Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time RV

Stephen2753
Explorer
Explorer
Hello:

We have just received a gift of a 27' Class C from a relative, 1993 Ford, model MTR-H, mileage is 97,370, empty weight 8000. This is a first, in my life, have never camped in one.

I have been reading and viewing all the great info on the various blogs and am getting ready for our first trip. Grandmother, 2 daughters and 3 grandchildren.

I saw various posts regarding insurance,we just received the title and plates and now need insurance. The prior owner suggested we contact others with class c to ask which companies they use. We currently have Geico for auto insurance. The owner also said the insurance should be about $ 400 a year.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
18 REPLIES 18

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum. That's a nice gift.

If possible, camp a few nights in your yard or driveway. You will learn how to work everything while at home. If it's not possible, go to a nearby campground.
It's nice to know how things work before hitting the road.

And, an important thing, CHECK YOUR TIRES. RV tires usually age out before they wear out.
They may have plenty of tread but, be dryrotted.
You don't want a blowout or tire problems while traveling.

Enjoy your travels. Don't hesitate to ask questions on the forum, there's lots of experience and advice available.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

Since the rig is more than 20 years old, you're obviously not interested in full insurance (collision and comp), so all you'll need is liability insurance. I'd start with your current insurance company, they usually offer multi-vehicle discounts. Also, ask about a discount for only using the vehicle only part of the year if you're not going to camp year round.

As far as price, there's just too many factors to consider. It varies by state, county, driver history, credit rating, etc etc etc.

Anyway, sound advice offered regarding tires. Having a blowout is no fun, so make sure those tires are good and not too old.

Also, if you're camping with that many people, check with the campground before going. Lots of them charge for more than 2 adults and 2 kids.

Have fun on you new adventures!

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Welcome to the fun of RVing and great memories. Before taking off you need to check the DOT date codes on the side of the tires. Hopefully it will end in something like 2411 (24th week of 2011) not 1006 which would make them over nine years old. Do not judge the tires by the amount of tread as MH tires age out before we wear them out. Sitting for long periods of time is hard on them and not keeping enough air in them shorten their life. No way would I start out without putting AT LEAST two new on the front regardless of age as you have no way of knowing how they were treated. A blowout on the rear is exciting (you accelerate before starting to slow down) and one on the front can be fatal if you panic and put the brakes on hard. Be safe and have fun.
Watch this video.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning

How exciting to get your first RV and be going on your first trip. Lots to learn but it's not rocket science so relax. Lot of good people willing and able to share info here. We currently are with geico and its around $500 a year. Price varies considerably based on many factors, we carry a trailer on our policy also.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272