cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Quest for My Perfect Camper

Olddawgsrule
Explorer
Explorer
Thought this would be a good spot for this as would could help those along the path of purchase.

I will start by saying there is no one size fits all and to each their own. These are my observations.
Second, there really is no Perfect Trailer, we only come as close as we can to our wants.

Let's start!

I started this quest about a month ago after I learned my wife doesn't do as well as I hope on the water (ya, I was headed for a boat). So I moved on to land base travel. I came across this forum only a couple weeks back and have for this site to be very informative, active and a few jokesters to keep it lively!

For us, this not a weekend nor week vacation type of thing. We will be living in for extended periods, so size (layout) matters.

Day one of the RV Sales places.

This was Campers World. One of the largest in NH and a great place to start!

We start with the Class 3 Motorhome. This seemed like a possible choice and they had a few starting in at 67K. Considering a TT and a vehicle to tow, well can hit that $$ pretty quick.
Well, they came off the list pretty quick! What I thought they were is not reality. They are small when driving. Open them up when parked and we still felt much too small.

Took a quick look at the van campers and basically ran away.

My wife dragged me through a couple Class A's and knowing their way out of the budget and how nice they are, I really didn't even want to look, but good to for comparison.

Onward to the Travel Trailers. Two stuck out for the day.

First was the Prowler. Real nice kitchen (double bowl sink) and Frig of real size (6 cubic feet I believe, maybe a tad bigger). Full enclosed bath (which the wife wants) and good bedroom (I want twins, but all seem to come as Queens). The dinette slide out (side) is what we want (we now know). The longer units (30ft+) meant a longer slide-out and really made it spacious.
Con: Well, wood framed.. bummer, cause they're priced well! And the23ft really hit the mark for size and dollar.
Price about 23K for the 26ft we liked. AC and heater included.

Next came the Colemen Lantern series:

This one will stay on the list! All metal framed, no wood, Solar prep'd and outside kitchen, enclosed bath and bedroom, side dinette slide-out (found we really like this).
Looked at both the 23ft and 26ft and could go either way (26ft obviously roomier and nice sitting area in rear).

The 23ft we decided would be our choice and came in just under 20K

Lesson learned from the day. I need to look at a Toy Hauler and price them. Since I'm looking for open space that could be and answer for me.

So we've decided the Class A & C Motor Homes are out. As well as the Van Camper. The Travel Camper looks like our best bet.

Here's the list to Date:

#1 Is the Alto Safari. extremely light weight, not expandable but the roof raises to make it a real Travel Camper (tear-drop in transport mode). 3.? CuFt Frig, exterior shower (interior toilet), solar panel and windows galore! 34K 16 month delivery

#2 right now is the Coleman 230. Side dinette slide out, 6 Cuft frig, full bath, queen bed (which I'd probably tear out and do as I really want). $19,900

#3 Could be the Riverside Dream. I'm awaiting response from them to see if they'll customize for me. I'm looking at their 23ft model. Also side slide-out dinette (smaller than Coleman's), full bath, and nice kitchen. $20K

Much more to come as I proceed!
Tent to Pop-up to 5th wheel, currently without and wanting...
54 REPLIES 54

Olddawgsrule
Explorer
Explorer
In my continued quest I found a 2005 Lazy Daze 27ft rear twin bed for $36,500. 14k miles.
Read through the post and he's upgraded/done what needs to be including new tires.
Then the bash in the side is shown..

Okay it's cosmetic, but badly patched. Down right ugly!

NADA has the unit at 31K. I figured an offer of 28-30K was reasonable with the damages.

Was I really an ass on the offer?
He sure thinks so..

Olddawgsrule
Explorer
Explorer
We made it up there! Took till 30 miles out to see the first one on the road!

Everything about it that I saw in the pictures was true, some spec's they don't speak about we're a little disappointing.

Pro, there's no wood in the construction of this trailer! Con, the rear bumper is not attached to any solid.. Use-less for even standing on.

Pro, 4 days autonomy with the battery. Con, Lead acid battery. Solar panels even at 200w would take days to re-charge. The vehicle alternator would do better.

Was surprise at 13" tires.. I though at least 14"..

Size, this was the biggest surprise to me and probably my own mis-understanding. Around here when the dealer speaks 17.ft, he talking usable space so add 3ft for the hitch. Up there, it's tongue to bumper. Shame... Makes it too small for my extended hopes of traveling.

Warranty, This really surprised me. Talking to him and examining the retractable window seal, he explained how in 9yrs they have never had an issue. How long? 2 yrs he says. Told him for what you asking for $$ it should be lifetime. Especially since "You've never had an issue!"

Overall,I do still like the unit, it's just not for us. It is a great basis to work from as we proceed.
If it was 17.5ft usable space and $10K lower in price... I'd have a tough time walking away from it.

Olddawgsrule
Explorer
Explorer
We're heading up Friday to the Alto factory to have a look about and talk to the folks. I need to see, sit in, and ask my questions about the unit and either order or put it to bed.

Pro's & Con's to which way to go. Time to get some answers.

The Quest continues!

Olddawgsrule
Explorer
Explorer
So here's where we're at now.

They're are some rather nice Class C's out there 2014 and newer in the 40-60K range. That falls right into the same pricing as buying a TT and a TV of comparable size.

We've pretty much decided we're not going to tow a 24-27ft TT behind a truck. Ya I know the benefits of hooking and day tripping, I get it. But from what I'm learning, I'm not seeing any real gas savings in doing so.

Teach me if you think I'm wrong here.

So that puts me into a very lightweight trailer (found one I still believe the Subaru will tow) but means being 'very' careful of weight (and probably a WD hitch).

That would at best put me at 15mpg (deintely less crossing the Rockies..). Class C's, found what I'm reading, I'm not to expect that much. In fact figure 10mpg. 12mpg or better would be nice without going diesel.

I found so far that the Ford E450 is the engine to go for in the Class C. Again, you feel I'm of base here, teach me. I'm listening to all of ya's!

What I learned in my boating days (rule of thumb) is you buy a used boat from the North (never from the South). I figure in RV's, you buy used from the Southwest.

The journey for the Perfect RV continues! an Have I learned a lot in the past couple months!!

Thanks to ya all!

Olddawgsrule
Explorer
Explorer
Shoalster wrote:
Olddawgsrule wrote:
Had to pass on going up to Quebec City this weekend. Family stuff happens.. Hopefully next.

Found a very nice Lazy Daze 27ft Class C 2012 with under 6K miles. He's a bit high on his $$ yet could make an offer. Layout is very close and doable. Just no slides..
Going used means compromise.. I get it.

Anyone have an opinion of Lazy Daze for me?

I looked hard for one for a while but the two that I looked at had wood damage from water intrusion, one was severely damaged in the bathroom area. IMHO, I think that they are way overrated. On the upside, the twin/king layout with the panoramic view is the best layout ever. Too bad other manufacturers don't copy it.

That's interesting and thank you for adding your comment!
My knowledge of them (limited) is they're not wood constructed. One of the reason I have them on my list.
This I will need to look into some.
May I ask what year units you were looking at?

Shoalster
Explorer
Explorer
Olddawgsrule wrote:
Had to pass on going up to Quebec City this weekend. Family stuff happens.. Hopefully next.

Found a very nice Lazy Daze 27ft Class C 2012 with under 6K miles. He's a bit high on his $$ yet could make an offer. Layout is very close and doable. Just no slides..

I looked hard for one for a while but the two that I looked at had wood damage from water intrusion, one was severely damaged in the bathroom area. IMHO, I think that they are way overrated. On the upside, the twin/king layout with the panoramic view is the best layout ever. Too bad other manufacturers don't copy it.

Olddawgsrule
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
actually, Lazy Daze is a SoCal RV manufacturer, specifically inland, closer to desert than salt water.

i lived for 60 years in California and saw lots of Lazy Days motorhomes but hardly any in the Northwest.

so i wouldn't say that they are popular up here.

Southwest, YES.

i now live on an island in Washington and i have NO clue what you're worry is about salt water here.
Road rock salt is a way worse issue that ocean salt water.
maybe East Coast is a worry for salt water but seldom on the West Coast. unless you live on the beach.

