cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbies! Sometimes you've just gotta laugh!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
OK, my wife has a friend (former work colleague) that is several states away. He put a post on Facebook just the other day that made us laugh so much, we though we'd wet our pants.

He's never owned and never used any type of RV before, and I don't think he's ever's slept anywhere except in his own bed or a motel room all his life. He has no concept of what "camping" is all about.

So, he put this post on Facebook that he wants to take a vacation and "rent a drivable camper."

Well... we laughed so hard on that one we almost died!

My wife did tell him "gently" on Facebook that a "drivable camper" is called a motor home and fall into 3 categories, Class A, B, C, with a very quick description of what each one was.

We were on our way home from a great week-end camping ourselves when his name came up in conversation. And once again, we both laughed at that comment.

It is a reminder that there are some people out there who are absolutely, completely, wholeheartedly clueless about camping and RV usage or ownership!

Just thought I share this "funny one" with everyone!
41 REPLIES 41

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do RV inspections and I also work at an RV parts store, and I am constantly amazed at how much people don't know about their rigs. Part of my inspection business is getting a call from someone who bought a camper and realized that they have no idea how to use it. I spend the good part of the day with them going over RV systems and waste tank management.

I save my biggest eye rolls for the people who say they are buying a new unit from the local CW and are heading for Yellowstone the following week. They get a very puzzled look when I say "No, you're not".
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
It is a reminder that there are some people out there who are absolutely, completely, wholeheartedly clueless about camping and RV usage or ownership!

Wow. How quickly we forget. Driveable camper to me means he doesn't want a tow-behind of any sort, not that he's clueless. He's just uneducated. All newbies are pretty much clueless. If you grew up RVing and then bought one of your own you are not a newbie.

When I booked our very first trip via plane I knew nothing. I called a travel agent who put us on a connecting flight from Boston to Orlando. Today I do it all myself because I have the experience to do so and if I knew then what I know now I never would have taken a connecting flight for such a short distance. Instead of laughing at the guy offer some assistance so he doesn't make the same mistakes you probably did.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Consider upgrading to a CD toilet. They're on sale now as the MP3 versions are coming out soon.
Puma 30RKSS

memtb
Explorer
Explorer

Humorous and accurate post, with one possible word in your post.....”some”! Perhaps should be “many”! We all had a learning curve, but many long time rv’ers.....”missed the curve”! ??
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
enlightenment comes when we educate a caller when asked what type RV? she says an RV. We ask again MH or trailer? she says MH. We explain, educate all types are rvs, bursting her bubble, so now she is no better than those in any other.
Class type is measured in feet or design, it is defined by character of the user.

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
When I was traveling on the east coast, they called every RV a camper. I would cringe when they called my 36 foot Class A motorhome a camper. To me, only something you carry on the back of a pickup truck is a camper.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:

I prefer to keep it that way! RVing has become very popular again, driving up prices and limiting accessibility. The less people know about how great it is, the better!

KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!! Respectfully, of course!:B
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I know people who refer to Travel Trailers as motorhomes.
Others call motorhomes, campers.
I don't bother trying to enlighten them.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:

We were all newbies at one time or another. I remember years ago not understanding at all how a cassette toilet worked, now when I look back it seems so silly. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Just as some people have no clue about, some RVers have no clue about full timing.

We camp 45 to 60 days a year, usually in dry campsites. We LIVE in our home the rest of the year, which also happens to be our camping trailer. In the last four and a half years that rig has been almost 42,000 miles and we have been overnight in 46 states.

We see something at almost every stop, but we don’t have enough money to do something every day. We also have to do cleaning, laundry, maintenance, repairs and improvements on the road. Along with pay bills visit doctors, see sick relatives, catch up with friends, etc.

All the things you do at home we do while ‘camping’.

We love the lifestyle. There are some definite benefits. It is 108 right now in Dallas where our last home was located, my son and two adult grandchildren live there. It is 63 right now at our trailer located outside Port Huron, MI.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I guess sometimes we just have to accept that some people really don't know about "camping" and know even less about "glamping" that many of us enjoy. For many, it just seems impossible to spend a few thousand dollars for a week of living in a tiny bit of luxury, but there is ways to soften the blow.

A lot of the enjoyment of camping for me is the constant fixing, repairing, rebuilding that has gone on over the many years of camping. Our first truck camper was only $1200, and I worked my magic into it to her delight. Likely many of our best times were in that old rig. Once we started moving up in value, problems were just more difficult, and more costly. Fortunately, cost wasn't a break point and we managed to move onward and upward.

Certainly, when you own something that isn't worth a bundle, you can enjoy a wide range of camp spots many won't go to. It's about the places you camp, and the people you meet, not about what you have in your rig.

We enjoyed a VW van early in life, tent trailers, even a mattress in the back of a pick up truck canopy. Now, if we have to go down a dirt road we both wonder why, it's a lot of cleaning afterward. Maybe we are missing the point.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We had some friends from church, whom upon hearing several of us discuss an upcoming camping trip, commented "I don't see how your enjoy all that stuff. I like my creature comforts."

I commented to her that we had a king size memory foam bed, a 5' wide shower with hot/cold running water, a toilet that belongs to me, an LG residential refrigerator, a microwave, stove/oven and a sink in an island, a couch and two heated recliners with massage, a satellite dish and 5 TVs along with air conditioning. I also have an outdoor kitchen with a grill.

She said she just didn't think that kind of life was her, she just loved being at home. (Just a side note - she lives in a mobile home that is about the same size as our fifth wheel.)

Some people just don't get it.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW