cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1/2 Inch Drive Corded or Battery Impact Wrench

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Primary use would be to change a flat tire when I'm on the road. If I get a corded wrench I would need to start the generator to use it. I would also need an extension cord. If I get a battery operated wrench all I need to do is make sure the battery is charged. Corded Pros: less expensive, takes up less room and I think it would more powerful than a battery operated gun. Cons: need to have the generator running to use. Battery: Pros: ready for immediate use. Cons: takes up a little more storage space, must be charged to use, cost more and this is just a guess, doesn't have the same power as a corded gun. My current set up is a 3ft length of 1 1/2 pipe and a 3/4 inch breaker bar which will work fine but I'd like to simplify my approach.
As always your opinions are valued.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!
46 REPLIES 46

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I use this one.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
All very good points Jerry. ๐Ÿ™‚ I have new tires to put on so I should be able to see how this little devil works, and try out the new Centramatics I am getting. Not convinced on them, but trying to get wheels lug centric balanced is an exercise in frustration.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
fj12ryder wrote:
Well, I just got motivated to order a cordless Dewalt 1/2" impact wrench. It should go nicely with my other Dewalt stuff. ๐Ÿ™‚

Reading this forum can get expensive! Congrats on the new toy/tool! You could try giving it to Peggy for V-Day, to make it a justifiable purchase. ๐Ÿ™‚

I like Dewalt products. Better than average, for not a huge price.

Jerry

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, I just got motivated to order a cordless Dewalt 1/2" impact wrench. It should go nicely with my other Dewalt stuff. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
I got a Milwaukee M12 battery impact wrench last year, and Wow.

I have the M12 3/8" impact. Great for around the house, but don't expect it to do lug nuts !

Tvov wrote:
Look into getting a "system" where the batteries can be used with multiple tools like drills and saws.

Yep ! It's like getting married. Getting out of the relationship will be very expensive.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Took me longer than a lot of other people, but I am firmly in the battery camp now.

I got a Milwaukee M12 battery impact wrench last year, and Wow. Hard to believe how much better it is than my air impact wrench. I got the "shorty" one to get under my mowers, so it doesn't even weigh all that much.

Look into getting a "system" where the batteries can be used with multiple tools like drills and saws.

Definitely battery over corded.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, I carry a 2 foot 50-250 ft.lbs. Harbor Freight torque wrench, but it warns not to use it to loosen bolts, hence the breaker bar. But I think I'm going to keep my eyes open for a good used Dewalt 1/2" impact. I have the batteries and multiple Dewalt stuff so it would work out for me.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
I have a 25" breaker bar for the really stubborn stuff. ๐Ÿ™‚
I use my 40 yo Craftsman torque wrench on the road. Still need a torque wrench either way IMO. Have changed at least half dozen tires on the road over the years. No issues.

Have a corded gun at home. Works great. (also Craftsman)

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I got me a "Hobo Freight" Bauer 20v cordless 1/2 impact and it busts off the 150 lb/ft lugs on my F150 easily..

I have an old air impact (Campbell Hausfeld) that could not bust off those lugs..

The Bauer is under $100, but does not include the battery/charger..

I had already gotten some other Bauer 20v tools. Leaf blower, hedge trimmer, so I already had the charger and 5ah battery (an extra $100 for those things alone) but I can use the same battery for all three tools, plus the heat gun I got at the same time I got the impact, which is "cool" too, so 4 tools now, and only a single charger/battery! ๐Ÿ™‚ )

Anyway, it ain't a Milwaukee, Dewalt or Craftsman brand name, but even with the extra price of the battery/charger, it still costs less and works fine for a DIY guy that only uses it occasionally.. and any other Bauer tool you buy, you only have to get the tool, so it's cheaper once you already have the charger/battery..

Yes, it's a cheap tool, but I don't need to make a living with it, so it's fine for a DIY guy IMO..

Just my experience with them, as I am moving from air/corded tools to cordless tools and it's expensive no matter what, but makes all those chores you need them for, a lot easier.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
A battery impact will likely have more power than a corded model. They have more power than a lot of air impacts. I have a friend who is a professional mechanic. He works on everything from motorcycles to 18 wheelers. He said after he got his Milwaukee 18v cordless impact he hadn't used any of his air impact wrenches in years.
The new Lithium batteries hold a charge for a very long time with no charging in between. I sometimes use 3 or 4 different Milwaukee M18 cordless tools on and off thru a workday. Many days I never charge a battery.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 25" breaker bar for the really stubborn stuff. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you need the power, a quality Dewalt 1/2 in 20V battery powered will have way more power than a similar corded model.

Yes, a quality 20V will hold a charge for a long time, while just storing. It will give near max power, right up to the end, when it gives it up.

Many HD trucks have a lot of torque on the lug nuts. It should be stated in the owners manual, that the pitiful factory supplied lug wrench may not be sufficient. A breaker bar with HD socket and necessary cheater will work for the amount of times that most of us have a flat on our TVs.

Jerry

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If I literally was only going to use it for the occasional flat tire and have a generator always within reach, a cordless is a big waste of money.
But a quality 1/2โ€ cordless impact will hit as hard or harder than the best 120v or air gun of the same class.
If a person doesnโ€™t use power tools much the cost of going cordless is kinda steep since the convenience of the tools is infrequent. If one uses typical mechanic/construction/carpenter power tools very frequently the convenience of cordless is awesome.

I just bit the bullet a year or so ago and upgraded from my old cordless drill, driver and baby skilsaw to a new pretty complete set of tools. I donโ€™t touch my corded or air tools very often anymoreโ€ฆ.
Only air tools besides paint guns Iโ€™ve used since getting the kit is the DA and polisher. Because I donโ€™t own the cordless versions yet! And occasionally 1/2โ€ air impact. Itโ€™s โ€œmore gentleโ€ than the cordless on nice lugnuts.

Iโ€™m trying to resist the urge to spend a bunch more money on other cordless tools that I donโ€™t โ€œneedโ€ as often.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Sandia Man wrote:
newer batteries hold power for long periods of time, more than likely you will still have plenty of power remaining in the battery when called into service.
True. Li's ( I believe they're all Lis) hold a charge for a long, long time.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 on cordless 1/2 inch impact wrench, Santa brought me a Rigid last Christmas and already tackled a few projects on our class A with astounding ease. Sure gave my right arm quite a work out as it is pretty heavy, but removing bolts that would have required serious muscle, literally in seconds, don't know why I did not get one sooner. Tried the electric AC driven 1/2 inch and it just did not have the torque, probably why I didn't pull the trigger on the 20 volt version sooner thinking they have similar power. These newer batteries hold power for long periods of time, more than likely you will still have plenty of power remaining in the battery when called into service.