cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How Much Propane is Used....

donnieR32
Explorer
Explorer
I see the infamous do you travel with your propane on question, but I have a slightly different one. How much propane are we using to cool our fridges when traveling? I don't have a propane gauge so I really don't know how much I'm going through.
15 REPLIES 15

JFNM
Explorer
Explorer
I'm the same as everyone else - Norcold 1200 and it seems to use very little LP. It would be really neat to have a $1000 gas flow gauge on the line so I could see exactly how much I'm using but I'm not quite that curious... ๐Ÿ™‚
JD - Full timer out west
1998 MCI 102-EL3 Revolution | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
As full timers, we only refill our 30 lb propane tanks once a year (each tank once). Even using our furnace in cold weather and using our onboard propane generator occasionally does not really impact our propane usage. We dry camped quite a bit during our 2014 Alaska trip and still only had one additional propane fill. Propane is not that expensive so we do not worry about tank fills.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

jackquontee
Explorer
Explorer
DELETE

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We did a lot of boondocking in the summers so used propane all the time. We were amazed at how long it lasted and it did for about 4-5 months even with cooking and hot water.

The furnace is what uses a lot of propane.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
In summer my propane use is very low. Fridge, water heater, furnace once in a while briefly. If I'm not using the furnace I almost don't count the propane use. The gauge just creeps downward and I usually schedule a refill weeks in advance.

My propane is used much more in the winter (furnace) when nights are in 20s and some days don't get out of 40s. This is the only time I've had to hunt down propane and make unscheduled stop for it.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a very rough rule of thumb, the fridge uses somewhere around a pound of propane per day. Obviously there are many variables with the size of the fridge, the ambient temperature, how frequently it's opened, etc.

Golfcart
Explorer
Explorer
donnieR32 wrote:
Good points. Considering it is summer I guess I'm only using the propane for the fridge while driving (if I'm doing that) and for the water heater. Guess I should be good for a while.

I never found a need to run my water heater during transit. Even when I get to my campsite ill forget and finally turn it on right before shower time lol. Cold water dish washing never really bothered me unless im doing some heavy grease fighting
2009 Sun Valley Road Runner 16ft
2010 Chevy Silverado 1500

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned, frig will use minimal propane. Where you will really use up propane is when you need to use your furnace.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
We dry camp for two weeks straight every August, and the fridge is on LP the entire time. We don't even put a dent in a full propane tank with the fridge. They're extremely efficient on LP. I even use it on gas when I have full hookups, because it maintains its temperature better on LP than on A/C.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
A really big burner for rv fridge is 2200btu/hr.
The duty cycle is roughly 1/3 so roughly 800btu/hr actual burn

1 gallon of propane has roughly 91,000btu

Stove top burners..............5000 to 9000 btu/hr
Water heater...................8000 to 12,000 btu/hr
Furnace........................12,000 to 40,000 btu/hr
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not much.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
The fridge flame is not much more than a large pilot light flame. The propane usage is further extended by the fridge duty cycle, only igniting the flame as needed to keep the fridge cold.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

donnieR32
Explorer
Explorer
Good points. Considering it is summer I guess I'm only using the propane for the fridge while driving (if I'm doing that) and for the water heater. Guess I should be good for a while.

Corky12
Explorer
Explorer
We fill 2 20 lb tanks at the beginning of the season and dry camp probably 24 nights. Have never refilled or run out. We only use the furnace occasionally to take early morning chill off. I use the range/oven every day and we use the water heater. We typically run with the refrigerator on. So much depends on outside temp, shade available etc.