cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Specific GPS

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Garmin Nuvi-Cam which is great since it records my daily drive, lifetime maps, etc. BUT does not have RV specific maps. I thought it would be cool if Garmin had an option for a software update for RV travels, but sadly, not an option.

So I am looking at RandMcnally RV tablets. What I specifically want is the built in dash cam, and it seems these are the only ones that have it. Has anyone used them, or other brands WITH the dash cam, and how are they?
5 REPLIES 5

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
We use a Garmin 760 and a Polaroid dash cam.I like gadgets like these to be separate as they will become obsolete or break .

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
My current Nuvi-Cam is in my truck, so glare isn't an issues and has recorded a deer hit and a full on frontal impact in my last truck. One of the reasons that I want it to include the dash cam is it records speed and location as well as time. It would be used mostly as the dash cam, and used as nav when I do take trips. Nothing wrong with the current one, but would like the ability to avoid areas that the trailer doesn't belong. This is why the dash cam portion is important to me. It also comes in handy when driving on stretches of memorable road, and to record it for later fun, such as Hog Back, AKA crying whimpering road in Utah. That road scared the **** out of my wife, mom and daughter, so it will always be memorable to re-watch it.

I agree on the updates, they do take a long time with the Garmin. They don't have one like the Nuvi-Cam for RV.

wow, it hides C with a rap!

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Garmin RV 660 GPS.

It allows you to set up and pick the various vehicles such as car or RV. You enter what the specs are for the unit you are towing such as height and length. You can then select car when you are not towing and RV when you are.

It works rather well but tends to want to wander off main roads to back roads. It has lifetime maps but the update process is very painful. I started the update yesterday at 1pm and it finished sometime this morning. Very slow!

Regardless of whatever GPS you choose it is a good idea to try and review your route before hand or you could find yourself in a tight situation.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Garmin has at least one with an RV option; also Auto and Truck. We have the dezl model.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
There's nothing special about the maps. The RV units have databases for clearance, sharp curves, etc, and the software that reads that information. Probably a beefier processor to handle the extra data.

My GPS gets moved throughout the day depending on glare from the sun... if it were trying to record out the windshield I think it would also see a lot of glare being far back from the windshield.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed