cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which books and/or apps for trip planning?

whitneykt
Explorer
Explorer
If you had to pick 3-4 RVing reference books to add to your "trip planning" library, which would you get and why?

Also, are there any apps that you use for your trip planning.

i.e. Bridge heights, roads long 5'rs can't go on, campsite finders w/length limitations, places to visit and any other book(s) you find useful.
18 REPLIES 18

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Google works great for me. Search for campgrounds, Google Maps for picking sites, planning routes, and estimating travel times. TomTom while driving (with the route it chooses checked against Google to make sure it's reasonable before leaving). I create a word document with a brief summary of the route, stops, etc., all on a single page, and print that before leaving. We also have a paper Atlas Just In Case but use it only perhaps once every 2-3 years.

We make all our reservations before leaving, so don't really need anything for finding a place to stay while en route. If we did for some reason, we'd just use Google on the phone to find something.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I don't own a dumb phone let alone a smart one........
Good Sam's trip planner has alerted me to low bridges & propane restrictions that Mapquest didn't.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
We have a large-print Rand McNally Atlas (spiral-bound so it lays flat); and for "need a place for a night's stay", we use the App "Allstays" or our newer Garmin Nuvi GPS for just about anything (food, fuel, etc). Major trip routes get planned using Microsoft's Streets and Trips. We used to carry a "Trailer Life Guide to RV Parks", but now that we've downsized to a truck camper, that's rather unwieldy.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not very many RV reference books, but have collected more than a few dozen travel books, for U.S. and overseas. I don't use them for planning, rather for ideas about where to go next. I also collect books on my travels.

Magazines too. For a long time, we got National Geographic Traveler, Budget Travel, Motorhome Magazine. I still get Home and Away from the auto club. Read them, toss them, let the ideas churn around in my head.

One reference, the Motor Carrier's Road Atlas, to stay out of trouble with a large vehicle. Then when going off the designated trucking roads, I ask locally.

Another, specific to one route frequently traveled, the EZ66 Guide for Travelers (though I have a few other Route 66 books). Also have one for the Lincoln Highway.

My favorite book for road trip ideas has been "Road Trip USA." This describes six north-south cross country routes, five east-west. Bedtime reading, from time to time, so I dream trips.

Looking at the top of the chest next to me I the Discovery Channel Guide to the American Southwest, Essential Guide to Black Canyon, RV Vacations for Dummies (several trip ideas), Adventure Guide to Oklahoma, Tony Hillerman's Navajoland, Scenic Driving Texas, Native Roads, Adventure Guide to the Alaska Highway, Roadside History of Oklahoma, National Geographic's Scenic Highways and Byways, Eccentric America, Roadfood, Watch It Made in the USA, Sierra Club's Pacific Northwest, National Geographic's Complete National Parks of the United States, Worlds Best Cities, AA Book of British Towns, Weird Texas, Readers Digest Most Scenic Drives in America and their See the USA the Easy Way, and National Geographic's Drives of a Lifetime.

More travel books are shelved and stacked up in other rooms. Not for reference (though some are take-along like the EZ66 and Road Trip) but mostly for ideas. I do put together a plan of sorts for each trip, so the trip fits a time frame, and we can figure out what we have time to see, what we might have to pass up.

A lot of trips are to specific destinations at specific times, so I might plan for two days, three days, four days on a frequently made 1100 mile diagonal trip, take different routes each time, allowing a extra half day (or two) for stops along the way. A lot of times the route will change along the way, a lot of different highways in the middle of this country will get you to the same place in about the same amount of time.

If you don't have a time frame, you don't need a plan at all. You just wander. But you still need an idea of what is out there that might be interesting to you. For me, that's why I have all the books, but your public library likely also has a travel section.

If you like crowds, get one of the "bucket list" books and go to the places everybody else has been told they must see before they die.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

DutchStar38
Explorer
Explorer
X2 Rand Mcnally Trucker's atlas. Plans? We don't need no stinkin plans. ๐Ÿ™‚
We just use the road atlas to check for what roads we should take in the direction we are going. After about 4 hours driving then it's time to find a place to park it. Find all kinds of great places by accident.
Ronny & Lynda
Sammy (Brussells Griffon/Maltese mix)
TJ (Micro Teacup 2.1 lbs Poodle)
2005 Newmar DutchStar 3809 DP
2002 HarleyDavidson Ultra

whitneykt
Explorer
Explorer
Great tips! Thanks!

whitneykt
Explorer
Explorer
Great tips! Thanks!

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I have the current edition of the
National Parks of the U.S.,
a book on the Monuments and a
Michelin road map book of the U.S. and
Trailer Life.

I use other items in the planning when home and trip planning, but once we hit the road it's the first list.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I have the laminated Rand Mcnally Trucker's atlas. Strange, but it was cheaper in a Loves then thru Amazon. Laminated so it will last longer and so I can use a dry erase pen to map my route. If you are worried about height, just stay on the yellow highlighted roads. Also contains a state by state listing of low bridges (Texas is the big winner in this category).

I use rvparkreviews.com - it has not let me down yet.

I also have the Allstays CG guide app, RVparky app, Woodalls app, National Geographic National Parks app, RecGovCamp app, and the Passport to your National Parks app.

I plan my on-line route using MS Streets and Trips, which is now defunct. I like it a lot.

I am a Good Sams member so I bought the CG guide for cheap - $7.00 I think.

There are books for Corps of Engineers and Forest Service CGs, and state apps for state parks.

I full time, so I maybe go a little overboard on this stuff.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
The only book I carry is the Motor Carrier's Atlas made for truckers. I use Google to plan and check routes and then the trucker's atlas verify the route as accessible.

For finding campgrounds I use is the Good Sam website. I enter the state and then go to map view so I can actually see where the campground is in relation to where I want to be. I look at reviews on the same site and also check rv park reviews website. I will do a Google Map view of the campground to see what it really looks like to see how much room there is and if it's suitable for my rig.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

whitneykt
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! I will check into these.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Since I got a smart phone and the "RV parks" app (free) I'm not sure I will ever use my directory again. It's just a map of the US which you can zoom out or in, find your routes and move along them and the campgrounds just start popping up. Sometimes you have to zoom in closer to get government parks but they are nearly all there. Then touch the little symbol and the full name of the campground comes up with details about amenities, phone number, etc.
Jayco-noslide

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
1. Mountain West Directory (or Mountain East). Provides information on every pass or highway deemed to be a challenge for truckers and RV'ers.
2. Motor Carrier's Road Atlas - contains truck routes, overpass heights, etc.
3. Woodall's Campground Directory - published every year but information is actually good for many more and is very useful.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
eubank wrote:
If you're headed to the four corners area, this book is indispensable. Unless, of course, you're not interested in history.

https://smile.amazon.com/Native-Roads-Complete-Motoring-Nations/dp/1933855894/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid...

Lynn

Looks like a good one. I love maps, and the AAAIndian Country Guide Map is my all time favorite one.