cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about RVing

Mailmom
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I are considering RVing in the near future. We love to travel, but while working RVing has not been possible. There is so much of America we want to explore and think this would be a great way to go. We have always owned a truck and trailer for many week and weekend camping trips and a few long trips over the years. Now we would like to venture on longer trips, staying in areas along the way for several days and maybe even weeks.
Some of my questions to you experienced RVrs - Am I dreaming to think I can travel up the California coast staying in RV parks or national parks and seeing the sights? Will it be extremely cost prohibitive in camparison to taking a 2-3 week road trip in a car, staying in motels?
I can truly see us taking a 3-4 month RV trip to the east coast, parking the trailer and exploring an area for a week at a time. Am I missing an important detail here?
Thank you for your advice.
30 REPLIES 30

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Your biggest expenses on a trip like that will be fuel and site fees. If you stay in an RV park for a week you'll get a slight break from the daily rate, but not much. You might want to consider Passport America for 1 or 2 night stays at participating parks. You could also consider boondocking along the way to conserve $$. If you have the luxury of doing a lot of research, many county and city parks can be great deals. If you're old enough you could also check out the 'geezer pass' for federal camping.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch