cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winterizing

Bob_Barrett
Explorer
Explorer
I am posting to get some imput on winterizig my camper . Last year i used the red non-toxic antifreeze , and took forever to get it out one we started camping again . This time im trying the air method , and seem like the hotwater heater gurgles forever , I dont want to ruin anything , How do you winterize ? Is the air method trustworthy ?
16 REPLIES 16

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the water heater, pull the drain plug, turn the bypass valves (qty 3...close the hot, close the cold, open the cross-feed) and you're done. There will be residual water at the bottom of the tank. This is not a problem as there is plenty of room for expansion when that residual water freezes.

Don't overthink this.

atomlinson
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
If you should want to use antifreeze you should use a winterizing pump and pump the AF thru the fresh water inlet rather than putting it in the fresh water tank.

You would need to look behind the water heater and see if there are isolation/bypass valves there. Google Rv water heater bypass to see some examples.

This is what I used last weekend for the first time. Since we always use city water hookup and never use our fresh water tank, this pump was ideal for our situation and it worked like a charm (I hope so, anyway).
Andy
2012 Keystone Outback 280RS
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500HD 6.0

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I use anti-freeze but we use jugs of water for drinking because it does take awhile to clear the antifreeze.
Jayco-noslide

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
We live in coastal GA and use our Motorhome year round. We do winterize a few times a winter. Winterize for us entails draining the hot water heater and the fresh water tank. Blowing out the lines with an air compressor and adding some RV anti-freeze to all the drains. We've never pumped anti-freeze into the lines and never cracked a pipe.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Op..editing your mistakes instead of making another post might help avoid confusion.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Nevadastars
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Barrett wrote:
Thanks for all the replys , by the way i did put the antifreeze {non toxic )in the fresh water tank . I dont even know what a hot water heater bypass is , would i have one on a 95 Keystone Zypher ?

You may not have one. My neighbor's 98 Shasta Class C does not. My 06 Tioga does. It is a simple inline valve with a lever that shuts off the main water supply to the heater. You would have to trace your main line to the heater to find out if one is installed.
2016 Forest River Wildcat Maxx 262RGX 8,268 UVW 11,754 GVWR
2007 Ram 2500 QC SB 4x4 Smarty tuned 5.9 Cummins
B&W Turnover Ball & Andersen Ultimate

Nevadastars
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Barrett wrote:
Thanks for all the replys , by the way i did put the antifreeze {non toxic )in the fresh water tank . I dont even know what a hot water heater bypass is , would i have one on a 95 Keystone Zypher ?

You may not have one. My neighbor's 98 Shasta Class C does not. My 06 Tioga does. It is simply a ball valve with a lever that shuts off the main water supply to the heater. You would have to trace your main line to the heater to find out if one is installed.

Nevadastars
Explorer
Explorer
boogie_4wheel wrote:
Pull the drain plug/anode rod to drain the water heater.
Go to backside (inside the trailer), and actuate the water heater bypass valves.
Run the water pump a few seconds to clear out its little piece of line.
Attach air to city water connection.
Open low point drains and blow water out. Finger tight the caps back on.
Open each faucet (kitchen, bathroom, shower) and toilet to blow them clear.
Do the low point drains a second time for the fun of it.
Open all faucets.
Pour a little antifreeze down each drain, enough to fill the trap plus some to make it to the holding tank. Pour a little down the toilet.

Do this to mine every year, sees -20*F.

That is exactly what I do every year.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If you should want to use antifreeze you should use a winterizing pump and pump the AF thru the fresh water inlet rather than putting it in the fresh water tank.

You would need to look behind the water heater and see if there are isolation/bypass valves there. Google Rv water heater bypass to see some examples.

Bob_Barrett
Explorer
Explorer
Oops 05

Bob_Barrett
Explorer
Explorer

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I've been doing it in WY with no problems. I dump fresh water tank & I dump my water heater. Run the water pump until no water comes out of lines. put the plug back in and finish blowing out the lines. When finished I remove the water heater plug to make sure it remains drained. After blowing out the lines remove any water filter housings. Pour pink stuff in traps. I put couple of cups of pink stuff in my washer and spin it out to fill washer trap. Make sure toilet and outside shower get blown out, also ice maker line. I leave one valve open all the time. Open second valve close first to make sure pressure doesn't build too high. Set my compressor to 45 PSI. I winterize and de-winterize on the road. Takes me about 15 minutes. A little slower with the washer spinning out.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Don't know why it took so long to get it out unless you put antifreeze in the fresh water tank.

Maybe the OP is talking about the taste from the antifreeze?