Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neighbors Dad learning the hard way

path1
Explorer
Explorer
New trailer in July this year.

First trip out---Clips big iron pipe barrier thing at gas station. Big gouge about 1/2 the length on left side.

Second trip out---(after getting back from shop). Forgets about water regulator at campground. Wakes up to water flooding inside. Gets it back home, backs into his own house putting trailer away.

He's was over at his sons house (my neighbor). Says he is going back to tent.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
33 REPLIES 33

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does anyone read the entire post? The guy had 2 accidents (driving his RV) and one with a regulator that I don't even consider an issue other than cleaning up and fixing a water leak!

And yes I've had a few issues with my trailer, but never 2 avoidable accidents so close together! Or any accidents for that matter!

You don't have to face this way, I'll just let everyone slide 1 time!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm glad I've never made a mistake... or at least admitted to it 🙂

On a serious side, thanks to a very very good and patient friend, so far the mistakes are all small.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Twice a day all RVers should face Bartlet, IL, and offer up a plea for forgivness.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Boy If 2 strikes you are out with a dent on an RV and no water regulator in line is your baseline for whether a person should be allowed to have/tow/drive an RV.... Then 98% of us RV'ers should not be on the road.

So true. If we applied the same logic to driving cars, how many of us would lose our licenses? We all had to learn the hard way when we first learned how to drive as we ALL did when we started RVing. I'm glad Dodge Guy has never made a mistake when learning but the rest of us are human and need to learn. As we age learning gets a little more difficult but not impossible. Stop making fun of the guy-I'm a little disheartened that a lot of you chose to ridicule rather than offer support. Guess y'all that do never make mistakes.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
path1 wrote:
New trailer in July this year.

First trip out---Clips big iron pipe barrier thing at gas station. Big gouge about 1/2 the length on left side.

Second trip out---(after getting back from shop). Forgets about water regulator at campground. Wakes up to water flooding inside. Gets it back home, backs into his own house putting trailer away.

He's was over at his sons house (my neighbor). Says he is going back to tent.

this guy sounds like he just drives till he hears a noise. not the safest way!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
..... What I said was that

after the second accident

, in such a short amount of time,

would indicate he is not cut out for driving double the weight and length of his truck!

Like I said, maybe the 3rd "accident" will be a person standing on a curb when he cuts it to close to turn!!!!

At some point you gotta be told enough is enough, especially when you can't read the writing on the wall! Sorry to be so blunt, but it's obvious this type of thing isn't cut out for the guy!

Oh my!

Not putting a water regulator on the end of an RV water hose relates to safe driving on the road how? :H

Boy If 2 strikes you are out with a dent on an RV and no water regulator in line is your baseline for whether a person should be allowed to have/tow/drive an RV.... Then 98% of us RV'ers should not be on the road. :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
smkettner wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
smkettner wrote:
Damage is done. I would tell him to give up on perfection and go have some fun. Every dent is a great story to tell in a few years. Keep the RV and go easy on yourself.
Sure! even if one of those dents is from someone standing in the gas station walking back to their car!
First dent and he should lose his license? Most of us would be walking!

Not everyone comes from a long line of RVing. Maybe he could use a spotter or more help from those he is taking along. Just giving up is un-American and I prefer to give the guy a break.

Camp on!

Nope! Never said anything about losing a license! What I said was that after the second accident, in such a short amount of time, would indicate he is not cut out for driving double the weight and length of his truck! Like I said, maybe the 3rd "accident" will be a person standing on a curb when he cuts it to close to turn!!!!

At some point you gotta be told enough is enough, especially when you can't read the writing on the wall!
Sorry to be so blunt, but it's obvious this type of thing isn't cut out for the guy!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
He has almost no common sense for mechanical type activities. Great on computers but not the handiest at everyday tasks.

Haha.. that's me. I can't cut wood straight, but I'm really good with a computer. I'm really good at backing up without a spotter, though. 🙂

The thing that saves me is that I'm very OCD on my hobbies, while not as much on my everyday tasks. The only thing I've ever done that damaged my trailer was let the ladder hit a low-hanging branch, which ripped the top part off, and cracked the air conditioner shroud.. Luckily the bottom half of the ladder still works and I can get on the roof.

I have had a couple of other incidents that could have been really bad, but either was averted, or caused no injury or damage.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
My BIL would do all that. He has almost no common sense for mechanical type activities. Great on computers but not the handiest at everyday tasks. I've known him for 35+ years and he's always been that way. I have a friend with a son that hates towing his trailer. Loves camping but not the towing part.
Be interesting to see if the Dad is old, stubborn, or just careless.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've personally seen the results of two separate rv accidents. Interesting thing, in both cases, the driver had a spotter that was saying all ok, keep coming. One was not having shop door high enough to pull trailer out. Grandpa asks granddaughter to watch the side of the trailer, which she did very well. She had no idea that he did not open the door all the way when he backed his truck into shop to retrieve trailer. Bowed the bottom section of door out, had to be replaced. Second was small motorhome backing up next to power pole. Younger brother was driving, older brother spotting. Come on back, ya, keep coming, then crunch as a tree branch (4" diameter or so) punched a hole on back corner of MH. He pulled forward and never said a word. Older brother was, hey why did you back into that tree?

Point being, not all problems are the drivers fault, some have helpers.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
dodge guy wrote:
smkettner wrote:
Damage is done. I would tell him to give up on perfection and go have some fun. Every dent is a great story to tell in a few years. Keep the RV and go easy on yourself.
Sure! even if one of those dents is from someone standing in the gas station walking back to their car!
First dent and he should lose his license? Most of us would be walking!

Not everyone comes from a long line of RVing. Maybe he could use a spotter or more help from those he is taking along. Just giving up is un-American and I prefer to give the guy a break.

Camp on!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
smkettner wrote:

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hopefully Dad is fine and just a bad driver. A girl I work with is a HORRIBLE driver and we always give her **** for it. If Dad is okay, its fine to poke some friendly fun.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad