cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propane Certification in Ontario?

Mortex
Explorer
Explorer
First off I've been reading the forums since fall and have learned a ton. I purchased a 1998 Class C MH late last fall and only had it out once before i needed to store it for winter. I've used it a few times this spring which has brought up my need for refilling the LPG tank for the first time.

I went to a propane place to get it filled and was informed I needed a sticker or documentation stating that my tank was safe to fill due to it's age. I didn't get anything from the previous owner so I'm assuming I need to do this. I called the only local place that says they do it and was told I need an appliance inspection sticker before I can get my tank checked due to new regulations that just started.

Has anyone else ever had to deal with this? Does all this need to be done? From a safety standpoint I get it should be done but the place for the appliance inspection alone says it will be at least 2 weeks before I can get it in even though the inspection should only take about an hour.

I had planned to use it as many weekends as i could before the summer as I'm planning a month long vacation in it. Trying to learn everything I can about it before I take it. Maybe I'm just ranting because now i have very little LPG and can't refill for weeks.

Just wondered if anyone else has run into this issue?
14 REPLIES 14

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I spoke with a technician with Superior Propane who happened to be at our airport yesterday. He told me that all of this new enforcement is as a result of the explosion at Sunrise Propane in Toronto a few years back.

He also told me that, although he didn't know if it was Gov. or his company requirement, but that they were being told to strictly enforce ALL propane regulations now.

If for instance the approval sticker by the door is missing or illegible they will require a re inspection and new certification label before they will refill the on board propane tank regardless of when the tank itself was last certified.

So a word to the wise, if you don't have a clearly legible CSA-240 approval sticker on your motorhome you may well find yourself being refused propane in the near future.

Mortex
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input everyone. It is a mounted tank. I called the local superior propane and they told me it's a new regulation that came down this year. They said I may find people who don't enforce it yet but by the end of summer they expect that it will be strictly enforced after a few fines are handed out. He said to do the inspections and get it over with. I asked about what about people trying to fill up from outside Ontario? He said he has no answer for what will happen in that case. So anyone visiting should come with full propane or face the unknown.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
We Cant Wait wrote:
In the US you might run into an issue with the tank if it's over 10 years old. It'll need recertified in the US too. The way around that is take it to a propane tank exchange site i.e. Home Depot for example and just exchange it for a full one. It'll cost a couple $ more but then you'll have a tank that's new enough to not require recertification.

Did you miss the point that he is talking about the frame mounted tank in a Class C motorhome? There is NO exchange for such frame mounted TANKS!
The age of such TANKS is not an issue in the U.S.
However, Portable CYLINDERS (less than 100 lb. capacity) must be recertified at 12 years of age, and every 5 years thereafter
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Try this placeCamcarb Toronto Ontario.
Scroll down to the 2nd paragraph that starts Propane tanks.
They do not have to be recertified etc, in Ontario, but just a visual inspection, ie not rusted through big dents etc.
They follow different rules if than ones used for vehicle fuel supply

'Propane tanks that are permanently mounted to structures or vehicles do not have to be recertified, but they must be visually inspected every time they are filled to ensure that they are acceptable for use. Automotive tanks used for motor fuel must be inspected and recertified every 5 years at a government approved facility'

Tell your retailer to check the rules, emphasize that it is not a motor vehicle engine fuel supply.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Mortex,
You could try Superior Propane or UPI, both are on HWY 24 in Guelph. They both supply the big residential tanks and both used to have service guys as well. Worth a phone call and then a quick trip over to Guelph if they can do both certifications at the same time. Superior used to do propane vehicle conversions, not sure if they still do.
Ever since the Sunrise Propane explosion, TSSA ( propane regulation authority here in Ontario ) has been cracking down on all fuel gas regulations and this may be the latest thing they are going after.
Brian
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
In the US you might run into an issue with the tank if it's over 10 years old. It'll need recertified in the US too. The way around that is take it to a propane tank exchange site i.e. Home Depot for example and just exchange it for a full one. It'll cost a couple $ more but then you'll have a tank that's new enough to not require recertification.

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
bcbouy wrote:
here we just exchange our out dated/expired tanks for a new full one for around $25 at almost any gas station.i think they're good for 5 years.
The ones mounted on a Class C?Your bbq tank yes.

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
here we just exchange our out dated/expired tanks for a new full one for around $25 at almost any gas station.i think they're good for 5 years.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

busguy22
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
No certification needed on 'propane tanks' (such as ones mounted in motorhomes) in USA.

This is generally the same in Canada but could vary by Province . . .

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Only the portable propane cylinders required certification 12 yrs. after mfg. date.

In Canada it's every 10 years . . .
2011 Jayco Greyhawk 31 DS

dks
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem last year in Ontario where the attendant said my sticker needed renewal. Another person at the pump did fill up after realizing that the propane tank was for the RV and not as fuel for the vehicle (Roadtrek). I had just had a propane test done and showed him the sticker, but, he was looking at the green propane sticker on my windshield. Some websites on propane tank certification say tanks do not need to be recertified. Do as others have suggested and fill up the tanks at dealers that will.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
No certification needed on 'propane tanks' (such as ones mounted in motorhomes) in USA.

Only the portable propane cylinders required certification 12 yrs. after mfg. date.

A little side trip across the border and you should have no issues filling your tank up.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Mortex
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the ideas. I was just thinking maybe I could run it over the border and refill it.

busguy22
Explorer
Explorer
Go to a different propane place (maybe an RVpark) and you're pretty likely not to find someone who questions the age of the unit before filling it (especially a tank under an RV). The info the propane guy gave you is accurate and you should do it as soon as you are able but I'd wager that if you continued to fill it at various rv parks along your travels this summer you might not find anyone who tells you they can't fill it without a re-cert decal because of it's age.
2011 Jayco Greyhawk 31 DS

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Can you run it into the US and get it filled without all that Canadian red tape?
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE