cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single person - How difficult to do everything by yourself?

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello all. I looked for a solo rv'ers section but didn't see one, so I apologize if this is in the wrong area.

I want to full time when I retire and have been researching RV's. I am single, so that brings me to my question:

What is going to be easiest as far a hooking up and setting up when it's only 1 person? I can't decide on whether to get a MH with a toad or a truck/TT or truck/5'ver combination. I would really prefer not to have to buy a big truck and use it as a daily driver once I get some where. But, just how easy or difficult is it for 1 person to do everything? I still have some time before I need to make a final decision. I am curious as to what other solo rv'ers have and why. Currently I am not planning on doing a lot of traveling but finding a spot and staying a month or two then going some where else and staying for a while.

Your thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated.
43 REPLIES 43

JFNM
Explorer
Explorer
I can only answer about the MH/toad scenario. Given reasonable quality equipment, it is SUPER easy. My Newmar Dutch Star required me to push FIVE buttons to setup (level & four slides). Of course, I still had to connect shore power/water if at a campground. A toad is very easy to connect/disconnect with a good tow bar - it does not require level, straight, or even the 'perfect' distance (two pins, two safety cables, and the electrical plug).
JD - Full timer out west
1998 MCI 102-EL3 Revolution | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I've been soloing it since I bought the trailer in 2005. My ex would go along and usually kind of got the food ready. But aside from that I did/do it all. Sure it takes a bit longer without help, but if you think about it a helper really only makes it go a bit faster.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
I solo about 1/4 of the time, I have a small 28 ft class A, but don't have a TOAD, at least not yet. As to answering your questions, it depends on what you mean by set up. For a single night in transit on the road, setup takes 5 minutes or less. If in an RV park I will generally only level and hook up electricity, water only gets connected if the fresh water tank is low, sewer only gets connected if the gray and black tanks are full. If the RV park has cable TV I would probably hook that up also, but that only takes a minute. Now for a longer term stay there are awnings to deal with, camp chairs, BBQ grill, ...

Etstorm
Explorer
Explorer
Best thing is to make a list of items to do for set up and take down.

Helps as reminders since you don't have someone else there to say anything

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
My TT gets towed behind an SUV. Before the current TV, I had no backup camera, but quickly learned how to hook up by myself, admittedly with several hikes back there to check on placement. Other than that, I've always done everything by myself, including back into campsites. (My wife, bless her heart, being prone to hide behind the trailer and/or wave incoherently as I backed up.)

So if you are reasonably competent, I see no reason you couldn't handle any rig by yourself. Of course it's less work and probably more fun with someone to share the experience, but none of it really requires four hands.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Twice a year I take our 42' FW out to spend some alone time at Coleman Lake in the Talladega NF. I can set up and tear down by myself in nearly the same time as when the DW is with me. Learn to back up by yourself and you'll have no issues. The first few times backing is intimidating but will become second nature. Go out and have fun.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
I do everything by myself. Even when my wife joins me, I do it all. There really isn't anything too heavy or strenuous involved. Just take your time and follow a checklist. I found someone's list on the net. If you get stuck, post here and you'll get lots of helpful answers.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think I answerd you elsewhere

I live in a class A, move (normally) every 2 weeks, Tow 4 down, Have limited personal mobility (Back pain and stamina issues) and have been solo since Easter Sunday 2013.. No problem with the RV save for some technical issues and even the work around for them does not bother me..
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Sarvi
Explorer
Explorer
Read this blog, it's a single woman traveling all over the US in her travel trailer. http://rvsueandcrew.net/

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
My aunt solos it all the time with her Honda CRV and little 1970s fiberglass trailer. At home, she parks it in a parking garage under her condo building in a pretty tight space, by herself. She's in her 60s.

And yes, I admit, my husband does most of the set up when we go somewhere. I usually just stand in the back to make sure he's not going to hit anything, but he could also do that alone if he had to. It's gotten a hell of a lot easier for him with a 5th wheel equipped with auto-leveling 🙂
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
While I don't camp alone. I do, do all the hooking up, and setting up. DW usually just gets in the truck, and says lets go. So In truth. I wouldn't know if it is easier with someone to help, or not.

but to be fair. after we get home. She or some one else does spot for me while I back thru the front yard, down the side yard, and turn to go into the backyard thru a gate, and turn again to get it under the shed
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I think a motorhome would be your best choice, especially with a 4-down toad. My wife has health issues that often prevent her from assisting, so I do it all. Setting up the motorhome itself on a site doesn't get much simpler. Pull or back in, run down the leveling jacks if you have them, plug in the power, connect the water and sewer hoses, and you're done. Oh, and connect the park TV cable if available. I usually don't bother with the sewer hose until it's needed. Interior setup usually just involves setting out items that were secured for travel, such as a laptop and perhaps kitchen and bath counter top items. We just stow the loose counter top items in the sinks.

Unhooking and hooking up a toad by yourself is not difficult with an all terrain tow bar. Unhooking just involves disconnecting the wire harness and possibly a brake cable, and then making sure the toad is in park or gear, releasing the arm locks and pulling a couple of pins so the arms can be folded up at the back of the motorhome. Worst case, there's some slope at the site putting pressure on the pins, so you release the arm locks and move the car a few inches to relieve them. Hooking up of course, is just the reverse. Even checking the toad lights alone after hooking up is not difficult. I have a wooden stick cut to the right length that I wedge between the motorhome seat and the brake pedal, and turning on the 4-way hazard lights can be a quick directional check.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
It's not difficult. Most of the families I see setting up at campgrounds really only have one person doing most of the work anyways. The wife is usually dealing with kids/pets/food. This isn't always the case, but plenty of people set up on their own. If the site is level me and the wife can have our trailer all set up in less than 15 min. It's like a pit stop.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Not hard at all.
I've been doing it for 13 years.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

mattmountz94
Explorer
Explorer
i think a truck and new Fifth wheel would be the easiest. Get one with auto level and ever better. I normally do all the setting up and breaking down by myself. Neighbors and or staff are usually more then helpful with backing in if you need an extra eye.