Thank you for the report. I have no clues of West Coast units, especially Northwest. One LD is garaged in Oregon (Brookings) the other in Washington State.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
actually, Lazy Daze is a SoCal RV manufacturer, specifically inland, closer to desert than salt water.

i lived for 60 years in California and saw lots of Lazy Days motorhomes but hardly any in the Northwest.

so i wouldn't say that they are popular up here.

Southwest, YES.

i now live on an island in Washington and i have NO clue what you're worry is about salt water here.
Road rock salt is a way worse issue that ocean salt water.
maybe East Coast is a worry for salt water but seldom on the West Coast. unless you live on the beach.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Olddawgsrule
Explorer
Explorer
I did find another Lazy Daze within my criteria of needs, but it's only 24ft. That sounds weird to say since 24ft is in the range... It's the layout for the 24ft. The 27ft'er has a better layout. The 27ft has extras I have no need for and they want me to buy the fact it has them..

This is not a East Motor Home, so seeing one is out of the question so far.

They do seem to be big in the Northwest. That being said.. Salt water, probably as bad as Salt roads here in the Nor'east. Yes?

What should I be looking out for in a MH in the Northwest?

Olddawgsrule
Explorer
Explorer
Well, you guys have done some talking about them.. Found a nice thread!

Still hope to her some more recent opinions.

Olddawgsrule
Explorer
Explorer

Olddawgsrule
Explorer
Explorer
I'm heading up t Quebec City next weekend to confirm 'if' this Alto stays on the list.

I have friends in Sherbrooke that we'll visit while up there, so not just a run to see a camper. It's also the weekend of the sailing race and I'm the 'old' Jib runner for him! We took 5th in the Multi Hull nationals in the Nor'east years back for our class! Now it's 'J' class and I'm excited about doing both.

The Alto is 17.5ft of living space. My minimum for space. It's so lite, so well done, it's a must see at the least.

I'll update after I walk through it.

Olddawgsrule
Explorer
Explorer
Ya, the deals are out there, I agree!

Work with me a bit on Class A or Class C please.

Only my current opinion (and probably way the heck off).

I see going Class A if your going to buy over 30ft and staying Class C if under.
Either way your buying a larger Engine to run it, but over 30ft Class A seems to be better built for the size.

My intent is to stay under 30ft (28ft being max). Also Wifey sat behind the Wheel of both and was comfortable in the Class C. Class A she said she would not drive, it scared her.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Olddawgsrule wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Maybe I missed it in all the excitement but what do you have to put in front of this trailer you're thinking of getting? Do you have a Chevy Luv or a 1 ton diesel? Do you even have a pickup or TV yet?

I have a 2004 F-150 but not n the equation of doing this.
What ever I decide upon includes a tow vehicle.
That puts me quickly into the 50K expense.

With the Alto, I can pull with my 2017 Subaru. Yet that's 34K for the trailer alone (as I would want it). And... I have to be careful of loading. Probably a WD hitch, yada, yada,yada... You see where I'm going here.

The decision comes down to; Do I wish to pull or drive.
The costs are very close in my case.

As Wifey and I talk about what & how, the decision is becoming clearer (though still rather foggy, lol)

A process I will share as I go down this.

Hope ya all are interested.

Exactly. You will come out WAAAAAAAAY ahead if you bought a used class A. Case in point. My buddy bought a really, really, really nice class A for 29K. Top of the line diesel pusher.

When he was cleaning it out he found an invoice for almost a 1/4 of a million dollars!

They are out there; you just have to hunt! Good luck!
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Olddawgsrule
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Maybe I missed it in all the excitement but what do you have to put in front of this trailer you're thinking of getting? Do you have a Chevy Luv or a 1 ton diesel? Do you even have a pickup or TV yet?

I have a 2004 F-150 but not n the equation of doing this.
What ever I decide upon includes a tow vehicle.
That puts me quickly into the 50K expense.

With the Alto, I can pull with my 2017 Subaru. Yet that's 34K for the trailer alone (as I would want it). And... I have to be careful of loading. Probably a WD hitch, yada, yada,yada... You see where I'm going here.

The decision comes down to; Do I wish to pull or drive.
The costs are very close in my case.

As Wifey and I talk about what & how, the decision is becoming clearer (though still rather foggy, lol)

A process I will share as I go down this.

Hope ya all are interested.