cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing through mountains

schl44
Explorer
Explorer
I need some advice. I have a F350 with a 6.7 deisel automatic transmission. I tow a 37 ft toy hauler. So when approaching a steep long grade how do you proceed. Do you just use the tow/haul or do you select the manual shift and start down in 2nd or 3rd gear? Thanks for any pointers!
19 REPLIES 19

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
How you work it depends on the vehicle and the load and the speed. I know nothing about your specific rig or the programming of the engine and transmission computers. I also do not know anything about your engine cooling system. I can only tell you what works for me.

I've a diesel with an auto transmission, too. The engine also has a mechanically driven water pump. I have found that sport mode (what you call tow/haul mode on your truck) works better when towing than the normal mode, which is designed to maximize fuel economy. I suspect you'll find the same. If the terrain is flat, I'll often leave it in normal anyway, but put it in sport/tow/haul for extra engine braking or accelerating power or climbing gentle slopes.

But when the going gets rough, the road gets steep, and the climb gets long, or when the downgrade calls for engine braking to save the wheel brakes, I'll go to manual gear selection and keep those revs up, both for the power and engine braking, but also to make sure the water pump is going full blast to keep engine temps down.

It's lovely having an auto transmission to handle all those decisions. Makes driving so much easier. BUT, and it's a big but, there are times when I want to get all the performance possible, and those computers are just not programmed to provide that.

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Currently the Allison transmission takes care of it for me. I always drive with tow/haul on and when going down a steep hill I set the cruise to 5-10 under the speed limit or recommendation for trucks and only have to touch the brake-hard as previously stated above-if some idiot pulls in front of me then slows down.

Love that Allison.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The tow mode is nice but I do prefer the manual mode particularly on the downhill side. Going uphill I can make it shift down one with a twitch of the foot. I do miss a full manual transmission sometimes but it is not too difficult to make the Alisson behave somewhat like a manual.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Figure what speed you want to try to maintain, cruise off tow/haul on and manually shift gears as needed to hold speed. Going back down the back side, let the transmission help hold your speed down. If braking is necessary, apply brakes hard to reduce speed and then get off them DO NOT ride the brakes.