Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

10,000 wdh for 4,000 lb TT

road_freedom
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

I'm finally getting back into RV'ing with my V6 Canyon with tow package (700 TW, 7,000 lb towing cap.). I'm getting a small TT, 2,600 lb. dry / 3,900 lb GVWR. I have a 10,000 lb. Equil-i-zer hitch and would like to know if there is a downside to using this hitch on such a light trailer? If so, I can change out the head and spring bars to a 600 / 6,000 setup, but wanted to hear from others' experiences before I shell out the $350.

Thanks

BTW, haven't changed my sig line yet - I'm working on it.
Steve

2020 Silverado
2020 Flagstaff E-Pro E15TB
12 REPLIES 12

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
And remember, wdhโ€™s are only considered a โ€œnecessityโ€ in the weird world of travel trailers.
Who says you even need one?
Small trailer behind a new Canyon? Iโ€™d slap a set of timbrens or sumos on the truck, if needed, and hit the road!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will beat the trailer to death. I would get a properly sized hitch.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
road=freedom wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
It'll make it ride stiff but my concern would be overstressing the tongue to chassis on the trailer. That and the resistance to allowing the truck and trailer to roll independently over uneven surfaces as the hitch resists normal twisting at the ball. I like to use as little WD as I can get away with for both of those reasons.

Hey thanks for the insight. I could change my Equil-i-zer to a 400 / 4000 but I'd be very close to the TW of the trailer (366 published). So, I'm debating 4,000 or 6,000. Either way, I think I'll be ditching the 10,000 lb setup.

Chances are that 366 published will be 500+ by the time you fit a battery and fill the LP tanks. Storage under the bed adds up quick too. To make the numbers happy, Iโ€™d go with the 600 lb bars and just enough tension to bring the front of the truck half way back down to its unloaded height. Right now Iโ€™m using 800 lb bars on my Reese HP trunnion with no sway control. Gives a nice ride with its 1,071 lb weighed tongue weight. Advertised tongue weight is 710 lbs. When I use my Equalizer 10k, itโ€™s set up so with the coupler on the ball but no weight on it, I can push the bars onto the brackets. I donโ€™t have to raise the hitch with the jack to push the bars on. Then as the weight settles it tensions the bars when I raise the jack. The front of my truck rises only 3/8โ€ so itโ€™s hard to measure how much WD itโ€™s giving it. Others will disagree but this works for me, makes it easy and it tows very well with either hitch.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
BTDT with a Nissan Frontier and a 4050 lb loaded TT. Way to stiff. I ended up with bars rated at 400-600 lbs.

With the Equalizer IIRC you can swap out the bars on them with the exception of the 1400 lb model. It uses a different head.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
nickthehunter wrote:
I don't know about your's, but on mine all I need to-do is switch out the bars when I tow a lighter trailer; the head is the same.

That is not the case with most of the Equal-i-zer bars.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
I don't know about your's, but on mine all I need to-do is switch out the bars when I tow a lighter trailer; the head is the same.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Recommend matching the WD to the tongue weight as close as possible.

If you can try yours, then borrow a set with the lower rating to compare...

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go,with the rating for your trailer. Too much WD hitch and it could cause issues!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

road_freedom
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
It'll make it ride stiff but my concern would be overstressing the tongue to chassis on the trailer. That and the resistance to allowing the truck and trailer to roll independently over uneven surfaces as the hitch resists normal twisting at the ball. I like to use as little WD as I can get away with for both of those reasons.

Hey thanks for the insight. I could change my Equil-i-zer to a 400 / 4000 but I'd be very close to the TW of the trailer (366 published). So, I'm debating 4,000 or 6,000. Either way, I think I'll be ditching the 10,000 lb setup.
Steve

2020 Silverado

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

road_freedom
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
It will make for a very stiff and rough towing experience.

Hey, thanks for the quick reply. Do you think the 6,000 lb would be appreciably smoother?
Steve

2020 Silverado

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
It will make for a very stiff and rough towing experience.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley