cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got our new B+ nine months ago and only have been on a couple of trips so far, due to health reasons, but my question is how often should I run my generator? We've never use it, but to start it once, as we're always plugged into shore power. Don't want the thing to go bad on me, especially when we might need it. And I need to know the winterizing procedure.

thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
15 REPLIES 15

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
The machine that was run only once (one thermal cycle) drained of fuel and fogged so none of the internal bare metal gets a chance to corrode.

Your assertion is that the engine drained of fuel and properly fogged will be in better shape stored than one run periodically. That may well be true, and not being an engineer, I would probably agree with that statement.

But therein lies the problem and the answer why Onan says run it every month. Almost every RVer has no way to properly and completely drain the fuel and a means to properly fog the engine for long term storage.
Almost every Onan and RV service center does not have the equipment or talent to accomplish what you propose. Therefore, their recommendation satisfies the need to keep the fuel from totally evaporating, gumming up the fuel system, and dispersing any moisture. Their recommendation meets reality, not theoretical.

Also, there is the issue of the generator components not addressed in your post.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:

Now, let me ask a question.
After a year, which do you believe will be in better condition?
The machine that was thermal cycled every month and left with old fuel and oil in it. (Even in a desert environment, the combustion by-products left in a cylinder will cause corrosion.)
Or
The machine that was run only once (one thermal cycle) drained of fuel and fogged so none of the internal bare metal gets a chance to corrode.

Matt

Finally some common sense about generator use. Thank You.

One thing that you might want to add is that there can be a problem with the loss of residual magnetism in some generators, these should be started perhaps once a year.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Matt_Colie wrote:
OK Garmp,

I know what you have been told and most of it is not the best plan. The run the machine at half load is left over from WWII when the lacquer used in the windings was hydroscopic. It is epoxy now. If you are going to run it to keep the carburetor clear of old fuel, it is still a bad idea. If I got the right coach, you can't do much though the little access you have. So, what I will suggest is what any experienced engine engineer will suggest.

There should be a "let down" for the machine. Get a can of "Fogging Oil" at an autoparts storefront. Get out the owner's manual and find out how to stop the fuel flow into it. Now, Let it down and start it. Stop the fuel flow and start spraying the fogging oil into the intake. When I finally coughs off, close it back and wind it up. Now, leave it alone. It is now in the condition it was shipped and waited all those months in a warehouse or yard to be sold to you.

This has also just winterized it. It will be good when you need it. When you do, turn the fuel back on and hit the start button. It will smoke for a very little while, but then remember to repeat this when you get back home.

You do still have to change the oil every year if you run it at all. If you change the oil after you have "put it to bed", you should still change the oil at least every other year. It oxidizes the anti-wear additives and there is nothing you can do about that.

Matt

Sir, do you know more than the manufacturers and what the write in their owner's manuals?

Well Down,

Actually, I believe that the biggest difference is that I do not sell parts and service. Their plan (that has not been changed in years) provides their parts and service network with continued business that is virtually guaranteed.

I also worked for a while composing and writing some of those manuals and was instructed to not worry about facts, just copy the old manuals and change only what has changed about that product. (I did this for several manufactures and they had the same criteria.)

As I am a ship's engineer by trade that came to work in the engine laboratories around Detroit for decades, I have learned a great deal in those six decades about keeping stored engines and other machines in the best condition.

Even if you run a carbureted engine every month, there will still be residual fuel in the float bowl. The alcohol in new motor fuel absorbs water and becomes corrosive. Then the alcohol evaporates and leaves behind the water and the heavy ends of the hydrocarbon distillate. New clean fuel will not dissolve this. Onan does not sell carburetor kits, just replacement carburetors.

If any engine is going to be ignored for a long period, it is much better off being fogged and stored properly than trying to annoy it with irregular starting and ineffective storing methods.

Do as you choose, I have two Onans both from the early 70's and the one in my coach will start right now. (The other would if I got it out and connected a fuel source and a battery.) I also have three Kohler singles that are as reliable and there is even a 40yo Honda in the mix. (The house back-up) I don't like to run it because it is a pull-start. I do not tolerate undependable engines.

Now, let me ask a question.
After a year, which do you believe will be in better condition?
The machine that was thermal cycled every month and left with old fuel and oil in it. (Even in a desert environment, the combustion by-products left in a cylinder will cause corrosion.)
Or

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
OK Garmp,

I know what you have been told and most of it is not the best plan. The run the machine at half load is left over from WWII when the lacquer used in the windings was hydroscopic. It is epoxy now. If you are going to run it to keep the carburetor clear of old fuel, it is still a bad idea. If I got the right coach, you can't do much though the little access you have. So, what I will suggest is what any experienced engine engineer will suggest.

There should be a "let down" for the machine. Get a can of "Fogging Oil" at an autoparts storefront. Get out the owner's manual and find out how to stop the fuel flow into it. Now, Let it down and start it. Stop the fuel flow and start spraying the fogging oil into the intake. When I finally coughs off, close it back and wind it up. Now, leave it alone. It is now in the condition it was shipped and waited all those months in a warehouse or yard to be sold to you.

This has also just winterized it. It will be good when you need it. When you do, turn the fuel back on and hit the start button. It will smoke for a very little while, but then remember to repeat this when you get back home.

You do still have to change the oil every year if you run it at all. If you change the oil after you have "put it to bed", you should still change the oil at least every other year. It oxidizes the anti-wear additives and there is nothing you can do about that.

Matt

Sir, do you know more than the manufacturers and what the write in their owner's manuals?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Generators shoudl be run for at least 1/2 hour under 1/2 load EVERY MONTH.. I do mine on or about the 1st when changing campgrounds.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
When winterizing, start the generator, shut the fuel off and let it run the carburetor bowl dry.

I do this every time I use it and I live in a desert...?
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
When winterizing, start the generator, shut the fuel off and let it run the carburetor bowl dry.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
OK Garmp,

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Our diesel generator is not run for months on end, never fails to start and operate as it should.

Gas may be different.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I only run mine when needed...thirteen years and 1000 hours.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
mines about 10years old now run it one time per month if I remember it, turn on the air ,or a electric heater ,run mine 30 min. its a propane outfit.

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Once a month for 30 minutes under a 50% load.

We do the same thing, even our little Honda generator we run once a month under load.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
My Onan owner's manual says to run it once every 30 days for 2 hours under a 50% load. You should read your owner's manual and do exactly what it says.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Once a month for 30 minutes under a 50% load.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.