks or refill fresh water. With wife, daughter, two granddaughters aboard, they could fill the black tank in less than two days (thus the experience with quick trips out of the campsite) and could probably do the same to the gray if they didn't go to the bathhouse to wash their hair.

Furnace could go through 30-40 pounds LPG in a week in winters with 40 F days and 20 F nights, otherwise a 20-30 pound fill might last a year or two heating water, cooking, and running the refrigerator when not hooked up. Furnace needed power, though, and could drain the two batteries overnight if we didn't have an electrical hookup.

Where and when we traveled, I didn't worry much about finding parks with hookups for overnights. When we had to be in a specific place, at a specific time, for a specific length of time, we did make reservations, unless the place did not allow reservations (e.g. our state parks). But we also avoided the difficult times and places: holiday weekends, weekends on recreational lakes, parks a short drive from major urban areas, family theme park or amusement park destinations, the sea shore, California, Florida, and the whole East Coast. My middle of the U.S. experience may not apply to the densely populated areas where 80% of our population is concentrated in 20% of the space.

If we didn't have a power hookup, we could run microwave and air conditioning from the generator. Coming into a campground with a full fuel tank, we could do that for 40-60 hours if we had to, but generally did not. Power hookups are relatively easy to find, power and water only a little less, mostly in dry parts of the country where a remote campground has no wells or city water service at all. Also, I will not run the generator while sleeping, so dry camping for us meant places or seasons where outside temperatures were comfortable.

Since my wife died, I use the RV differently, don't care much to road trip in it alone, it is too big for me. Since I still own it, I've taken it on a few RV club outings where I have friends around who take care of my transportation when we go do things together. A dozen or so times I've driven it out to local lakes for a week or so, to overnight in that environment. For this I've towed, first my small pickup, then I outfitted a Honda Fit for towing. This lets me take care of business in town, go out to the lake at night, where the motorhome is functioning as my cabin at the lake. For that, a small trailer would work just as well, maybe better. But for what you want to do, a motorhome works.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
I travel with a 24' class C without a toad, occasionally with a motorcycle. I usually do my restaurants and sightseeing between campsites, not from a campsite. But certainly that is possible. Especially if you just hook up the power and get a site which is level enough and don't need to deal with that on every excursion.

Your idea sounds fine. What I'd do is look into two options: One is to find a campground within walking or biking distance to the attractions you are interested in. Second is to investigate Uber or one of the ride services available these days. Paying for a ride to these spots, in the overall scheme of things, is not a big cost. You could even consider a rental car if you're staying somewhere a while.

MikeV99
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all - very helpful information

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Having traveled many years in a large truck camper with exactly the same issues you are concerned with - yes with planning you can do it.
As others have said, don't hook up unless you need to. We also found that we tended to do groceries, sight seeing etc. before going to the campground. Also remember that if you are going out for some reason, why not just pull through the dumping station on your way out and forget the worries of having full tanks. We never use public showers - that is why we have an rv with a nice bathroom.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We have been doing exactly what you propose and see numerous others in that age group doing the same all over the US and CA. No toad, but we rent a car for unusual circumstances, rarely.

Ignore the horror stories.

We previously had a wonderful Class B, loved it, but needed more space with acquisition of a big dog.

Just look at lots of layouts and makers and imagine yourself living in it. We have an Itasca Navion, and find the rear slide out queen bed to be comfortable, the living area spacious enough, reasonable storage for two, and more refrigerator/freezer space than we use. We can easily go five days without a dump station.

You can investigate solar options. We usually find electrical hookups but some people like to spend a lot of time off the grid out in the boonies.

Don't worry about finding campsites. Just book ahead if it is peak season, prime destination, weekend, holiday. Even then, there are many more places than you might imagine where you can stay, and sometimes you'll discover your own gems.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are in the same situation. Wanted an RV for the same reasons/purpose. We started with a small Class C with a pullout couch/bed which was comfortable but being older, one of us would always find we had to get up in the middle of the night. If you were sleeping in the front, you had to crawl over the one in the back. Corner bed models have the same issue. If we were younger I don't think we'd mind. Moved up to a larger class C. Then a used class A. Now our New Winnebago class A. Worried at first driving something big but you get good at it quick. Seen a lot of newbies get in trouble taking uphill ramps going into parking lots. I make it a point to pass by any place that's not a fairly level entrance. We don't have a toad. Makes getting the rig around much easier. Most places we camp are right where we want to be. If we are going to be in a spot for a while, we rent a car. Enterprise will pick you up. Big destinations like Zion and Glacier almost always have shuttles. We try to do shopping enroute to a destination so the rig can stay parked once we get there. Just my opinion.... Others may feel a toad is a necessity.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
At one time we had a 21' Class C with a 20 gallon grey tank, a 15 gallon black tank, and a 25 gallon fresh tank. We could go about three days between dumping, longer if we used the park facilities for showers and such. With our current 34' Class A, we can easily go a week between dumping, and longer using the park facilities when available.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
Would it be unreasonable to unhook everything to go to a restaurant or maybe go sightseeing and then hook back up upon return?

Even easier if you don't hook everything up when you know you're going to be heading out. I often just hookup the electric, and use water from the storage tanks. I often use the campground showers, too - not much water use. I'm in Class B, so it's fairly easy to unplug and go. Shouldn't be much different in a small C.
2013 RT 190-Popular

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
How long you can go between dumps (and water fills) very much depends on your habits in terms of how much water you use, as well as on the tank sizes. I know that may sound rather cliche and unhelpful, but water conservation can go a very long ways towards extending one's time.

Typically the biggest water usage comes from showering and dishwashing. Navy showers are the rule, and using minimal wash and rinse water for dishes (a dishpan helps--for that matter, so does using paper plates and cups). With some care, it would certainly not be outrageous to expect a class C to last a weekend or a few days with two people. Using the campground showers, if there are any, would be a big help.

If you don't do too much to set up camp, unhooking can be very quick and straightforward: unplugging the electric, coiling the cord, retracting any awning, and driving off may be all it takes. Conversely, if you set up a lot of stuff (that may need moving) and hook up the water and sewer and cable TV and hang lights off the awning, it will take rather longer.

I would suggest not eliminating a longer RV than 25' outright, even without a toad, as it won't be significantly harder to find parking for a 30' RV than a 25' RV in most cases. You'd generally need two parking spaces end to end in either case. Maybe occasionally you could get away with a single space with the 25' unit if you could hang the back end several feet over some grass or something, but that's comparatively uncommon to be able to do. Naturally, the larger the RV the more difficult maneuvering in general is and the fewer small campsites you can fit in (which can be a difficulty particularly in some older state parks or other public campgrounds).

Driving a class C is rather like driving a U-Haul with comfortable seats and better visibility. Certainly they're affected by winds and passing trucks, as is any large slab-sided vehicle, and don't handle like a little car, but it's not too daunting with a little practice. Whether your wife would be comfortable or not with driving one I have any way of knowing, of course, since that sort of thing varies a lot from person to person.

How necessary reservations are depends on what part of the country you're in and what time of year it is. Around here in Vermont, they're a good idea during the weekends, and probably less necessary during the week. Getting reservations fairly early for holidays is a good idea if you have some specific place you want to go. I've yet to be completely unable to find someplace fun or nice on short notice, but at popular times it can take awhile to find. I mainly gone to state parks.

MikeV99
Explorer
Explorer
joannee2012: Thank you - perfect. Typically, with just the two of us, how long between dumps and fills for a small Class C? I suspect my bride of 56 years will want her own WC rather than one in a public place. Sounds like fun, but what about big trucks - will she feel comfortable driving (we have a full size SUV)? Gotta look for a rental.