cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vibration issue

TreeDee
Explorer
Explorer
We are traveling from Vegas to Reno and are experiencing vibration. The tires seem to be fine. Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks! Driving a 24 ft. Itasca.
11 REPLIES 11

GunnyJ
Explorer
Explorer
Check Your wheel Bearings
GUNNY J
LYNDA & Our German Shepherd Dog Rocky .
2020 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCD Wet
2004 DODGE RAM 3500 4X4 SRW
If you don't stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them!

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
TreeDee wrote:
Felt in the steering wheel first then the seat.
Did it start all of a sudden or did the vibration get worse over time? What is your camper make model and year?

TreeDee
Explorer
Explorer
Felt in the steering wheel first then the seat.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Theres about a half dozen more questions that would help narrow down the possible causes as well.
OP if you come back to the thread here and need help, please be very specific rather than very vague. It will help us help you diagnose the issue.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Three questions did this start all of a sudden? do you feel the vibration in the seat or the steering wheel?

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
if this just started? good choice would be a brake dragging. drive it five miles get out and touch the rim see if one is much hotter than the other.or smells

TreeDee
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the advice!

jhlady
Explorer
Explorer
Does it vary with speed? Increase when you speed up, decrease when you slow down?
Would indicate problem in the drive line or tire/wheels.

Does it get worse when you touch the brakes, especially lightly? Would indicate problem with the brakes/rotors.

Hope this helps.

John

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Bad u-joint
Drive line center support bearing
Along with what others posted.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are several possibilities; off the top of my head, they include:
1. Out of balance wheels -- maybe a balance weight came off, or something is caught inside a wheel. I had a badly out of balance wheel once on my motorhome that I eventually discovered was caused by a bird (!) that somehow found its way into an inner rear wheel.
2. Out of round tires, not always immediately discernable by the eye
3. Brake dragging on a warped rotor
4. Out of balance drive shaft or worn drive shaft bearing/hanger or U-joint
5. If just starting out after being parked for quite some time, the tires will often be flat-spotted for the first few miles, which is nothing to be concerned with. This solves itself as they warm up, etc.

This is almost certainly not an exhaustive list!

For #3, there would be other pretty obvious effects: a wheel that's a lot warmer than the others, hot brake odor, the vehicle seeming to pull to one side when the brakes are applied, I think particularly if it's a front brake that is dragging.

For drive shaft problems, the speed that the vibrations occur at is often lower than for wheel problems--maybe 30-45 mph to start vs. 60+ mph.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
could have lost a balance wiegh on a front tire,,check air presure in tires, look for a bubble on a tire cord seprating inside tire.