cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is this too much to pay?

Dtbow22
Explorer
Explorer
In process of buying a 2014 sun seeker 3170DS. Would like thoughts about the deal we got. $76,473.00 with the following:
Ford E450
full Boy paint Latte
Cherry cabinets & pumice fabric
Heated, remote mirrors
Backup & side cameras with monitor
GPS navigation with IPOD dock
5.1 surround sound
Black tank flush
Fantastic fan..living room
32" outside tv with dvd & radio
Fiberglass front cap
Bigfoot automatic leveling jacks
Upgraded Serra mattress
24" bedroom tv
32" side tv
19" tv bunks
Safe & sound package
Your comments/thoughts would be most appreciated.
18 REPLIES 18

Dtbow22
Explorer
Explorer
Yes..payments start at pick up.

Dtbow22
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input...should have said earlier..we have camped for years and love it but this will be our 1st motorhome. We have signed the purchase agreement ...got everything above and added leather to the driver and passenger seats and upgraded the refrigerator door to match the cabinets...both for no additional charge. BTW...couldn't hold off on the order if we wanted the Hershey deal and it will take so long to complete because of the full body paint. So, even though in the middle of winter, we will likely follow the suggestion to get it home to keep an eye on it.

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your not picking it up till spring I'd go for a later build date why let it sit out in the cold and snow at the dealers lot Till spring. Or bring it home and let it sit out at your place then you could at least keep and eye on it if leak was found you could have it fixed rather then leak till you picked it up and then found it. When do your payments start in Jan. or when you pick it up in spring.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
Andymon wrote:
Well, it obvious that the economy hasn't hurt some people. We paid cash for our TT and cash for the TV. We are basically out of debt and that affords us a lot of opportunities to have more fun. There's nothing wron with used as long as you take the time to shop around and not feel the need to "have it now".
(Sorry this is a bit off topic) I paid cash for my Class B because on the few month's not in use, I do not feel guilty. I would if a monthly payment would be required.
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Dtbow22 wrote:
....This is our 1st RV....

Buy used and buy cheap until you know if the lifestyle is for you.

Dtbow22 wrote:
...we are looking to buy now to get the unit substantially paid down prior to our retirement in 4 yrs....

You could save for four years and pay cash for a 2018 when you retire.

I have no idea about the value of what you are buying but do know it will be a very expensive life lesson if you decide RVing isn't for you.

Dtbow22 wrote:
...we definitely splurged on because we plan to have this unit for the long haul. However if we need or want to sell or trade down the road, we feel we would get better resale/trade value.

Nonsense. The more you pay = the more depreciation you have. Many if not most RVs are only used occasionally and they all depreciate rapidly. Most RV owners could actually save money by staying at five star resorts instead of owning an RV. Start small and cheap.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

rhartman911
Explorer
Explorer
Dtbow22 wrote:
I've been reading many of the posts and noticed many folks posting here have a good deal of experience and have been RVing for years and in many instances have owned several units. This is our 1st RV and we are looking to buy now to get the unit substantially paid down prior to our retirement in 4 yrs. So because we have time....yes possibly would cancel based on opinions here.

Being a first timer I would buy a used trailer then you can see what you like and dislike maybe rent one for the weekend.I have bought a used Travel Trailer and didn't like it so I have switch to a used 5th wheel and so far I like it but there are a few things I would look for in my next 5th wheel.Spending $76,000 and finding out theres things you don't like I would much rather spend a lot less to find out
I am noway an expert I am on my second used trailer and if I was to go out and spend thousands I would feel comfortable about what to buy. My wife and I just went to the Cal expo Rv show and most of the trailers where over 35' which is nice but keep in mind most parks only allow 30' or less the sales people don't tell you that. My wife and I will end up retiring and living/traveling in one

falconman
Explorer
Explorer
I'd think twice about the built-in GPS. I don't know who makes that one or if its any good but if you don't like it, your stuck with it. As it gets older will you be able to update the maps and at what cost? its nice to have them in the dash but there may be some drawbacks.

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
One more thing to ask to be added to the fantastic fan: make sure they put a cover on it so you can keep it open even in the rain. And even while driving if you want to get air moving through the rig.

Or just buy the cover and put it on yourself:

Fantastic Fan Cover at Amazon

If you add a fantastic fan and cover in the bedroom then you can easily remove warm air from the bedroom.

Ed

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't bought a Class C yet (in 5 more years maybe), but I walked through about 50 of them at the Hershey RV show on Saturday and looked at all the show prices posted on them.

I just looked at the floor plan for your unit. DW and I liked a very similar floor plan to yours except we don't need the bunks - kids are grown and only 2 or 3 of them sleep with us at a time.

It looks like you are getting a fair deal based on looking at the RV Trader link someone posted. Plus based on my recollection of large Class C prices (especially with 2 slides) I think you are getting a good deal.

You can always ask them to throw in slide toppers as they keep leaves and twigs off slide tops making it easier to close them up.

And you might also want them to put in one or two fantastic fans (roof vents) with covers so you can leave them open in the rain. One in the living area and one in the bedroom. They move lots of air in through a cracked open window and create a nice breeze.

EDIT: I see you already have one fantastic fan listed already. adding a second one in the bedroom would be nice.

Ed

Dtbow22
Explorer
Explorer
@ Andyman...looked at used from dealers and private....the bottom lines were only about 10,000 less and they were mostly base models ...none with full body paint. This is something we definitely splurged on because we plan to have this unit for the long haul....however if we need or want to sell or trade down the road, we feel we would get better resale/trade value.

Dtbow22
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks a bunch. Based on your response, I realize that I didn't state that this will be a build order. It won't get to the dealer until Jan. at which time they will store until we pick it up in the Spring..no additional charge.

Andymon
Explorer
Explorer
Well, it obvious that the economy hasn't hurt some people. We paid cash for our TT and cash for the TV. We are basically out of debt and that affords us a lot of opportunities to have more fun. There's nothing wron with used as long as you take the time to shop around and not feel the need to "have it now".
2008 Springdale 266RLS
1999 F250 7.3
Medford, Oregon

mguay
Explorer
Explorer
Thats_Ok wrote:
Dealer and price listings

The highest MSRP is listed at 99K without paint. Add 10k for paint. The average RV deal is done for about 70% of MSRP. 70% of 110K is $77,000. Sounds like an ok deal to me. Although I would still try to beat them up some more! It's Fall and they don't want to store and pay Floor Plan through the Winter. I would shoot for the $72 range and see what happens.
2007 Volvo VNL 780 D12/Ultra Shift Singled
2017 Smart Fortwo Prime Cabrio
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3715FB

Dtbow22
Explorer
Explorer
I've been reading many of the posts and noticed many folks posting here have a good deal of experience and have been RVing for years and in many instances have owned several units. This is our 1st RV and we are looking to buy now to get the unit substantially paid down prior to our retirement in 4 yrs. So because we have time....yes possibly would cancel based on opinions here.