cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rv bootcamps?

Chowan
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you went to a rv bootcamp for education? Was it worth the money or if one reads and studies the blogs and forums and you tube, can the education be just as good?
35 REPLIES 35

Chowan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of your replies. Good info. I have been pulling trailers of various sizes for 35 years. I am confident I can drive and pull. My question was more about learning all the systems.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I grew up on a farm, driving tractors and work trucks and towing all sorts of stuff between work sites. Later, as a landscaper, I maneuvered a utility trailer all over Seattle. Towing my travel trailer was just a matter of getting used to it's turn radius.

My short answer is, no, I've never taken an RV class.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
My parents were RVers. My folks bought a TT and traveled the country after my Dad retired. That sounded like a lot more fun to me than traveling around the country for the company I worked for, traveling in planes and rental cars and staying in motels where you had to keep your socks on to avoid sticking to the filthy carpet. And by golly, it was and still is.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I went to the School of Hard Knocks......;-)
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
DutchmenSport wrote:
My "Boot Camp" was on an old Alice Chalmers tractor towing hay wagons and dragging a single bottom plow when I was a kid. It look almost identical to this. I have a couple old photos of riding with dad on that thing when I wasn't even old enough to walk yet! Later, I drove it myself.

I think one of the best ways to learn to tow is to start with a riding lawn mower and a utility wagon attached. From there, move upward in size and scale and you'll learn to tow, back-up, turn, learn how different wheel base lengths affect turning and backing when they are different on tow vehicle and trailer.

Then there is the other side of the home-grown "Boot Camp" ... RV maintenance. With an RV, you put all your own self taught skills to the test. You utilize your intuition, and have to exercise your brain to figure out how to fix or repair something. You do a lot of reading, and you do not acquire this knowledge base over night, or in a text book. You acquire it over time ... actually ... every single time you take your camper on the road, set it up, take it down, do a repair, do a cleaning, you are adding to the home-grown version of "RV Boot Camp".

The best teacher is yourself!

My son taught me there are 2 kids of people in this world. He's a very gifted (intelligent) person. As a kid, he had to play an instrument in Junior High School. He choose the violin. For him, playing the violin was a very mechanical endeavor. He played "by the book". Step 1, Step 2, Step 3. One note at a time, exactly as written down, exactly as told.

I told him on many occasions to throw the music away and simply let your fingers and blow move according to your "heart". FEEL the music in your soul, and let the music come from with-in you! He NEVER got it! He's still mechanical.

The same is absolutely true with RV ownership. There are those who are the Step 1, step 2, step 3 ... mechanical, manual, driven individuals, and then there are the ones who just .... do it by the heart! Doing it by the heart is the best way!

I agree with the idea that there are two kinds of people: people like your son who learns by following an established set of rules; and people like you who just go on intuition/heart/etc.

I don't think either is right or wrong (or better or best) because I don't believe you can change how you learn. It depends on the person.

I like to follow steps for the most part. I read the instruction sheet while putting together furniture, etc. I am willing to do most things on my own, but I often like to have someone "waiting on hold" in case I need help. I've done that several times with the RV and household repairs - call a friend/relative with the knowledge and just say "hey, are you going to be around for a couple hours? I'm going to install X and if I get stuck, would you be able to come help me?" Only once did I have to have them come out - and it was a situation where someone who "do it by the heart" was able to solve the issue because it needed an "outside of the box" solution. I will say that by watching people who can just figure it out as they go, I have learned a lot of how to create a solution outside the box - but it took watching others and learning WHY what they did worked (meaning, I had to put the logic/pattern/process into their creative thinking solution).

To the OP - if you are worried about doing something wrong and making a mistake that you won't be able to fix, then go to a bootcamp (or ask an RVer friend or neighbor) to walk you through it. If you are not worried about making mistakes along the way, then learn as you go.

When I started, I did ask a relative to show me how to dump the black tank. For me, that was something that while I had read and watched videos, I just didn't really want to deal with a potential mistake because I missed/forgot something. He showed me once and that was all I needed - just didn't feel confident that first time in regards to the potential mess.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
My "Boot Camp" was on an old Alice Chalmers tractor towing hay wagons and dragging a single bottom plow when I was a kid. It look almost identical to this. I have a couple old photos of riding with dad on that thing when I wasn't even old enough to walk yet! Later, I drove it myself.

I think one of the best ways to learn to tow is to start with a riding lawn mower and a utility wagon attached. From there, move upward in size and scale and you'll learn to tow, back-up, turn, learn how different wheel base lengths affect turning and backing when they are different on tow vehicle and trailer.

Then there is the other side of the home-grown "Boot Camp" ... RV maintenance. With an RV, you put all your own self taught skills to the test. You utilize your intuition, and have to exercise your brain to figure out how to fix or repair something. You do a lot of reading, and you do not acquire this knowledge base over night, or in a text book. You acquire it over time ... actually ... every single time you take your camper on the road, set it up, take it down, do a repair, do a cleaning, you are adding to the home-grown version of "RV Boot Camp".

The best teacher is yourself!

My son taught me there are 2 kids of people in this world. He's a very gifted (intelligent) person. As a kid, he had to play an instrument in Junior High School. He choose the violin. For him, playing the violin was a very mechanical endeavor. He played "by the book". Step 1, Step 2, Step 3. One note at a time, exactly as written down, exactly as told.

I told him on many occasions to throw the music away and simply let your fingers and blow move according to your "heart". FEEL the music in your soul, and let the music come from with-in you! He NEVER got it! He's still mechanical.

The same is absolutely true with RV ownership. There are those who are the Step 1, step 2, step 3 ... mechanical, manual, driven individuals, and then there are the ones who just .... do it by the heart! Doing it by the heart is the best way!

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
We, like many, started with a tent.
Learning, being successful and making mistakes is all part of the adventure.
Best advice is to get on down the road.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Hi... Did not do a boot camp. I did read, utube,on job, this Web site and talking to other campers..... happy camping... Jim2007.
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I was zero experience when I bought my RV four years ago. Service tech at the dealership showed me how the hitch worked and a few basics on the RV, and the rest is history.

Lots of campgrounds nearby home, and no expressways. I just learned as I went along, and I'm still learning.

I suppose if I were a first time buyer of a six figure 40+ foot class A or C, I'd want more than half an hour introduction from a service tech.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I think 'rv boot camp' might have been really relevant for zero experience campers/rv'ers prior to the internet days. Today's virgin rv'er has such an enourmous amount of information available with the push of a button.

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

Personally I did not go to a RV boot camp, but that was because they did not offer one 20 years ago. I'm asomimg your talking about the RV boot camp offered by Escapees. I would recommend if you have the time to go. As an Escapees I have talked to a number of folks that have attended it even RVers that have been RVing for awhile and have considered it to be very helpful. Plus you get to enteract with other RVer just like you, that in it's self is a learning experience.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

thestoloffs
Explorer
Explorer
If you're a complete newbie to camping, and don't do a lot of hands-on maintenance on either your vehicle or your home, then by all means go to a boot camp. There's a lot of work involved in owning an expensive investment in your RV, and a few hours spent in classes & a few tools in your tool box will save you in $$ and angst in the future.

You can try any of the FMCA or Good Sam National or regional events. They have a lot of seminars with valuable information for first timers. (We found the 2 FMCA National Conventions -- before we bought -- both informative and lots of fun!)

If you have concerns about your driving ability, then also go get driver training.

Remember, not everyone has had a chance to drive a large vehicle (tractor-trailer, fire apparatus, farm machinery, etc.) before they get involved in RVing -- and the goal is to be sure you can enjoy using your RV.

Chowan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. Driving is not an issue(knock on wood). I have done the majority of my learning in everything I have done. Just wanted to reaffirm what I am thinking of OTJT. Thanks guys and gals

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Is the bootcamp to help drive? How to use all the systems of an RV? Camping etiquette?

Most everything we learned was from experience. If you have common sense and are kinda handy, Load up and go. IMHO

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
My first "RV" was a 1975 VW Westfalia pop-top with various pop-ups, travel trailers, sailboats, powerboats and trawlers following over the next 40 years. Where we felt we needed some support was when we came to the decision about full-timing - and that had more to do with things other than the RV itself. We found the RV-Dreams spring educational rally to be most helpful. We came away from a week of seminars and networking with a fat notebook full of information to go back over and a wealth of knowledge and insight from the people we met and interacted with at the rally. The price was modest and we thought it was well worth it.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015