cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fighting zoning ordinances that hurt RV owners

Obatanga_Boreal
Explorer
Explorer
We just moved to a new township and AGAIN are faced with ridiculous local zoning ordinances that prevent or strictly impede RV owners from parking their rigs in their own paved driveways or on their own property! These rules are wholly unfair. It seems zoning officers, in their quest to restrict derelict vehicles from driveways, have lumped RV owners into the same group and it's a terrible injustice. How do RV groups fight this wholesale discrimination by petty local officials???
64 REPLIES 64

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
sayoung wrote:
There is a new GIECO commercial spoofing HOA's . From seeing problems thru the years it's spot on which makes it hilarious to me. :B

A VERY hilarious commercial...

When we bought, we were looking at property with RV parking allowed.We wanted to have our 5th wheel next to us AND save the storage fees. Then came the fine print. We had not had a copy of the hoa's when we purchased. RV had to be behind a 6 foot fence and be no more than 4 feet above that fence.
Rick and Patti 🙂
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES 🙂
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

B92F
Explorer
Explorer
It will be a long battle, but the first thing I would do is research how other ordinances of this type were overturned, copies of the ordinance and any petition etc that was used. (Sounds like you may have done some of that already.)

Next I would find out what kind of process is needed in your particular town to have an ordinance overturned, petitioned to be put in front of the council etc. Then get with a local attorney for assistance in the drafting of what ever the required document is.

Last get with as many RV owners in your area to either sign a petition, show up at a council meeting, to push for the change. Find the best spokesman to present your case in a respectful manner and hope for the best.

That's my two cents, hope this helps a little.
2022 Ford F250 Super Duty
2020 Cherokee Arctic Wolf 285DRL4
B&W 20K Companion

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Obatanga Borealis wrote:
.... One neighbor mentioned that the township only enforces the RV ordinance if someone complains. Again, that's a ridiculous way to run a local government. ....

I go back and forth on this. Do you really want the local gov to enforce EVERY rule and ordinance strictly?

I am big on saying that if you aren't going to enforce a law, then don't have it. But I also like to give people some leeway and use discretion when it comes to enforcement. I know a lot of people in my local town hall... they overlook things all the time in the interest of "keeping the peace" and letting people get on with their lives.

It is like all the rules at campgrounds - they usually aren't all strictly enforced unless the management gets a complaint. Even then, a good manager will try to find out what the situation is before kicking campers out.

So, my comment added very little to this thread! Back to coffee....

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
“appreciate covenants and restrictions. But sometimes they can go too far.”

Then don’t agree to the covenants and restrictions by not buying a unit in that development.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
There is a new GIECO commercial spoofing HOA's . From seeing problems thru the years it's spot on which makes it hilarious to me. :B

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I was on my HOA board for 2 years after we took over control from the developer. When we moved in, there were no regulations about RVs. While the developer still had control, they added a rule that they had to be behind a 6' privacy fence when viewed from the street (but you could not have privacy fence on the side perimeter fences). At the time we had ours parked in a side yard that we designed specifically for parking the camper. So we complied and spent $2500 to install a 6' privacy gate and a wing on each side. This was in compliance. It looked totally stupid because on each side was the mandated 4' split rail fence, and of course you could still see the camper above the privacy fence.

I thought this was so stupid, that I ran for the HOA board and became president. The privacy fence rule was the first thing I worked with the board to change, but we did add a rule that it had to be behind A fence of some kind (so the required style of 4' split rail was fine), or be parked behind where a fence would go if they had one, and on some kind of surface that wasn't dirt. So basically if someone parked anywhere in their side or rear yard other than the driveway, and put down some gravel or something, they were in compliance.

And you know what happened? Instead of people complying with the new, very easy to follow rules, they STILL complained. They wanted to park in their driveways. We live on acre lots, so space was not an issue, they just didn't want to park in their back or side yard. Or they wanted to park 2 RVs, theirs and their friends so their friend didn't have to pay for a storage lot. We allow 1 RV and 1 other trailer of some kind, like a utility trailer or a boat. The same thing happened when we changed the rules to allow 1500 sq ft outbuildings instead of 1200 max. People then wanted to build 1800.

After spending 2 years on an HOA board, I now understand why HOAs are so strict.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
way2roll wrote:
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
way2roll wrote:
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
way2roll wrote:
This is an ordinance in our HOA - one I am not happy about and was changed after we moved here. We actually have boat storage in our neighborhood but RV's aren't permitted. We were told when we bought a lot here we could store our RV there - lied to basically. Anyway, the rule is that it can be in your drive for less than 24 hrs. But some folks do it for 2-3 days until someone complains. I've asked for an exception once for 3 days while we had family visiting to use it as a spare bedroom and it was denied. So now I don't ask for permission. I do what I want and ask for forgiveness later. There is an exception in cases of an extended power outage - like after a hurricane. I miss our old property. Had 6 acres and could store the Rv where I could see it.

If the ordinance was changed AFTER you moved there, were you able to have your say at the HOA meeting that was held when the matter was discussed and voted upon? I would imagine you did. And, relying on a verbal representation and basing your purchase on that is, well, just plain foolish. Sorry, just calling it as I see it.

Well assumptions without facts makes you - well, wrong. We went through a builder who brought down the lot and built the home and transferred to us. During that process the builder brought down enough lots to have controlling interest in the HOA. We technically weren't the homeowners then, the builder was. The timing was that the annual HOA meeting was held while the builder was building the house and thus we had no say and didn't even know. The family that owned the land was in control when we started the deal, when we were ready to build they sold all the lots to the builder. The process was in flux while the rules were changed and we weren't included. Anyway, long story short, we were told one things when we started the process and by the time we finished we had no idea ownership changed hands and thus the rules. By the time we signed the ink we were too personally and financially invested to die on that hill. But, had we known the rules had changed before they started the build, we would not have gone through with it. In various meetings since, several homeowners - including myself have brought this up in the HOA but not enough to sway a vote. Anyway, get the facts before you try and flame someone.

OK, now that I have all the facts that were left out of your previous post(s), here's a suggestion you might not have considered. MOVE!

Been on here less than 60 days and making all kinds of friends aren't you? Here's a suggestion, stop being a pompous, condescending a$$. I've seen a few of your posts over the past few days, none of which have been very helpful. Contrary they've done nothing but pi$$ people off. I assume by your title you are a realtor. I'd guess you'd have better people skills. If you want to talk further PM me. Happy to talk to you in person. Otherwise, add something to the forum or move on.

You and I just disagree on a few things. It's OK, really. Many people on this forum disagree. It's all part of the give and take. At least you won't see me having to use $$$ signs to spell words 🙂
It's all good. You'll get over it. I have no need to PM you, so just "move on" 😉

That's what I thought...
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
way2roll wrote:
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
way2roll wrote:
This is an ordinance in our HOA - one I am not happy about and was changed after we moved here. We actually have boat storage in our neighborhood but RV's aren't permitted. We were told when we bought a lot here we could store our RV there - lied to basically. Anyway, the rule is that it can be in your drive for less than 24 hrs. But some folks do it for 2-3 days until someone complains. I've asked for an exception once for 3 days while we had family visiting to use it as a spare bedroom and it was denied. So now I don't ask for permission. I do what I want and ask for forgiveness later. There is an exception in cases of an extended power outage - like after a hurricane. I miss our old property. Had 6 acres and could store the Rv where I could see it.

If the ordinance was changed AFTER you moved there, were you able to have your say at the HOA meeting that was held when the matter was discussed and voted upon? I would imagine you did. And, relying on a verbal representation and basing your purchase on that is, well, just plain foolish. Sorry, just calling it as I see it.

Well assumptions without facts makes you - well, wrong. We went through a builder who brought down the lot and built the home and transferred to us. During that process the builder brought down enough lots to have controlling interest in the HOA. We technically weren't the homeowners then, the builder was. The timing was that the annual HOA meeting was held while the builder was building the house and thus we had no say and didn't even know. The family that owned the land was in control when we started the deal, when we were ready to build they sold all the lots to the builder. The process was in flux while the rules were changed and we weren't included. Anyway, long story short, we were told one things when we started the process and by the time we finished we had no idea ownership changed hands and thus the rules. By the time we signed the ink we were too personally and financially invested to die on that hill. But, had we known the rules had changed before they started the build, we would not have gone through with it. In various meetings since, several homeowners - including myself have brought this up in the HOA but not enough to sway a vote. Anyway, get the facts before you try and flame someone.

OK, now that I have all the facts that were left out of your previous post(s), here's a suggestion you might not have considered. MOVE!

Been on here less than 60 days and making all kinds of friends aren't you? Here's a suggestion, stop being a pompous, condescending a$$. I've seen a few of your posts over the past few days, none of which have been very helpful. Contrary they've done nothing but pi$$ people off. I assume by your title you are a realtor. I'd guess you'd have better people skills. If you want to talk further PM me. Happy to talk to you in person. Otherwise, add something to the forum or move on.

You and I just disagree on a few things. It's OK, really. Many people on this forum disagree. It's all part of the give and take. At least you won't see me having to use $$$ signs to spell words 🙂
It's all good. You'll get over it. I have no need to PM you, so just "move on" 😉
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
aligators are ornary because they got all them teeth but no toothbrush
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
way2roll wrote:
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
way2roll wrote:

2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
afidel wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
I bought a home in an HOA w strict rules so the place never becomes an eyesore. It's a hassle but I deal with it.

The next town to the south has boats, and rvs parked everywhere and it's horrid.

In another area, my buddy bought a 1 acre lot w no restrictions and he built the garagemahal to live in. It works for him but doesn't do justice to the beautiful, classic low country brick homes that he has around him. Nothing like having a concrete driveway encircle the house (like a moat) so you call pull through w truck and 21' center console.

It's SO horrid, people using the property they own to store legal vehicles that they own, get me my smelling salts. I guess I'm in favor of some HOAs if it keeps busybodies like you from petitioning city councils to pass MORE regulations! Seriously, unless someone's causing a public health problem or presenting an attractive nuisance my attitude is do what you want with your property. As long as there aren't consequences on MY property it's no big deal (and in one case even though it has worsened the flooding in my yard I haven't complained because it keeps his driveway from washing out every few years).

There isn't one thing I said to deserve the response you made, so you can take your high and mighty ASSUMPTIONS about me and shove them. My comments referred to HOA's not a municipality.

First of all I'm not a busybody - I bought where I wanted to avoid people parking their stuff on the public streets, living in RV's, and on their lawns blocking the view of intersections, etc. I'm happy for them as the HORRID appearance keeps property taxes down along w their home values. In the end they are reducing the number of potential buyers for their homes and the selling price.

Secondly I never said I was in favor of or participating in any actions inside or outside of an HOA tightening any restrictions private property.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
trouble is you get people like my BIL. Who has been fighting the city for years.
He thinks it is perfectly fine to pile his driveway, yard and where ever he can find, with junk trailers, rusted farm tractors, and junk of every kind and description. And he uses the same argument. He has rights, it is his property, he can do what he wants. Strangely he never considers his neighbors or their rights.

Many times laws are passed because of someone like him, but it affects the rest of us

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
way2roll wrote:

. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
we do get a 4 day grace period though so boat and camper sit side by each a few days around camping trips while we pack/cleanup

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
we are allowed 1 apr30-nov 1. my boat and my camper share the spot the other lives in the back lot at work. come nov 1 ill likely wait for a warning on the boat (there are campers and boats all down my street. the launch is less than a mile away) and if they get away with it so will I. If not the boat will join the camper at work on go in to storage depending on how much the owners like me at the time.