cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

rv gps

etchison
Explorer
Explorer
is there any one out there that would really recommend buying a gps?
I have researched the net and no one is happy with what they have.
I need a reliable gps for height .
and all the rest.

Please help/
12 REPLIES 12

ol__grouch
Explorer
Explorer
I've got the RV760LMT myself. I also have a Tom Tom that would tell me to turn. No road there, just go through the fence. The Garmin is much better and has dual mode. Automobile and RV. I never use the Tom Tom anymore.
Honk if you love Jesus.
Text if you want to meet him.

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
I'm perfectly happy with my Garmin 7200 with the larger screen BUT it is no longer made.
Maybe the complainers expect perfection and nothing electronic that I can think of is perfect.
But many people think that an atlas or road map is Ok. They can be just as inaccurate and dated as the GPS maps. It is just harder to tell. :B
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
tjfogelberg wrote:
We just bought the Garmin RV GPS. It has a profile that takes into account the RV height, width, and weight. We'll give it a try. Nice big screen and good mounting bracket.
I also have the Garmin RV760LMT and I am happy with it. With that said just remember that they are NOT infallible. BUT I did go in and set the options to avoid dirt roads; fastest route; as well as anything else that I thought would help. There is an option to avoid toll roads that I use when running solo but I generally set back to accept toll roads when towing. That option can route you in some squirrelly routes if you avoid toll roads when towing.

I also supplement the Garmin with my own points of interest (POI) like PPA parks, rest areas, etc. that I get from POIFactory.com. I do look over the route in MS Streets & Trips or Delorme Street Atlas. I don't get all flustered and delve into the route with paper maps, atlas, Google Maps, etc.

I have used a GPS from the days that Delorme had the GPS dongle that used a serial port. I did make the mistake when I first started towing a TT and followed the GPS blindly and it was a lesson learned. The first mistake was thinking that a automobile GPS would work well while towing...NOT. So when the Garmin 465T trucker GPS came out it was a good step up from the Magellan that was replaced.

Lots of people recommend to carry an atlas, paper maps, etc, etc. but if I am going to do all that I am not going to have a GPS. I have learned that if the route doesn't look viable, don't take it. I also pay attention to the road signage as well. As I said the GPS is not infallible and the maps can lag behind the real world. I ignore Gladys if it doesn't feel right. YMMV.
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure where you got your information, but I have a Garmin RV model and I am happy with it. I think everyone will tell you that you cannot totally trust any GPS that you get. You need to check the route yourself to check for clearances. You can do that using a trucker road atlas or the web. I always check my route a number of ways.

Having said that, I would not go on a trip without the Garmin. It is very useful. I like that it tells me ahead of time if there is a curve or if there is a change in the speed limit. Both warnings give me time to slow down, if needed. I really like the large screen on the RV model.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I'm perfectly happy with my Garmin 7200 with the larger screen BUT it is no longer made.
Maybe the complainers expect perfection and nothing electronic that I can think of is perfect.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Stanmawyer wrote:
We use the Rand McNally RV GPS app on our iPad. Works great and has lots of RV special features.

We use Garmin in the cars. Delorme Street Atlas on a notebook in the Phaeton, and the Rand McNally 7720 in the little motorhome. We used the Rand McNally last year on the trip to Alaska. REally do like it a lot. It does take some relearning from the Garmin, but I really like some of the features better. It performed admirably.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased the Rand McNally version at CW. I really disliked it and sold it on another forum for 1/2 price.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Stanmawyer
Explorer
Explorer
We use the Rand McNally RV GPS app on our iPad. Works great and has lots of RV special features.
All the Best,
Captain Stan
2006 American Heritage 600HP

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
We also have a Garmin but we only use it for geocaching.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

aslakson
Explorer
Explorer
The Garmin will be the most customizable - second vote for the Low Clearances data files. I use them on my laptop with Delorme, but they can also be loaded to a Garmin. Can't speak to weights, etc. Just bought a Garmin for the car and am so far impressed with how it works for that. Don't know if I could make it do for the RV though.

al
Fulltiming since Apr 2007 in 2000 Rexhall Aerbus, towing 2012 Honda CRV. 47 of the lower 48 so far.

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought the Garmin RV GPS. It has a profile that takes into account the RV height, width, and weight. We'll give it a try. Nice big screen and good mounting bracket.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
low clearance app.