Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leveling a trailer with tandem Torsion Axles

cj_rezz
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

I have a question that I can't find an answer to that I was hoping you all could help me out with.

I just bought a used Jayco 23B trailer. My driveway is sloped at about a 4 degree angle which results in my trailer tongue jack having to be fully extended plus sitting on an additional 17" block.

The only way to fit a 17" block under the tongue is to lower the tongue jack all the way, place a jack stand under the tongue, retract the tongue jack completely and then place the 17" block under. Is this acceptable? Is there an easier way?

This results in the rear axle being fully compressed and the front one drooping completely although still touching the ground.

Is this okay? Can one axle support the majority of the weight long term?

When not using the trailer, is it better for the trailer to be parallel to the slope of the driveway instead of level?

On a similar note, when leveling the trailer side to side at a camp site, can I elevate just one wheel of one side of the trailer or do I have to raise both wheels of one side to level the trailer side to side?
2010 Nissan Armada Platinum -Bilstein (24-197649) 46mm Shocks, Moog 81085 Rear Coils, R1 Concepts Rotors, Prodigy P3, Nokian Rotiva AT Plus LT275/60R20, Husky Center Line TS 32217 WD Hitch w/ Integrated Sway Control
2006 Jayco Jay Feather EXP 23B
15 REPLIES 15

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Can't say for sure, but I can't imagine that much weight placed on one torsion axil for any length of time is good for it.

When I owned a trailer with tandem torsion axils, I always ran both wheels up on blocks to level the trailer side to side.

A side note. I prefer torsion axil suspensions. I wish I had them on my new TT.