cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time RVing. What should we consider? Insurance?

pagetrip
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

I will apologize right at the get so as some of my questions might be very vague. This is our first time renting an RV and there are so many unknowns.

To: Seattle
Duration: 26 to 30 days

The most important question that I need answer to: INSURANCE?
My current auto insurance doesn't cover RV Rental. Their RV policy won't cover RV rental either. The rental company is charging me an arm and leg for good coverage. Are there any reasonable alternatives to buying it from rental company?

We are planning to rent an RV in NYC and drive to Seattle in May/June. We got a good deal on a rental so we booked it without doing much planning. We are renting a large 2020 Class C motorhome (not sure of the exact model). Any suggestions or recommendations on how to plan a cross country trip? I am used to plan road trips in a car with camping/motel stops but I am not sure what resources to use to look for good RV stops. What should I look for in a camp ground that is specific to an RV? Also, are there any resources for looking at best practices for a long RV trip? We are renting a generator. We are planning to bring our own linens and kitchen utensils. We will be flying one way from Seattle to NYC and do the one-way return trip. What are some of the obvious things to carry for a long RV trip? Any general advice for first timers?

Thank you for your time.
10 REPLIES 10

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great suggestions given. When you pick up your RV, stand away from the side and look at the distance from the back wheels to the end of the RV. When you take a corner or leave a tight area that tail swings way out and even though the rear wheels and most of the back of the RV has cleared the obstruction that last 3 or so feet is still swinging out.. example: you pull up to the gas pump. It's a bit tight so you are close to the pump which is on the drivers side. When you finish and are ready to leave you decide you want to turn to the right. If you turn to soon the tail will hit the pump or one of the guards as it swings out. Be sure you have enough room for that back end to clear before turning..saves a lot of trouble..
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Your insurance co should be able to add an additional coverage for the RV. Might be time for a new ins co.
My insurance is nothing special, but covers anything I am driving, not just the vehicle I own. However, I have not checked if this also covers the RV extras or just the chassis.

Odd that a rental RV has no on-board generator. Keep shopping around. I would rent an RV that is ready to go. By "renting a generator" do you mean you will have a portable one? That will be a hassle and a HUGE mistake - for a newbie RVer to have to set up and secure (from theft) a generator each day. Not worth it.

Pack light if you are flying half the trip.

Generally in an RV it is best to use propane appliances and not electric. Electric requires to be plugged in or to run the generator. Propane is always there and cheap to use.

Are you planning to see the country along the way or just getting to the destination fast?
Staying in a campground every night is not necessary and can take up huge chunks of time that could be spent driving or doing something else. Expensive too if all you will do is pull in, sleep then get up and leave. Walmark parking lots offer the same and no check-in required.
A lot of travelers just drive, and when it is time to sleep or pull over for an RV cooked meal they just find a parking lot along the route and a level spot.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Download the RVPARKY app. It will give you campgrounds along your route real time as you travel. It also lists gas stations, Walmarts, Cracker Barrels etc. ..look it over and get familiar with it. That's what I use and it works great for me. What we do is start calling campgrounds about 3pm for stopping at about 4pm. We have never been shut out and not able to find a place to stay for the night. Be careful making reservations too far out because you may have to give a credit card to hold a site and be charged if you don't make it there.

Try to take secondary roads when you can and get off the interstate, way more interesting to go through the small towns and more opportunity to stop.
Don't drive yourself silly by putting in 12 hour days behind the wheel, stop to see what there is to see along the way.

Just curious though, a 2020 Class C motorhome doesn't have a built in generator? The rental doesn't have pots and pans that come with it? I understand not coming with linens.

Youtube has a lot of good videos on everything RV related. Look some up to review and learn.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Check with your current vechicle insurance company for a separate insurance policy or check with Good Sam. To plan your trip. Use the Good Sam RV PARKS web site. Search for RV parks around each city you will be traveling through then make reservations. I would all your reservations for your total trip. You can always cancel if your plans change along the way.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Read up on emptying holding tanks. A mishap there, well, you won't have to worry about anybody getting too close to your bubble 🙂

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
first day out, find a parking lot and drive it ,turn it,back it up, spend some time testing how things work. remember this is a fun trip slow down and smell the roses. good luck.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
For starters,,,,,,, exhale.
Most 2020 large class C rv's have an onboard generator, that will operate off the onboard fuel tank. Check with the renter, you should be fine there.
Verify the length of the unit. Most parks will help you select campsites based on length and type of hookups you need.
Water and 30 amp power are commonly what is needed, but double check, again with the renter if the unit is a 50 amp service unit.
(hint, if it has 2 air conditioners, its a 50)
Plan your trip with travel days around a 300 mile day, if you are not used to driving and setting up that size and type of unit, you will appreciate NOT pushing farther/harder within a day or two.
Dont get upset if you dont hit every National park in a single 4 week cross country trip. This is supposed to be a vacation, not a marathon, take your time to relish the freedom.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Consider reservations at busy places but not for most locations. Otherwise, you get into a situation where you feel pressured to go on when you may be tired or weather is horrible.

Also, DC isn't really on the way from NYC to Seattle.

No worries finding a laundromat. Go to a big one and you can use 3-4 washers at the same time and it will take 1.5hrs and you are on your way.

As long as the linens and kitchen stuff is a modest amount, not a huge issue flying it back. You might consider supplementing with stuff from the goodwill and leave it behind.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Carry a lot of underwear, socks, etc to last at least half of the trip so you only need to stop once at a Laundromat. Forget flying across country with kitchen gear. You can buy the basics dirt cheap at Walmart or the dollar store and either keep it or throw it away at the end of the trip.

It is probably too late but I would have recommended making reservations for any National Parks you want to visit. At this point you might have to settle for reservations in the parks but you should reserve nearby.

Due to the heavy, heavy crowds in all outdoor rec areas since Covid, I would recommend laying out the entire trip and reserving for as many nights as possible. I have no idea what you want to see in the East and middle of the US. I drive through those areas rapidly, typically 500-600 miles a day. For a new RVer plan on no more than half that. I stay at Walmarts, rest stops, truck stops, etc, while on the road. I don't plan those in advance.

For the East coast, I would recommend Cherry Hill outside of DC and take train to visit the Capitol, Smithsonian, art galleries, etc. Williamsburg is definitely worth several days in you have any interest in Colonial America.

I am not sure about insurance but suggest you start with your regular car insurance agent.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Talk to your independent insurance agent for his/her recommendations.

Don’t think that you’ll do 400 or 500 miles day after day. It’s no fun. I follow the 230 rule..I stop at 2:30 pm or after 230 miles. Smell the roses, don’t try to blow them away. Stay off the Interstates...see the real America.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad