cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

guage For battery cable

thehippie
Explorer
Explorer
What’s a good gauge for battery cable to bridge/parallel 2 coach batteries?

There’s 2 guage and 4 guage at pep boys and Walmart Near me
19 REPLIES 19

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
http://www.genuinedealz.com/custom-cables

Get the exact length, correct lug, pro crimped and sealed up with shrink wrap.
#8 to 4/0 at a good price.

thehippie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your responses. I ended buying the 1 gauge. So far so good

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
As long as you're not pulling more than 30A then you're fine, but I bet I could suck alot more than 30A at peak out of my camper batteries without trying too hard. That's a small fuse depending on your setup.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting topic. 2 or 4 gauge wire, but I am supposed to have a 30 amp fuse in line and the wire attached to the fuse holder is 8 gauge at best.
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
wa8yxm wrote:
The answer depends on the max Current. For up to 100 amps 4GA is ok, but 2GA is better. if you are planing on drawing 200 amps. Now we are into 0000 land.

What he said^. And at that you could probably get away with 6ga, but I’d have to calc the amp draw, 4 is safe.
2/0 is not even remotely applicable for a couple deep cycle camper batteries unless you’re trying to arc weld with them!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

sbrdude86
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html
I have two 12V AGM on my TT
Balance is key to making them last

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The answer depends on the max Current. For up to 100 amps 4GA is ok, but 2GA is better. if you are planing on drawing 200 amps. Now we are into 0000 land.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
I stand corrected. Thank you.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Optimistic Paranoid wrote:
DrewE wrote:

In theory, the cables between the two batteries only carry half the current that the cables to the inverter would carry (assuming two batteries in parallel) and are short enough that added voltage drop is fairly insignificant.

Well, yes, that's true IF you hook your + and - wires from the inverter up to the SAME battery. Personally, I would hook the + wire to one battery and the - wire to the OTHER battery to keep the load on the two batteries balanced. For that, you want the battery to battery cables to be the same size as the inverter wires.

In that case, it still works out that each interconnect would carry half the current (the half going to or coming from the "other" battery from the connection to the inverter) assuming they are operating in a balanced manner. As I did write, in a fault condition like an open battery, they could have to carry the full current regardless so they should be sized at a minimum to do that safely (without catching fire), but presumably one doesn't care about e.g. voltage drop in a fault condition.

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
thehippie wrote:
putting a heavier gauge is ok?

Sure. Won't hurt a thing. Well, unless you go RIDICULOUSLY overboard, in which case the only thing you're hurting is your wallet . . .

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:

In theory, the cables between the two batteries only carry half the current that the cables to the inverter would carry (assuming two batteries in parallel) and are short enough that added voltage drop is fairly insignificant.

Well, yes, that's true IF you hook your + and - wires from the inverter up to the SAME battery. Personally, I would hook the + wire to one battery and the - wire to the OTHER battery to keep the load on the two batteries balanced. For that, you want the battery to battery cables to be the same size as the inverter wires.

But as a practical matter, either way would work.

thehippie
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
thehippie wrote:

It sort of depends on the loads you're going to put on the battery bank. If you're going to hook a largish inverter up to your battery bank, and use 2/0 gauge cable on it, then the cables between the batteries ALSO need to be 2/0 gauge.

In theory, the cables between the two batteries only carry half the current that the cables to the inverter would carry (assuming two batteries in parallel) and are short enough that added voltage drop is fairly insignificant. I would still size them to be able to safely carry the worst-case current, but not figure any voltage drop considerations for that current. (Under a fault condition, such as an open in one battery, they could carry the full current.) Using the same size wire is perfectly reasonable, though, and any savings from using smaller cables are likely to be insignificant since they are short.
putting a heavier guage is ok?

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
thehippie wrote:

It sort of depends on the loads you're going to put on the battery bank. If you're going to hook a largish inverter up to your battery bank, and use 2/0 gauge cable on it, then the cables between the batteries ALSO need to be 2/0 gauge.

In theory, the cables between the two batteries only carry half the current that the cables to the inverter would carry (assuming two batteries in parallel) and are short enough that added voltage drop is fairly insignificant. I would still size them to be able to safely carry the worst-case current, but not figure any voltage drop considerations for that current. (Under a fault condition, such as an open in one battery, they could carry the full current.) Using the same size wire is perfectly reasonable, though, and any savings from using smaller cables are likely to be insignificant since they are short.

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
thehippie wrote: