cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Guy Here

CaptTyler
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. I have been wanting to get into RVing for a long time and have finally gotten the green light. I have a fairly big family, 3 little kids, a wife, and my mother-in-law. I can't squeeze them all in a truck, so I will be using a big SUV to pull a travel trailer. We have been looking at quad bunkhouse trailers in the 30 foot range. But that will come later. My issue right now is finding the ideal tow vehicle. Since I will have 3 adults and 3 small now but growing kids, I feel my only real options are to get a used 3/4 ton Yukon/Suburban, or an Excursion, although I have slightly considered a Nissan NV 3500, but I need 4x4. This vehicle will be mainly used for towing so I will be able to set it up with that in mind. I going to give myself about a month or so to find the right vehicle, then a few months to get it set up. I'm hoping to get the trailer next winter. I'm very comfortable pulling trailers, but have never towed a travel trailer, so I hope to get some good tips here and elsewhere. If anyone can give me some advice on my tow vehicle, I'm all ears. Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13

Heavy_Metal_Doc
Explorer
Explorer
In my mind, 4x4 and towing are 2 different vehicles. Would 4x4 be nice at times? Sure. But when your towing a large TT, you probably don't want to get into spots where 4x4 would even come into question. Ive gotten stuck with my 2WD on simple wet grass, but never when the TT is hooked to it. We have a Nissan NV 3500 and we love it - we occasionally pack 6 adults and the dog in there a and go. We actually considered a 4x4 conversion since Quigley is not far from home, but if it where 4x4 it would get used for snow duty and that's not what we bough it for.

CaptTyler
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
Maybe womemn and kids could tag along in a 2nd vehicle ( one you already have) which will give you more weight allowance for the towing.
It would be peaceful, that's for sure.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe womemn and kids could tag along in a 2nd vehicle ( one you already have) which will give you more weight allowance for the towing.

CaptTyler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm starting to shift my views to the Chevy/GMC 3500 van with the Duramax Diesel. Like I said though, I'm early and in no hurry. Need to do my homework.

CaptTyler
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
a class A motor home or a second vehicle to carry the mother in law
LOL. I actually like my mother in law.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome to the forum!

I would suggest that you make a list of possible tow vehicles with their towing capacity and payload. Along with that, research possible rv units with their weights. Make sure you understand the importance of payload i.e. 5 additional passengers in tow vehicle plus any gear must be reduced from the payload rating. I think you are going to want to pick out a tow vehicle with the highest tow/payload rating and then determine what trailer will work for you. My personal preference is to avoid being too close to the maximum towing capacity i.e. stay around 80% of maximum capacity...but that's just my opinion.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Pick out a couple options for RVs before buying the tow vehicle. Then you'll best know the weight numbers and towing capacity. It would be a shame to buy a SUV and not be able to find a suitable RV for the whole gang and pull it safely. Good luck!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
a class A motor home or a second vehicle to carry the mother in law

CaptTyler
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Disclaimer: I don't know the specifics of your situation, so perhaps this is laughable advice. If so, feel free to disregard it.

I would suggest thinking very carefully about whether you really need 4x4 or not. The NV3500 or another full-sized van would be, in my opinion, a much more satisfactory vehicle for you than a full-sized SUV. Most SUVs are a lot more limited by their GVWR than vans, and so it would be hard to carry the people and stuff you need in the SUV at the same time as towing a decent sized travel trailer.

For winter use, I can't think of too many situations where a van plus good snow tires would be inadequate, at least too many that I would in any way care to be driving in. I've personally seen vans go up some pretty steep and slick hills.
No, I don't really need 4x4. I will keep this in mind. Thanks.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Disclaimer: I don't know the specifics of your situation, so perhaps this is laughable advice. If so, feel free to disregard it.

I would suggest thinking very carefully about whether you really need 4x4 or not. The NV3500 or another full-sized van would be, in my opinion, a much more satisfactory vehicle for you than a full-sized SUV. Most SUVs are a lot more limited by their GVWR than vans, and so it would be hard to carry the people and stuff you need in the SUV at the same time as towing a decent sized travel trailer.

For winter use, I can't think of too many situations where a van plus good snow tires would be inadequate, at least too many that I would in any way care to be driving in. I've personally seen vans go up some pretty steep and slick hills.

CaptTyler
Explorer
Explorer
Artum Snowbird wrote:
When you look at the carrying capacity of the SUV you choose, you will have to pick the very largest one. All the passengers weight and their carseats, toys, purses, and anything you put into the truck takes away from the load carrying capacity of the vehicle. The weight distributing hitch also is part of it. You are going to be close to the red light, and it will be a long learning experience to make it work for you and your big family.
Yeah, I don't want to rush it and get an incorrect set up. What do most people do that have big families?

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
When you look at the carrying capacity of the SUV you choose, you will have to pick the very largest one. All the passengers weight and their carseats, toys, purses, and anything you put into the truck takes away from the load carrying capacity of the vehicle. The weight distributing hitch also is part of it. You are going to be close to the red light, and it will be a long learning experience to make it work for you and your big family.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Welcome to the scrum, Cap'n!

I can't give you any help on this'n, but folks will be along in due course who can. Best of luck, and Happy Camping!