cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting ready for a trip.

HeeHawHoney
Explorer
Explorer
We are getting ready to load the RV with the necessities for our Labor Day weekend at the beach. I am not looking forward to the packing process. When I am lugging bags, and laundry baskets, of supplies out of the house, is when one of the benefits of being full-time is very apparent.

My question is this:

Do any of you have any tips that make loading the RV a little easier?
"The Hilton"
2002 Jayco 3100SS
Brett and Tracy and Bella (The Beautiful Bulldog)
My Blog - Alabama Overdrive
Pic of "The Hilton"
Pic of "The Beautiful Bulldog"
Pic of Brett and Tracy
38 REPLIES 38

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree about cleaning out your closet for camping clothes. That's what I did for the most part. My exception was buying thermals because I don't need them at home, so didn't have them. What I did try to do is make sure everything I put in there is interchangeable - all tops go with all bottoms. That way I get the most out of a limited supply.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
HeeHawHoney wrote:
I see that I'm going to have to invest in "camper clothes". That makes perfect sense to have at least a couple of changes that live in the RV.

Definitely don't go out and buy clothes for camping. Just do some closet cleaning! Take along clothes that are older or that you rarely use. This even goes for underwear :E , night wear, sweatshirts and even older jackets if you have better ones for at home. Take your old stuff and leave it. You don't have to dress up to go camping.

Save that shopping trip for new clothes for your closet at home after transferring your old clothes to the RV.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jim Shoe wrote:
I bought a 60' x 60' building with three 12' x 12' garage doors. I had two vented gas furnaces installed for comfort in the winter and a 30A circuit installed next to my 'C' so I can fire up the A/C in the summer if I'm loading. Also have a fridge and upright freezer to store food and drinks for upcoming trips, and a full set of tools if I need to fix something during down time. Full bath, including shower.
For recreation, a fully stocked bar and back bar, pool table, Dish TV, two pinball machines and a juke box that plays 45's. Portable tables and chairs for up to 60 of my closest friends. And no neighbors to call the police. Obviously, I'm not married or I would have been killed by now. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hmm, you got room for a little American Clipper in there too? ๐Ÿ˜‰

I just spent about 30 minutes emptying my tanks and refilling the fresh water. All I have to do to go somewhere is:

1. Load cold and frozen foods
2. Load camera gear and backpack (preloaded with meds, electronics, etc.)
3. Load the dogs and the bird
4. Unplug and drive away

Since I'm usually traveling 2-4 hours to my preferred campgrounds, and check in is 2 p.m., I find myself watching a movie in the morning before I leave - just so I don't get anxy to get going.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We leave ours packed besides clothes, electronics (ipad, laptop, cameras) and food. Our coach is parked in our driveway which is on a slope and we can't keep fridge running. So while it's close to house, on the slope, we try to load what we can then (besides cold food). Normally, the day before we leave, I pull it to the top of our driveway and get the fridge going. If we have anything to load after that, then we use laundry baskets and the golf cart (that all the campers on here love :D) to drive up the hill to the coach. Makes things easier. We don't have "camper" clothes. Well at least not much. There are some clothes that we leave in there, but only a few things.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
These days getting ready for a trip is much more time consuming though somewhat easier.

Day 1: Get up at 6 to start a full day of air travel & sitting around airports arriving where the trailer is too late to get out of storage & into a CG.

Day 2: Get trailer out of storage after reconnecting battery etc. Park outside of market & load from cart right into trailer. Head to nearby CG to finish preparing for what is usually a minimum 2 month trip.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 60' x 60' building with three 12' x 12' garage doors. I had two vented gas furnaces installed for comfort in the winter and a 30A circuit installed next to my 'C' so I can fire up the A/C in the summer if I'm loading. Also have a fridge and upright freezer to store food and drinks for upcoming trips, and a full set of tools if I need to fix something during down time. Full bath, including shower.
For recreation, a fully stocked bar and back bar, pool table, Dish TV, two pinball machines and a juke box that plays 45's. Portable tables and chairs for up to 60 of my closest friends. And no neighbors to call the police. Obviously, I'm not married or I would have been killed by now. ๐Ÿ™‚
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
What in world is the OP moaning about?

Try this out. It is what we had to do every weekend that we went boating, And we used to go overnight boating EVERY weekend May through October.

Pack up 4 55qt coolers, clothing, swimsuits, towels etc & load the car.
Drive to where we have a skiff needed to get to the boat.
Lug all the stuff down a flightof stairs. Load the skiff.
Do the 2 mile ride to where the boat was moored out in a bay.
Lift all the stuff up out of the skiff into the big boat & put all the stuff away.

Only after all of that was done did we start to prep the boat to move.

The whole process from first item in the cooler to key turned on the boat took over 2 1/2hrs.

If only the boat could be parked right outside the house like the RV.

Yep, I feel your pain! It's the same here!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
What in world is the OP moaning about?

Try this out. It is what we had to do every weekend that we went boating, And we used to go overnight boating EVERY weekend May through October.

Pack up 4 55qt coolers, clothing, swimsuits, towels etc & load the car.
Drive to where we have a skiff needed to get to the boat.
Lug all the stuff down a flightof stairs. Load the skiff.
Do the 2 mile ride to where the boat was moored out in a bay.
Lift all the stuff up out of the skiff into the big boat & put all the stuff away.

Only after all of that was done did we start to prep the boat to move.

The whole process from first item in the cooler to key turned on the boat took over 2 1/2hrs.

If only the boat could be parked right outside the house like the RV.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Have the chauffeur load the RV.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
Our trailer is permanently stocked with most things like camping clothes, bedding, cookware. For other things, I use a wire bound dollar store notebook and refer to the list I created for the medications/perishables that need to be moved to the trailer. This valuable little book also includes a checklist to follow when we break camp. There's a record of repairs too. Lists, lists, lists - but it makes life so much easier !

We have 3 baskets with handles and they are used to transport the "stuff". Makes easy work out of it for us.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I pack and unpack, because outside storage is just too hot for much of the year to leave behind anything heat sensitive or perishable. I work with the checklists my late wife developed for her inside part of it, but I don't take so much that it is any more than a 30 minute job, or more than 5-6 trips from the house to RV. The packing is a lot less work than the pre-trip mechanical inspection, water system sanitizing and flushing, which is a few hours spread over one or two days.

One thing that has helped has been keeping the checklist handy, so that I can note what did not get used, and what I needed that I failed to bring. Enough of this refinement, you'll find that you are packing a lot less stuff than you formerly packed.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
2milesup wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:

Here's a moving dolly from Harbor Freight a whopping 12.00 bucks rated for 1,000 lbs! Same one can be bought at any big box stores.Screw a sheet of plywood on top attached a rope pull and you can schlep a ton of stuff out in ONE trip!

Do you check torque on the wheels' lug nuts? How often must you reseal the top of the plywood? What is the cart's GVWR and CC? The rope's rating? Sway control? People will need to know...

:W

Don't forget - you got to have a big enough tow person.

kvangil
Explorer
Explorer
Like everyone else says, we leave it packed, except for clothes and food. The clothes get placed in a couple of those large re-usable grocery bags, and the food get put in coolers or as few bags as possible. That way, we only make a couple trips from house to camper. Then we stock everything away into the fridge/shelves when we setup camp.
2004 Jayco X23b
2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4

2milesup
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:

Here's a moving dolly from Harbor Freight a whopping 12.00 bucks rated for 1,000 lbs! Same one can be bought at any big box stores.Screw a sheet of plywood on top attached a rope pull and you can schlep a ton of stuff out in ONE trip!

Do you check torque on the wheels' lug nuts? How often must you reseal the top of the plywood? What is the cart's GVWR and CC? The rope's rating? Sway control? People will need to know...

:W
Jerry & Lori
2011 Chevy 1500 5.3L Z71 4X4
2015 Lance 2285
Andersen Sway Control, Prodigy, Honda EU2000i, empty wallet