cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator rating

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
I have 1975 Terry 21' trailer and a 1998 Rockwood Ultra light.

How do I figure out the wattage of generator I need for them?
24 REPLIES 24

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting on 30amp not running micro, A/C at the same time. We do it all the time with the 4000 watt Gen and while plugged into 30 amp(that's all we have). We even run the TV and computers too. Must have better 30 amp!

LEN

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Using the autoformer and a hybrid inverter allows me to run the roof air and the microwave at the same time. I can do this on a 15 amp-shore power supply.

I can also do it with the eco setting on for my Yamaha sIEB 2800 watt (23.3 amp) generator. I do not have the autoformer in the circuit.

wanderingbob wrote:
No matter how large the generator the 30 amp service will prevent running the air and microwave at same time . Probably blow breakers in trailer . Just plan on turning air off or to fan only for the short run of microwave ! We all play that way !
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
No matter how large the generator the 30 amp service will prevent running the air and microwave at same time . Probably blow breakers in trailer . Just plan on turning air off or to fan only for the short run of microwave ! We all play that way !

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Another solution is 3400 watts plus the microair easy start for the roof air.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Confusion will continue. No one makes a 4000 watt inverter generator. The best solution would be a 3400 watt married to a 3000 watt hybrid inverter such as the Magnum 3012.

swimmer_spe wrote:
naturist wrote:
swimmer_spe wrote:

Would 2800 watts be enough?

Once I know what wattage to go with, I will shop around.

Short answer: NO.

2800 watts will run your AC and maybe a couple lights. Hit the microwave, however, and it'll choke, guaranteed. That size will be running close to capacity whenever it is running (up until it kicks off because somebody decided to make popcorn, or turned on one too many lights), which is not a prescription for longevity.

As somebody else pointed out, a trailer with 30 amp service will require a 3600 watt generator to supply all 30 amps. That's just how it is. If you really want to be able to run EVERYTHING at once, go for a 4,000 watt generator.

Thank you... After several pages of confusion, this makes the most sense to me.

Or, get the one closest to 4000w and not use the a/c and microwave at the same time.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Confusion will continue. No one makes a 4000 watt inverter generator. The best solution would be a 3400 watt married to a 3000 watt hybrid inverter such as the Magnum 3012.

swimmer_spe wrote:
naturist wrote:
swimmer_spe wrote:

2800 watts will run your AC and maybe a couple lights. Hit the microwave, however, and it'll choke, guaranteed. That size will be running close to capacity whenever it is running (up until it kicks off because somebody decided to make popcorn, or turned on one too many lights), which is not a prescription for longevity.

As somebody else pointed out, a trailer with 30 amp service will require a 3600 watt generator to supply all 30 amps. That's just how it is. If you really want to be able to run EVERYTHING at once, go for a 4,000 watt generator.

Regards, Don

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
swimmer_spe wrote:

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
swimmer_spe wrote:

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
I would get the Champion 3400 watt inverter generator with remote electric start.

That would also be my choice. I have two Champ 2000's and highly recommend the Champion brand.

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
I am powering one trailer at a time. One trailer has a microwave and an a/c. The other does not. I have a propane water heater for them both.

So, it would mostly be for lights and what ever else I plug in (tv, laptop, game system...).

I would not be at an organized campground when using one. It would be the side of a dirt road or an old gravel pit next to a lake. It is crown land, and therefor free to use.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you want to reliably run 2 air conditioners and 2 microwaves then the best choice may be the Honda 7000 watt inverter generator.

What the amp ratings on each unit?
Regards, Don

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok.. 30 amps is 3600 Watts so a 4,000 will be best (better to go over than under) unless you have two air conditioners than go 5,000 watts r 5500 watts.

If you have a 50 amp RV 5500 runs everything in MY house (2 A/Cs) but some folks go as high as 7500... 50 amps max power consumption theoretical is 012000 watts. but as I said I get by just fine with 5500.. I even daisy to a 2nd rv, though when I do that I sometimes trip a 30 amp breaker.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever you settled on, please consider a digital inverter generator instead of an open frame job site generator. Those job site ones are dirt cheap for a reason, they're loud as heck.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where are you planning on using these large generators... Pretty big and heavy and noisy... Also alot of camping sites may have issues with them...

Normally here in lower states you just can't show up fire up the big and loud generator and go on your merry way haha...

Most public camp grounds with no hookups have generator run times restrictions and even sometimes only have certain areas where you can use a generator...

The Natl Forest areas just now here on the East side starting to do the 8AM to 8PM generators allowed. Out West here in theSstates you can find dispersed camping locations and you do what ever you want I guess...

Here on the east side I thing most of us will use a smaller 2KW type very low noise generator and only run a few things which does not include the Air Conditioner or the high wattage microwave...

If you are going to do the RV Traveling as opposed to the RV Camping off the grid then you can find places to run larger generator overnite parked somewhere I guess...

In my case I beefed up the battery system to run Power Inverters and direct connected to the battery things etc and then only use my small 2KW generator each morning to recharge my batteries back up if the battery banks has dropped down to its 50% charge state... Doing this and adding solar panels keeps you in battery power mode a long time...

You will find that if you camp alot off grid you will need a generator for sure and then can use solar panels to trickle charge the larger battery during high sun... You don't always have high sun all the time for the solar panels...

Just things to think about here... I'm sure things up north run about the same way it does down here to the south of you...

Roy ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS