cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I be worried about an RV that is too long?

abednego
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I are going to get an RV within a few months. We're going back and forth on the length that would be appropriate. Based on our non-negotiables (king sized bed w/bunkhouse) the models that I like are closer to 40'. I am curious as to what I should expect when towing such a vehicle.

Would a 32' TT be easier to maneuver than a 40' FW? I have no experience towing an RV; furthermore, I'll be buying a truck to tow this. I say this to indicate I do not currently own or drive a truck.

Given my lack of experience, is it a bad idea to get a 40' FW? I live in the Denver area and we're looking at local/CO campsites for fun on weekends and longer trips as vacations up to South Dakota/Utah/Wyoming.

I realize that I'll need to practice driving around locally which is not a problem. I can give the wife a walkie-talkie for guidance. Me personally I'm not worried at all. I'll learn. The wife feels a bit different and doesn't want the RV experience to become cumbersome and not fun for the family. I plan on getting a Ram 3500 Mega-Cab SRW with 4.10 gears.

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-abe
50 REPLIES 50

Kidsgone
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered a Class A at all? With the amount of $$$ you will be investing (?) you can get a Class A with a King and bunks for the same amount of $ that a 40' 5th and a 3500 Truck. I think Forest River Georgetown and Tiffin make such a floor plan.
But, if you are set on your current set up, I will suggest a RV driving/towing school. Our first RV was a 27'Airstream towed with a Surburban...it was overwhelming at first but we have a close friend that is a retired truck driver and a neighbor that tows a huge boat...both of them took us out for extended lessons at an empty Post Office lot on Sundays. Both my hubby and I could put that Airstream exactly where we wanted it, most on the first try. But it took alot of practice! By the time we ventured on our first trip, we were confident in our driving/handling/backing of the trailer...which took alot of stress off our trips. Enjoy your search and safe travels to your family.

nomad_289
Explorer
Explorer
Abnego wrote:
Would a 32' TT be easier to maneuver than a 40' FW? I have no experience towing an RV; furthermore, I'll be buying a truck to tow this. I say this to indicate I do not currently own or drive a truck.

Given my lack of experience, is it a bad idea to get a 40' FW?

YES and YES:E

Towing a 40' House large enough for a King bed and 13' high is not for a novice. You really need to try before you buy and drop/waste $100K.

Big rigs require planning (where to park) and skilled drivers. Certainly nice for those with the abilities, but not recommended for a first time RV purchase.

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
If your gut says somethjing is not right , you need to listen to it. I didn't listen and it cost big bucks.

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
A couple other things to consider.

If you get the 40'er, if it has high enough ground clearance at the tail end, you often will be able to back some to most to maybe all of the trailer behind the rear axle past the parking curb, significantly increasing the number of campsites that it will fit in. Just make sure you have enough clearance behind the curb to allow for all that trailer before you hit a tree.

Longer trailers react slower when backing. This can be a good thing for a person new to backing/maneuvering a trailer as long as they don't overreact. Take you time practicing and getting familiar with how quickly the tail end comes around and how much space that takes.

As mentioned above, watch the tail swing out when you turn. A very high percentage of long trailers that are damaged by new drivers is due to this. Try to fuel and park places that you have plenty of space to pull past obstacles in a straight or very slight turn. BIG truck stops and gas stations with very large parking lots are you friend until you get comfortable with your rig. USE THEM!

Also as mentioned above but worth repeating, IF IN DOUBT>PARK AND GET OUT! Even with a second person watching for you, stopping, getting out and walking around the back of the trailer, taking in everything around you that you have to watch for but cant see from the drivers seat, saves accidents. and Don't forget to look overhead also. Tree Limbs, wires, etc can cause a lot of expensive to fix damage.

Good luck in getting the perfect rig for you and your family!
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

sljkansas
Explorer
Explorer
Let me say that we tried the personal radios(modern day walkie-talkie's) and I went to using our cellphones, due to the DW not releasing the talk button so I could talk to her.
Steve & Linda
Son married (1 DIL, 3 granddaughters 1 grandson)
Daughter Married.
Miami Co. Kansas
2004 F350 CC dually 8ft bed 6.0 PSD
2009 Bighorn 3670RL
B&W under bed hitch with 18k companion hitch

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
You do need to buy what works for you in the camp grounds you plan to camp in. Check out the camp grounds or RV parks where you plan to camp. Also where will this TT be stored? in your yard? RV storage yard? If in a storage yard what is the cost to store a 40 ft TT?

Too small and you will end up trading for something larger. Too big and you will only use on vacation and hesitate to take it out on weekends.

Nail, head hit. RV storage in some places make it not worth the hassle to drive there for a weekend trip. If one has space for a small TT, better to get a trailer that is used often than a big one that is only used a few times a year. Neglect kills all RVs.

Sandy___Shirley
Explorer
Explorer
Be very careful of the website that give you load capacity information. Most of them are based on all fuel and storage tanks empty, nothing in the rv, no passengers in the truck, etc. Things that make the truck and RV look best. If you ad stuff and go over, that is your fault.

Our rig topped out at 20,000 lbs when we ran the numbers and 22,000 on the road as we normally travel!
Proud members of the S.K.I. club . . . $pending our Kids Inheritance

Their inheritance is now a 2015 Forest River Georgetown 378XL

abednego
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if there's a website somewhere that you can pick your truck and it'll give you the maximum tow ratings and so forth. Or enter what you know about the truck and it'll calculate things for you. I have a spreadsheet that I put together but there are a lot of variables, and until I actually own something and pack it I won't know exactly what I have, so to speak. And then it's too late, heh. I should just get a Max Tow 3500 Mega Cab and be done with it. 🙂

LoneCowboy
Explorer
Explorer
abednego wrote:
LoneCowboy wrote:
don't forget your class A license (not a CDL, but you do need more than the regular driver's license over 26,000lbs combined GVW)

you can do it, lots of people do, every day, and most of them do fine. But when it goes wrong, it's going to go wrong in a big way.

IMHO (and it's just my opinion) you need something like a 450/550 4500/5500 to tow something that size. Not for the go, but for the whoa and the control.

I appreciate what you're saying here.

I checked the Dodge site, and the 4500/5500 takes you to the commercial site, and then nothing shows up with a truck bed. Or am I missing something?

i dunno, maybe for Dodge you have to geta custom bed?????? I know you can buy Ford's F450/550's that are just pickups.
If you are in Denver go out to Christopher Dodge world (Colfax and I-70 on the west side more or less). They are an enormous volume dealer. They'll know or put in touch with the right people. (not a recommendation to buy, just to go look, if they don't have one, nobody in the area does)

Sandy___Shirley
Explorer
Explorer
To be honest, the learning curve is the learning curve. Maybe a 40 foot curve is a little less than a 35 foot curve, but not much.

Get what you want and will be happy with in the long run.

Take your rig to an open parking lot, use some orange cones, ropes, etc to practice backing into campsites. Once you have the knack of it, you will be fine.

Our total rig is 55 feet, 22,000 lbs.
Proud members of the S.K.I. club . . . $pending our Kids Inheritance

Their inheritance is now a 2015 Forest River Georgetown 378XL

abednego
Explorer
Explorer
LoneCowboy wrote:
don't forget your class A license (not a CDL, but you do need more than the regular driver's license over 26,000lbs combined GVW)

you can do it, lots of people do, every day, and most of them do fine. But when it goes wrong, it's going to go wrong in a big way.

IMHO (and it's just my opinion) you need something like a 450/550 4500/5500 to tow something that size. Not for the go, but for the whoa and the control.

I appreciate what you're saying here.

I checked the Dodge site, and the 4500/5500 takes you to the commercial site, and then nothing shows up with a truck bed. Or am I missing something?

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to assume here,that wife is going to be the one making the bed... Its just an assumption but before you chose a plan with a king size bed make sure you can get around it to make the bed up. That second one looks impossible to make up because you can't get around it. The Forest River is better but still might have the same issues. Walk around it, pull off the cover and see if you can put it back on. If an unmade bed drives you nuts, it might be an issue.

LoneCowboy
Explorer
Explorer
resmas wrote:
LoneCowboy wrote:
a 40' fifth wheel is certainly overweight for a 3500 1 ton.

:h:h:h

I am not sure what you are basing that statement on. There are TONS of 40' fivers that can be safely hauled by a 1-ton truck.... TONS! Even toy haulers - we tow a 43' toy hauler with a 1-ton Dodge dually.

No
Ok, I checked 2012 dodge's site. a 3500 (dually, they don't seem to come as SRW's in 3500 but I could have missed it) with 4.10 gears has a tow rating of 17,950lbs

most (although you are correct, not all) 40' toy haulers have GVWR's in the 18,000lb and up range ( I looked around). So, even if you do find one that's under 17,950 you are literally right on the edge.

non-toy haulers (regular 5th wheels) are worse. 40' Teton's, 24,000lbs GVW (my favorite) And I think we'll all agree that most 5th wheels on the road are overloaded.

but even if you get it under the tow rating, you are right at the edge. You are talking about a 30,000lb vehicle with hydraulic brakes and crappy electric brakes (all electric brakes are crappy).

and then you have to consider pin weight. The 3500 dually's appear to have a payload of 3000lbs. But that includes passengers and "stuff" in addition to pin weight.

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
rfryer wrote:
I can’t say about the difference between a 32’ and 40’. But everything’s a compromise with RV’s. Big is nice parked, but the tradeoff is maneuverability and places you can go and where you can camp. 40’ will likely exclude you from national forest cg’s and the state parks I’m familiar with. Even 32’ will be iffy with nf cg’s, you won’t get far from the pavement and it will be difficult to maneuver the roads through them. So where you want to camp is a critical consideration in choosing size. In those sizes you’re probably looking more at commercial cg’s than public land camping and advance reservations may be a good idea if you want to be assured of finding a campsite.

I agree with rfryer's comments above; good summary.

Also - you have selected some very nice floor plans, but I think you will find it a real chore to make the bed in the Spree since you don't have access to most of the sides.
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know you have your heart set on a Dodge but before buying one check out the 2011 Hurt Locker test at mrtrailer.com and a similar test of 1-tons done by Car and Driver in April of this year.

I bought a 2011 Chevy diesel but with a heavy 5th-wheel trailer I would also be looking at the Ford F-450 trucks. Both Ford and Chevy diesel trucks have been a lot more reliable than Dodge and get better mileage. With Ford one has a lot more options to get factory suspension modifications for heavy hauling and towing.