cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No Propane at CW while raining (thunder/lightning)

gjcummings
Explorer
Explorer
Pulled into CW Tallahassee today. Slight sprinkle with heavy showers all around. Found out policy of No Propane in such conditions....Darn ๐Ÿ˜ž And Tuesday is discount day and would have been $3.07/gal...Same policy with Flying J down the road but at $3.39/gal. Learning something every day......
12 REPLIES 12

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I've gotten propane several times while it was raining. Not sprinkling. Raining. But there was no thunder or lightning.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
DUHHH!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
Not all propane tanks are removable filled on a scale, heck my new 5th wheel the 30lbs are filled by gallon, not weight.

But motohomrs (class C or class A) like my old Monaco has a permanently mounted tank, it is filled by the gallon and there was no way to park the coach away from the fill station. If you did that the fill station would need one heck of a hose.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
....Also need to ensure that the fridge is off when filling the propane tanks
Why would your fridge be in proximity to a propane tank sitting on a scale being refilled? :h

Don't many motorhomes have permanently mounted tanks?
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
....Also need to ensure that the fridge is off when filling the propane tanks
Why would your fridge be in proximity to a propane tank sitting on a scale being refilled? :h
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

legolas
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
Interesting- it makes sense, but I wouldn't have thought of it ahead of time. Thanks for posting.
I'm amazed that anyone is amazed....Also need to ensure that the fridge is off when filling the propane tanks. No wonder so many folks blow themselves and others up. Same attitude causes the "intelligent" folks to pull up to the pumps to fuel up while the fridge is running on propane.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting- it makes sense, but I wouldn't have thought of it ahead of time. Thanks for posting.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You should have ask them for.. In this case a quite literal, RAIN CHECK on the Tuesday price.

Frankly I'd not wish to be playing with Propane in a lightning storm.. After all, on the pump jockey certification test there is a question about what happens when you mix propane and air in the proper ratio and add a spark. Lightening is .. One heck of a spark.

They were reviewing the test (Having already taken it) at the campground where I was in the same room using the Wi-Fi.. When they got to that one before the instructor could read the correct answer I chimed in "You land 2 counties over".. After the laughter died he informed the class that I was quite correct, there would be an explosion.. He liked my response.

By the way.. listening to them I learned a few things I hope never to need to know.. (Like how to damage a propane cylinder by using it for something quite illegal, and how to recognize said damage). (No I will not illuminate)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
SOP at the hardware store where we get tanks filled.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Better safe than ... KA-BOOOM !
๐Ÿ™‚
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't know this. Thanks for the info as it might save me a trip in the future.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
You will find that the Lightning Alert ban is very common, in fact the Propane distributor group recommends that propane not be filled during a Lightning Alert.
Due to a work requirement, I used to get automated phone-calls and e-mail every time a Lightning Alert was issued.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.