Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winterizing: Water valve positions

atvaholic
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I'm winterizing and have an RV with the "3 water valves" on the pump, where you can choose to fill the fresh water tank from a pail, or pump from the tank, etc. The problem is I cant remember the positions needed - and of course they are not labeled. I once found a thread on here that explained it, but can no longer find it. Can someone point me to it, or explain the positions needed?
6 REPLIES 6

atvaholic
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the images, it gives me some idea of what I need to do. Its a 2012 KZ sportsmen.

So for winterizing it looks like I need to close the valve from the fresh water tank, open the valve for the filler hose and turn the pump on so that antifreeze is pumped into the lines. I have no heater bypass (yet) so that's not an issue at the moment.

The closest google picture I can find that is similar is this: (though its not the exact one)
http://i.imgur.com/76a3liC.jpg

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Handles on 90-degree ball T-valves are usually oriented to show which way the flow will be (my fresh tank drain being one counter example). For multiple valves, you can use that to work out a flow diagram for valve combinations.

That's assuming you can't find diagrams in the owners manual or posted in the utility bays (as Fleetwood preferred to do it).

There are so many different possible ways to connect freshwater plumbing that what works for one manufacturer and model may not apply to another. Best to make a diagram of what is actually there, valves and lines, physically.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

chevyman2
Explorer
Explorer
Since we dont know exactly what RV you have, I will say this. You can likely "google" it.
However I do know that some class As do have 3 valves "near" the water inlet. 1 is water heater bypass. 1 is to stop the pump from siphoning from the fresh tank. 1 is to make the pump siphon from the siphon hose (that you put in the bottle of Rv antifreeze) "RV pink koolaid"

If these valves sound familiar, you will need to turn all 3 in opposite directions as they are for normal use.
Tim-DW(Kathy)
12 Chevy Sonic DD, 03 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE, 2001 Jayco KIWI
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream-then I am living the dream

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The older trailers had the three VALVE Water Heater BYPASS setup...

Looked something like this google photo

The operations is depicted in this pictorial

The basic water flow diagram for the older trailers is much like this drawing...

This setup only allows the fresh water tank to be manually filled and the only time you use the Water Pump is when you have water in the fresh water tank.. The city water inlet provides the necessary water pressure when not using the water pump.

Newer trailers now have switch valves to allow the fresh water tank to be filled from the city water inlet. Have no experience with the newer trailer water flow setups...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm...should only be one near the pump, on the inlet side. Turn the valve handle so that it's in line with one or the other. The one in line is the one that's open. The one at a right angle is closed. Hopefully this helps.

Edit: well, on refreshing my memory by looking, mine has 2, so I close the one from the tank (right angle to line) and open the line to be drawn from the bottle (handle in line with hose).
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard